Reload this Page >

Any Property Developers there?

Any Property Developers there?

Old Mar 29th 2006, 10:02 am
Just Joined

tel3563 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Any Property Developers there?

Hi,
Has anyone gone to Oz and started Property Development, ie, buy old run down property, refurb and sell for profit.
Can i not do a lot of the work myself as i am the "owner" so can get a building license.
Even buying a plot of land and self building ( I am a building contractor in uk), is this an option?
Can't see myself retraining for 5 years so am hoping this could be a way round the regulations, I can get in as a Bricklayer but not as a Builder. I mainly do Developments in UK so do have a little capital to invest in property in Oz.
I am keen on Oz but theres no way i'm going back to being a sub contract bricklayer after all the hard work in UK :scared: + theres no real money in sub contracting.
Anyone with any experience of similar please advise.
Any one know of a federation or organisation (similar to Federation of Master Builders or NHBC) that will give me some plain talking advice
Cheers
Tel
Old Mar 29th 2006, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Property Developers there?

what part of oz are you looking to go to?

Originally Posted by tel3563
Hi,
Has anyone gone to Oz and started Property Development, ie, buy old run down property, refurb and sell for profit.
Can i not do a lot of the work myself as i am the "owner" so can get a building license.
Even buying a plot of land and self building ( I am a building contractor in uk), is this an option?
Can't see myself retraining for 5 years so am hoping this could be a way round the regulations, I can get in as a Bricklayer but not as a Builder. I mainly do Developments in UK so do have a little capital to invest in property in Oz.
I am keen on Oz but theres no way i'm going back to being a sub contract bricklayer after all the hard work in UK :scared: + theres no real money in sub contracting.
Any one know of a federation or organisation (similar to Federation of Master Builders or NHBC) that will give me some plain talking advice
Cheers
Tel
Old Mar 29th 2006, 10:17 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Cheers
Tel
I am currently working with a guy who planned to do just this once he came over, he is now in IT. He is very handy and totally renovated his house in the uk. He gave up the idea after 6 months. Said there were too many rules and regulations here. One of the examples he gave was that by law you are supposed to call an electrician out just to change a plug on an electrical item let alone do your own plumbing, roofing, plastering, etc etc.
But hopefully you will get some answers from people that have gone down that road as my answer is based on just hearsay.
Good luck!
Old Mar 29th 2006, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Hi,
Cheers
Tel
I believe there are too many restrictions in place to achieve this. From conversations with locals I have picked up (maybe hearsay) you cannot do anything more than the most trivial property refurbishment yourself, instead must use unionised construction workers. Plus just getting a trade licence as an expat is a major feat (getting in as a bricklayer is separate from qualifying for a trade licence).

The construction sector in Australia is one of many inflexible and highly regulated industries BUT with little protection for the consumer. IMO it would benefit from allowing a flood of overseas construction workers from Asia.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
what part of oz are you looking to go to?
Any part I can actually speculate in, any reccommendations ??
Does it matter? Cheers
Tel
Old Mar 30th 2006, 1:05 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

Hi,
Cheers
Tel
I've done this for a couple of years. Yes, you can make a living doing it over here but you need a bit of capital (which you say you have anyway) - ideally so that you have a small mortgage or none at all. Of course, you get hit by capital gains tax unless you live in the place for 12 months - or were you thinking of running it as a business? The way I was doing it was just living in the place until it was ready, then selling it and moving on to the next one.

There are, as others have said, a lot of rules over here (and they can differ by state) - but are you going to be doing all the work yourself? I got tradespeople in to do really major stuff, but if it doesn't have to be passed by council then you could easily do plumbing and electrical work (especially if minor) yourself if you are competent. I even had electricians telling me I should do this and not waste their time!

I'm now back in office work for a bit (basically to have a break from it), but will definitely do this again in a year or two - it was one of the reasons why I came to Australia.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 1:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Budgie
I've done this for a couple of years. Yes, you can make a living doing it over here but you need a bit of capital (which you say you have anyway) - ideally so that you have a small mortgage or none at all. Of course, you get hit by capital gains tax unless you live in the place for 12 months - or were you thinking of running it as a business? The way I was doing it was just living in the place until it was ready, then selling it and moving on to the next one.

There are, as others have said, a lot of rules over here (and they can differ by state) - but are you going to be doing all the work yourself? I got tradespeople in to do really major stuff, but if it doesn't have to be passed by council then you could easily do plumbing and electrical work (especially if minor) yourself if you are competent. I even had electricians telling me I should do this and not waste their time!

I'm now back in office work for a bit (basically to have a break from it), but will definitely do this again in a year or two - it was one of the reasons why I came to Australia.
tftr, what do you mean one of the reasons why I came to Australia?? If I was to buy a run down property would i be able to refurbish it and sell it on, what is the capital gains tax in Australia, surely they are trying to get investment in the country
Old Mar 30th 2006, 1:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Budgie

Budgie, i've been in building trade 24 years, can't see myfelf going into office work, basically i want to make a lot of money at property renovation, from the estate agents houses i've looked at, there is a massive market over there, the decor and planning are ludicrous, what do you think??
Tel
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Budgie, i've been in building trade 24 years, can't see myfelf going into office work, basically i want to make a lot of money at property renovation, from the estate agents houses i've looked at, there is a massive market over there, the decor and planning are ludicrous, what do you think??
Tel
You need to start by checking out the state your going to.

EG qld you would need a lic for any work over $1000

Owners builder permits are more a one off thing and have restrictions when you sell.

Tax dept would see somebody doing up numerous homes as income and they would tax it.

you need to employ a licensed tradie for most trades anyway, eg plumber, tiler, waterpoofer, carpenter, electricain.............. all have seperate licenses.

Very few homes are sold here without a building inspection, if its just been renovated first question will be where is the approval and certificates from licensed tradesman.

Theres loads of threads on building and licenses on this forum just do a search.