Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any paramedics working in Melbourne?

Any paramedics working in Melbourne?

Old Sep 30th 2008, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

mollyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any paramedics working in Melbourne?

Hope to be in Melbourne (Mount Martha), by July 09 and would really like to hear from anyone already working there. Seems to be loads of QAS people but not many in Melbourne!
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Alan.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

theotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nice
Default Re: Any paramedics working in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by mollyb
Hope to be in Melbourne (Mount Martha), by July 09 and would really like to hear from anyone already working there. Seems to be loads of QAS people but not many in Melbourne!
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Alan.
More NEAS staff leaving lol! I'm off to NSW
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure someone will be along to help you.

Its a lovely area and I am sure you will be very happy here especially as you already know about it and have friends here.

I guess you would be working around the Frankston Mornington Peninsula Area and Frankston Hospital is the nearest one when not on bypass otherwise you have to head to another one

Two of my daughters girl friends are paramedics in the area and she tells me they are happy enough.

Bit of a who ha at the moment on whether they should have single paramedics buzzing around but think its been put on hold as everyone kicked up about it.

Large aged population in the area.

Mum got taken to hospital at Easter and she lives on the Peninsula and the guys were wonderful very nice people.

Hope that someone who works in the department comes along to help for you.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply 4Margaret!
I thought I would have had a better response but I suppose a lot of people go to other states because you can get sponsorship. I`ll have to wait to get to Melbourne before I can apply. Coming on my wifes visa as shes a psych nurse. Really looking forward to coming to the Peninsula! I actually work as a rapid response paramedic here. It`s been really developed here the last few years.
Thanks again.
Alan
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by theotherphil
More NEAS staff leaving lol! I'm off to NSW
Afraid so Are you another neas jumping ship? where you at?
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

theotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nice

Afraid so Are you another neas jumping ship? where you at?
Yep, I'm NEAS too but a little further south Another guy in my area is off to Queensland. There'll be no Ambo staff left here soon lol!
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by theotherphil
Yep, I'm NEAS too but a little further south Another guy in my area is off to Queensland. There'll be no Ambo staff left here soon lol!
I`ve got a few jealous workmates that`s for sure. Have you seen the QAS thread? Couldn`t believe how many are giving it a try.
good luck to you in NSW
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

OH is a project manager for Ambulance Service Victoria - what did you want to know?
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by flip
OH is a project manager for Ambulance Service Victoria - what did you want to know?
Great!! Can you give me loads of info about them? Anything from recruitment possibilities to shift patterns and wages. I have been told that the private AS do recruit uk paramedics but is it similar to MAS, in that you need to have skills assessed and matched? I would consider any company, as long as I can get a job. My concern is that once in Melbourne, the MAS may not recruit for some time. Is your OH a paramedic as well?
Sorry for all the questions. I have tried searching the net for contacts but with no success. Just re-done my CV!! It`s probably a bit soon to be getting in-touch but just want to gather as much info as possible.

Do they cover the Peninsula?
Thanks for any help. Much appreciated.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

You should not have a problem and it will go in your favour because no doubt the powers that be will win.

I guess you have looked at the site but will give you the address to help.

http://www.ambulance-vic.com.au/Main...-to-apply.html

Australia is short of people in the medical field so you and your oh will be most welcome.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Great!! Can you give me loads of info about them? Anything from recruitment possibilities to shift patterns and wages. I have been told that the private AS do recruit uk paramedics but is it similar to MAS, in that you need to have skills assessed and matched? I would consider any company, as long as I can get a job. My concern is that once in Melbourne, the MAS may not recruit for some time. Is your OH a paramedic as well?
Sorry for all the questions. I have tried searching the net for contacts but with no success. Just re-done my CV!! It`s probably a bit soon to be getting in-touch but just want to gather as much info as possible.

Do they cover the Peninsula?
Thanks for any help. Much appreciated.
Hi - I've sent this on to OH who'll speak to someone early next week as he's leaving work in a few minutes.

If you're a qualified paramedic I know you'll be very welcome - OH isn't a paramedic himself but he's been to many of the branches and was at Frankston only the other day. Ambulance Victoria (Metro and Rural have just merged) covers the whole of Victoria.

I'll send more info to you as soon as I get it in the meantime you may want to email me any other questions or a synopsis of quals and experience so he'll have more to work with. He isn't in recruitment but will know those who are.

All the best

Carolyn
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

He got back to me sooner than expected and agrees the best thing to do is to send you the link www.ambulance.vic.gov.au, then head for "careers" then "paramedics" then "how to apply" where there's a contact to send details to. Thereafter they'll contact candidates prior to
the next recruitment round - they're after over 200 paramedics at the moment as they're funding a lot of new teams.

Entry is at different levels so depends on qualifications and experience - all
new recruits are now via graduate entry - but existing paramedics can
enter at QAP - qualified ambulance paramedic, or AP(ALS) with advanced life
skills or as MICA(Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic) - he doesn't think many outside Australia are qualified to this level and would require additional
training/exams

MAS is now AV - Ambulance Victoria as metro and rural have merged.

The old metropolitan area is split into 6 groups and Group 1 covers Frankston and the Peninsula - but as they now include rural we can go beyond the peninsula as well starting from Koo Wee Rup outwards.

So recruitment opportunities are good - they use private companies such as NPT and MTS for non-emerg transports.

It's probably best to forward CV and details etc as per website to
[email protected]

Hope this all helps and best of luck.

Carolyn
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Hi Carolyn,
thanks for your help with this. I have already registered my interest through human resources dep of the vic ambo service and I have the paperwork ready to send off for skills matching. Nice to know that they do need a lot more paramedics in the future. Do the private companys have links to e-mail Cv, as I`ve looked and can`t find any. Just a safety net really as I would ideally want to get a job as a parameicic in the public AS.
I have guessed that I will come in on a lower level than I am here. I would have vallued any info on shift patterns and wages if you could enquire for me!! I could PM you if you prefer.
I`m going away for a couple of days, so won`t be on for a while.
Thanks again.
Alan
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Hi Carolyn,
thanks for your help with this. I have already registered my interest through human resources dep of the vic ambo service and I have the paperwork ready to send off for skills matching. Nice to know that they do need a lot more paramedics in the future. Do the private companys have links to e-mail Cv, as I`ve looked and can`t find any. Just a safety net really as I would ideally want to get a job as a parameicic in the public AS.
I have guessed that I will come in on a lower level than I am here. I would have vallued any info on shift patterns and wages if you could enquire for me!! I could PM you if you prefer.
I`m going away for a couple of days, so won`t be on for a while.
Thanks again.
Alan
Hi Alan, just a quick note...most services in Australia will only employ British Para's to Advanced Care Paramedic which will mean you taking a cut in skills and pay. This is purely for "bums on seats" to mentor all the new students. This isn't an issue for a lot of staff. Certainly, a guy I know going to QAS has 20+ years service here in the UK and is happy to take a step back and chill a little. If you're a little younger however, your skills and responsibilities may be important to you.

NSW (as far as I know), is the only state to correctly skills match UK para's to Intensive Care Paramedic. I have been skills matched to ICP as have many others I know going out there.

Food for thought if you are in the process of building a career. Not so bad if you're happy to step back a little.