Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any recommendations for car rental ?

Any recommendations for car rental ?

Old Jul 28th 2004, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for all the suggestions must say at present Hertz are coming up trumps. Nice quote for 13 days hire and a big plus is the car has Sat Nav, which if anyone has ever witnessed my capabilities as a map reader then you`ll know why i need a machine.

footie xx
Old Jul 28th 2004, 4:20 pm
I CU HACKN

keyurlavingia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by footie chick
Thanks very much for all the suggestions must say at present Hertz are coming up trumps. Nice quote for 13 days hire and a big plus is the car has Sat Nav, which if anyone has ever witnessed my capabilities as a map reader then you`ll know why i need a machine.

footie xx

Satellite Navigation is only available with Hertz if I am not wrong. Its very good to have that for sure if its your first time visiting any place.

Glad it helped.

Keyur
Old Jul 28th 2004, 4:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

footie xx
If you are driving up the East coast especially north of brisbane there is onle one road anyway. You go north or south up the Bruce Highway.
Hard to get lost really

Mind you I am sure my other half could manage it

G
Old Jul 28th 2004, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

I could defiantely manage to get lost !! or otherwise storming out of the car after a blazing row because i can`t read a map.

footie x
Old Jul 28th 2004, 4:29 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I could defiantely manage to get lost !! or otherwise storming out of the car after a blazing row because i can`t read a map.

footie x
Got the T shirt

G
Old Jul 28th 2004, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

For what its worth, I have only used Avis in Sydney but would not hesitate to recommend them. Good price, good service, no messing looking for chip marks when you return it etc...

Only problem was car was a baby blue colour - missus loved it. Did nothing for my macho look though ! Think it must be their little joke with the poms
Old Jul 28th 2004, 4:38 pm
I CU HACKN

keyurlavingia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sjn2003
For what its worth, I have only used Avis in Sydney but would not hesitate to recommend them. Good price, good service, no messing looking for chip marks when you return it etc...

Only problem was car was a baby blue colour - missus loved it. Did nothing for my macho look though ! Think it must be their little joke with the poms

Same thing with Hertz too. They don't make you look around the car when u take it and they don't care for small scratches or dings when you return it back. Just make sure the fuel is full and the glass has'nt cracked Their lots have always been the biggest at any airport I've been to and so you also have a lot of choices for cars/colours.

Keyur
Old Jul 28th 2004, 9:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

footie x
Don't I remember you becoming "temporarily unsure of your position "while going from Eastbourne to Brighton once, so anythings possible!!!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh yes, i easily get lost when i`m driving. Have given up with car rental for today as all the extra`s and understanding the small print needs a clear head. God don`t just found out that you are charged extra for picking up at the airport...

Tired footie off to bed

x
Old Jul 28th 2004, 9:27 pm
Bitter and twisted

Oh yes, i easily get lost when i`m driving. Have given up with car rental for today as all the extra`s and understanding the small print needs a clear head. God don`t just found out that you are charged extra for picking up at the airport...

Tired footie off to bed

x
Footie
It will probably also cost much more if it is a one way rental Ie. Not returned to Collection point.

Keep your wits about you.

Good luck

g
Old Jul 28th 2004, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Tired footie off to bed

x
Last time I hired a car in Oz was with Budget (at Brisbane airport, drop off at Mackay). The airport surcharge was caluclated as a %age of overall rental. It would have been cheaper to get a taxi to city car hire place rather than airport. Or do a one-day hire from the airport and then swap for a city rental the next day.

Also, insurance excess - Budget charged something like $14/day to reduce the excess from $2750 to $275 (that was $200 over 2 weeks). However, I got an Oz domestic travel policy and car insurance excess cover was included in the policy - I paid $120 for a 2 week travel insurance policy (for 2 people) that included $3000 car excess, so I didn't need to pay Budget $14/day. Travel insurance was with www.suresave.com.au

The one-way rental wasn't actually that much more than return...altho some companies wanted to charge me almost double
Good luck
Old Jul 28th 2004, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point

www.acerentals.com.au worth a try

Muzzman
Old Jul 28th 2004, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Location: Colchester Essex. Off to Perth in October 2004!! VISA granted 10/07/2004.
Modmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Last time I hired a car in Oz was with Budget (at Brisbane airport, drop off at Mackay). The airport surcharge was caluclated as a %age of overall rental. It would have been cheaper to get a taxi to city car hire place rather than airport. Or do a one-day hire from the airport and then swap for a city rental the next day.

Also, insurance excess - Budget charged something like $14/day to reduce the excess from $2750 to $275 (that was $200 over 2 weeks). However, I got an Oz domestic travel policy and car insurance excess cover was included in the policy - I paid $120 for a 2 week travel insurance policy (for 2 people) that included $3000 car excess, so I didn't need to pay Budget $14/day. Travel insurance was with www.suresave.com.au

The one-way rental wasn't actually that much more than return...altho some companies wanted to charge me almost double
Good luck
Good point this goes for most Aus airports. The airport surcharges are realy high.
Get a cab to a city pickup an go from there
Old Jul 28th 2004, 9:51 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HiddenPaw

Good luck
Hertz wanted $28/day for insurance excess at Brisbane Airport a few weeks ago (I told them to shove it & i'd take my chances). The Airport surcharge was a pain. I was annoyed about all these extras, as they were not detailed when I booked on the internet.

Just be careful when leaving the airport, as the cops were speed trapping on the exit road out of the airport. What a welcome to Australia!.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any recommendations for car rental ?

When we arrive in Brisbane we intend to hire a car ?

Would appreciate any recommendations?

Thanks
We're renting for 2 weeks from East Coast Car Rentals (recommended by Gold Coasters) - rates are very competitive.

http://www.eastcoastcarrentals.com.au/rates.html

They don't charge for airport collection.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.