Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any pilots here?

Any pilots here?

Old Jul 6th 2004, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Marakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the rough
Default Any pilots here?

So, with this whole 747 thread...

Anybody else here a pilot? Are you planning on converting your ticket? What do you fly? What ratings?

Mike
Old Jul 6th 2004, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

hello, other half's not a commercial pilot, only has his private, but he's an aircraft engineer with BA. (I'm a Dispatcher/Load Controller, call it what you like, with them.) He's having to sit exams to convert his license bit of a nightmare. Sooooooooo much, for all aircraft types etc.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

trainee_pilot will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by logan
hello, other half's not a commercial pilot, only has his private, but he's an aircraft engineer with BA. (I'm a Dispatcher/Load Controller, call it what you like, with them.) He's having to sit exams to convert his license bit of a nightmare. Sooooooooo much, for all aircraft types etc.
half way through private pilots licence, always thought to go commercial u needed to spend a further £13k on lessons etc, dreaming of the day when I get that many hours in and that much money spare to be a glorified bus driver (someone elses terminology for oz pilots on here lol)
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Marakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, i guess I missed going commercial. Was on my way until 9/11 then the bottom fell out.

Got my private and instrument with complex and high-perf endorsement. I expect it will cost me about AUD1000-2000 to convert my license. Hopefully less.

Where will you guys be flying out of? Being in Melbourne I'm looking at Moorabbin and Tyabb.

Mike
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Only got a private pilots licence, but its better than nothing; best mate is a First Officer for a British airline; another mate who is a cabin crew trainer, so I'm well immersed in the aviation world, though by no means good enough to ever consider going commercial myself.
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Pollyana
Only got a private pilots licence, but its better than nothing; best mate is a First Officer for a British airline; another mate who is a cabin crew trainer, so I'm well immersed in the aviation world, though by no means good enough to ever consider going commercial myself.
My CFI who now flies for the airlines states that the only difference from private to commercial is even more bureaucracy and worse hours...

Mike
Old Jul 6th 2004, 9:44 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

He's not far wrong there!My mate still flies "baby planes" for fun, cos it says its nice to fly without all the paperwork and hassles sometimes.
He is also going about things backwards, but then thats typical of him - got the airline job first, but is now qualifying as an instructor for PPL students - to do for relaxation!!!!
Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

He's not far wrong there!My mate still flies "baby planes" for fun, cos it says its nice to fly without all the paperwork and hassles sometimes.
He is also going about things backwards, but then thats typical of him - got the airline job first, but is now qualifying as an instructor for PPL students - to do for relaxation!!!!
So, does he flare at 200ft above ground level in a 172 too?

Mike
Old Jul 7th 2004, 8:02 am
Home and Happy

So, does he flare at 200ft above ground level in a 172 too
It has been known!!! He has also been heard announcing at Shoreham (runway approx 900 metres at the time) that he was an Airbus on finals to land........ caused a little consternation in ATC!
Old Jul 7th 2004, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope, not a pilot....but a skydiver a MUCH more interesting way to kill yourself lol

Take my hat off to all you bus drivers though. You get us to altitude pretty quick, which is the main thing

Russ

(wouldn't mind doing PPL, but the co$t puts me off...thats waaay too many jump tickets/beer to forgo just for the priviledge of sitting in the front seat
Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Does anyone know what the rough cost of getting a PPL is in OZ (Perth area). I heard it was cheaper to achieve in OZ than in the UK.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:47 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by darkless
Does anyone know what the rough cost of getting a PPL is in OZ (Perth area). I heard it was cheaper to achieve in OZ than in the UK.
And prices for the Sydney area too please if anyone has any information. I've done 2 hours in a Cessna and jumped from 13500 feet. I think I will pursue the plane route as it saves on the laundry
Old Jul 7th 2004, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by darkless
Really good question and the answer to this if anyone can help would be brilliant .My son wants to be a pilot someday but realise it costs loads to train etc.Would love to do it myself too.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Dreamaway 10
Really good question and the answer to this if anyone can help would be brilliant .My son wants to be a pilot someday but realise it costs loads to train etc.Would love to do it myself too.
Found this out

http://www.aviationinst.com.au/courses.html#ppl

looks like about $10,000 for PPL

That said I am sure I have seen somewhere it said about $6500 - but i cant find the link any more.

I must admit the notion of being able to fly a plane up tot shark bay etc for the weekend is very appealing

Dave
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

It has been known!!! He has also been heard announcing at Shoreham (runway approx 900 metres at the time) that he was an Airbus on finals to land........ caused a little consternation in ATC!
OMG! I would have paid to hear that.

Like the airline driver who was ticked off with ATC and their lack of responsiveness.

He wanted to get their attention and get some room on the airways...

... so he anounced "<airline 666>, student pilot, with a request".

He got their attention REAL FAST!

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.