Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any plumbers in brisbane?

Any plumbers in brisbane?

Old Mar 19th 2007, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of
Default Any plumbers in brisbane?

After everything going so smoothly for us, (knew it was too good to be true) hubbie is finding it really hard to get work as a Plumber! every job hes applied for states licenced plumber and cause he's only got prov licence they don't want to know! He's been plumbing for over 20 years in the UK, but that dont mean a thing over here! We've heard the horror stories before but didn't realise it could get this bad, you get granted ur visa, get ur prov licence, enrol for courses to get ur proper licence and then BANG u can't get a job, there are loads of jobs advertised, trade shortage and all that! but they won't give you a job!
So if there are any plumbers out there that could help, let us know.
Thanks Jox:curse:
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of
Default Re: Any plumbers in brisbane?

dont know where this thread has been moved to!
Old Mar 19th 2007, 11:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joanneS
dont know where this thread has been moved to!
The Australia Lifestyle forum, same place as all the other threads on brisbane plumbers. More likely to get an answer in here
Old Mar 19th 2007, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

After everything going so smoothly for us, (knew it was too good to be true) hubbie is finding it really hard to get work as a Plumber! every job hes applied for states licenced plumber and cause he's only got prov licence they don't want to know! He's been plumbing for over 20 years in the UK, but that dont mean a thing over here! We've heard the horror stories before but didn't realise it could get this bad, you get granted ur visa, get ur prov licence, enrol for courses to get ur proper licence and then BANG u can't get a job, there are loads of jobs advertised, trade shortage and all that! but they won't give you a job!
So if there are any plumbers out there that could help, let us know.
Thanks Jox:curse:
Been here since sept 05 gave up trying in the end, been an apprentice 3 times in the UK already did not want to do it all again at 40.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

loopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really nice

hiya

not been on here for a while and just thought i would browse through and see what was happening on british expats.

my hubby too is a plumber and unfortunately knew all this before we came out, hubby having to go back to tafe and stuff and doing a "yellow ticket for plumbing" course for migrants etc etc, we know exactly what you are going through and prepared ourselves for the long haul of rejections. to cut long story short we contacted the tafe in yeronga and spoke to a bloke called george zahara who was very very helpful. he put hubby on this course but also suggested that because paul was corgi registered he may be able to get his gas licence straight away, which he did, within a couple of weeks sent his cv to a company and they offered him a job straight away. paul is now doing his college stuff on the side (when he gets time to do it) and eventually will be able to get his plumbing licence whilst gaining experience working on some pretty big industrial boilers.

anyway, he has now successfully finished his 3 month probabation and is quite happy for the moment gaining the experience which could perhaps eventually lead him up to the mines where all the mega money is made.

if you have any queries or need any more info let me know and i will dig out what i can for you.

hope it helps
loopyloo2
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your replies! Its so frustrating and annoying the situation of the trades out here! I just can't understand they are crying out for skilled tradesmen here and the same jobs are advertised cause they cant get the men cause of this crazy red tape rules! Hubbie hasn't got his corgi gas so can't even go down that line.
Anyone out there that can help in any way thanks
Jox
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:08 am

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

bugger mate hope things improve for you. i thought everything with you guys was A-ok. really feel for you. fingers crossed mate
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Jac, just answered this on your other thread! hope u wake up in the morning and feel more positive!
Jox
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies! Its so frustrating and annoying the situation of the trades out here! I just can't understand they are crying out for skilled tradesmen here and the same jobs are advertised cause they cant get the men cause of this crazy red tape rules! Hubbie hasn't got his corgi gas so can't even go down that line.
Jox
I think a lot of the jobs are advertised over and over cause they are agencies. Or very badly paid plumber job with a brisbane local council was advertised around the $40,000 per annum.

Another little trick to know when looking at jobs in prime destinations, like cities/beach resorts is that many ads are not actually in those destinations but the rural/remote (read stinking hot nobody wants to live in in a one horse town, where they really cant get workers). That applies to newspapers too despite the job being advertised on the coast for eg it may be 4 - 16 hours away!.

Weve been in this industry a long time, I dont know of anyone screaming for tradespeople as much as it gets said, some have vacancies sure, but when they arise plenty of good applicants apply and competition is strong.

Best way without a full licence is to apply as a trades assistant to get the experience.

Last edited by jad n rich; Mar 21st 2007 at 3:43 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 6:21 pm
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

Oh goodness me...we are coming out to Brisbane on 6th June and my husband has been a corgi registered plumber for 20 years! Reading all these threads has made me really nervous! Does anyone know if there is anything we can do whilst over here in the Uk for the last few weeks before we come out to start the ball rolling? Or anyone we can contact for advice? How would we live in Oz without a wage coming in if Lee cant work? Scarey thought!!
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 6:23 pm
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

H E L P !!!!!

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

kevscotoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Any plumbers in brisbane?

Hi there is it just the Bribane area that is difficult getting work certif`s, I am a plumber looking at Adelaideand have heard it is easier to get certf`s in South Aus. Don`t know if this is true it is quite confussing to get a straight answer Also if anybody can tell me while we are on the subject is Adelaide short on plumbers????
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

not to sure about SA but I know it can't be any worse than QLD!
If youve got corgi u should be able to change it over straight away and just work on the gas side! (thats what I have read anyway)!
Jx
Old Apr 20th 2007, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

tallboy21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jox
hi jox were about are you in the redland i live in alex hills, weve been here for about 15 months & i am in the same boat, i have got my gas licence but i am not useing it as i am fixing evaporative coolers for $20.00 an hour
if i can be of any help let me know
regards barry
Old Apr 20th 2007, 6:34 am
Enjoying the good life!

Originally Posted by tallboy21
hi jox were about are you in the redland i live in alex hills, weve been here for about 15 months & i am in the same boat, i have got my gas licence but i am not useing it as i am fixing evaporative coolers for $20.00 an hour
if i can be of any help let me know
regards barry
Hya, wondering if you can give me some advice, we are landing in Brisbane on 6th June and oh is a Corgi reg plumber (21 years). How long did it take you to get your licence, was it difficult, expensive, what did you have to do ie course, how long, where did you attend? Is there anything we can do prior to leaving to get registered or apply to a college for licence? Do you have to be an apprentice all over again, if so what are the wages like?
Sorry about firing so many questions but have heard so many horror stories on here and would like the advice of someone who has been there done that so to speak in the last few months. Any advice would be greatly apprechiated. Cheers Sarah & Lee.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.