Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any PR Visa holders not going for reasons below?

Any PR Visa holders not going for reasons below?

Old Dec 30th 2010, 11:48 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any PR Visa holders not going for reasons below?

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
It's damn difficult to have any quality of life if you are permanently skint.
....but what about the sunshine, beach and free BBQs?
Old Dec 30th 2010, 11:52 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
True but then we come back to the old BE question of what is quality of life.
There's no answer to that question as you know, it's totally subjective. One persons amazing quality of life is another persons bland nightmare.

Some of the posters on this thread think they have a very high QOL now in the UK...and also think they could enjoy a similar high QOL in Australia. It's perfectly sensible to bring the finances into it. People work towards financial security later in life, or as early in life as possible. Changing your entire life's worth into AUD at the moment doesn't seem like a sensible plan...or will set you back years at least.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 11:52 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Don't forget the dolphins....won't someone think of the dolphins!!
Old Dec 30th 2010, 11:54 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
Originally Posted by bcworld
Don't forget the dolphins....won't someone think of the dolphins!!
Perhaps I could put some dolphin on the free BBQ's?
Old Dec 30th 2010, 11:54 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Sorted
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

I'm going to organise a protest
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:03 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
The situation the OP is talking about is very different, they want to retire, they have paid off the mortgage, they don't know if they want to start again. It is different situation to somebody that is maybe starting out on life's great adventure.

Very easy for people who have not got the bulk of their working years behind them to say it doesn't matter start again.
Very valid point, I don't think Australia is the ideal place to retire to. But then again, I dont think it ever was. It always seemed (to me anyway) as a land of opportunity for young people who were starting out. Immigration is supposed to counter a greying population, not exacerbate it!

The problem is compounded not only by the high Australian dollar, but also by the general financial malaise in much of the western world. I haven't seen that many European backpackers and tourists this year - I suspect many are keen to keep the job they have, or can't afford to come because they don't have a job.

Retiring somewhere cheap and warm is a reasonable idea though. I am back working in Manilia Next week. The Philippines are very "retiree" friendly, and it's a shedload cheaper than Australia. Similarly Thailand seems full of refugees these days. Maybe that might be a better option.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:08 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
The problem is compounded not only by the high Australian dollar, but also by the general financial malaise in much of the western world. I haven't seen that many European backpackers and tourists this year - I suspect many are keen to keep the job they have, or can't afford to come because they don't have a job.
I see exactly the opposite.

Almost every morning on the train I hear Irish accents on the way into the city...mostly girls. On the way back there are almost always Irish guys dressed in their construction gear getting on at the station I change at. There seem to be loads of em.

Plenty of other Euro travellers as well but the Irish seem to be by far and way the biggest group.

My area is popular with longer stay backpackers, particularly the Irish it seems.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Very valid point, I don't think Australia is the ideal place to retire to. But then again, I dont think it ever was. It always seemed (to me anyway) as a land of opportunity for young people who were starting out. Immigration is supposed to counter a greying population, not exacerbate it!

Retiring somewhere cheap and warm is a reasonable idea though. I am back working in Manilia Next week. The Philippines are very "retiree" friendly, and it's a shedload cheaper than Australia. Similarly Thailand seems full of refugees these days. Maybe that might be a better option.
agree entirely
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Almost every morning on the train I hear Irish accents on the way into the city...mostly girls. On the way back there are almost always Irish guys dressed in their construction gear getting on at the station I change at. There seem to be loads of em.

Plenty of other Euro travellers as well but the Irish seem to be by far and way the biggest group.

My area is popular with longer stay backpackers, particularly the Irish it seems.
Funnily enough, there has been quite a lot of Irish construction workers working at our site this year. A lot of them seem to be in the (light) rail industry.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:13 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

I admit there are still a few Irish around, but nothing like the numbers that were here in the days before the Celtic tiger roared. Fifteen years ago every city bar was full of young Europeans - huge numbers of French, English and Irish. I just don't see the same numbers. Maybe I'm getting old......
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:13 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

True the irish backpacker population has surged. Ireland is in the toilet economically and the building industry is the brush.

Edit - Yes I actually agree coming here to be skint is no fun. However if you can afford to live thats different

Last edited by Zambia; Dec 30th 2010 at 12:17 pm. Reason: wrong post ... no idea how much the op is bringing
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:18 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

I admit there are still a few Irish around, but nothing like the numbers that were here in the days before the Celtic tiger roared. Fifteen years ago every city bar was full of young Europeans - huge numbers of French, English and Irish. I just don't see the same numbers. Maybe I'm getting old......
Mate there are loads plus they live in St Kilda , god know how they afford it I meet one sharing a room there for 330 a week.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

OP never mind about the nice weather and how somebody else moved over without two cents to rub together and how you should commit financial suicide or you never deserved this visa in the first place. I would have bet my house that these type of responses would come up as soon as I read the first post

If you suddenly lost your visa tomorrow, how disappointed would you be? Would you be disappointed at all or would you actually feel a tiny bit relieved?

If you would be relieved then maybe you should write off what you have spent to date on getting the visa and get on with your perfectly satisfactory UK life. The time and effort spent is gone and no use crying over it. It wasn't meant to be.

However if you would be very disappointed about losing the opportunity then why not look into other options. Rent the UK house out, bring over as little money as you can get away with and rent an apartment to try out the Australian life.

If it doesn't work out then at least you will have had a couple of years (maybe) use out of the visa and will have had a good life experience.

I know it is doom and gloom in the UK at the moment and the exchange rate is rubbish, but it will recover. It always does.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:23 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Talking Re: Any PR Visa holders not going for reasons below?

Originally Posted by Zambia
Mate there are loads plus they live in St Kilda , god know how they afford it I meet one sharing a room there for 330 a week.
There are a lot of share houses with a continuous turnover of people. It's no different to how many Aussie WHV'ers live over in relatively pricey parts of London. I would imagine some of these guys working in construction are probably making decent money - they probably either just dont want or can't get a 6 month lease on their own place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.