British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Any painting work in perth at the moment (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/any-painting-work-perth-moment-609779/)

IRISH-EYES May 18th 2009 8:10 am

Any painting work in perth at the moment

Hi all just joined the other day love reading all the post, just wondering is there much painting work in perth at the moment ?,

I was painting in Ireland for 16 years and i got sick of the weather there, i'm over in thailand at the moment and would love to go to perth, i know work is slow every where now but worth a try,

Thanks all :thumbsup:

irishfamily May 19th 2009 3:59 am

Re: Any painting work in perth at the moment

Irish-eyes try the local western australia newspaper and some agencys Im sure if u ook hard enough u will get something .What part of ireland r u from ???

hoofie2002 May 19th 2009 5:45 am

Originally Posted by IRISH-EYES (Post 7581251)
Hi all just joined the other day love reading all the post, just wondering is there much painting work in perth at the moment ?,

I was painting in Ireland for 16 years and i got sick of the weather there, i'm over in thailand at the moment and would love to go to perth, i know work is slow every where now but worth a try,

If you're over 30 you don't qualify for a Working Holiday Visa and are basically stuffed. Don't even think about coming here on a Travel Visa and working.

IRISH-EYES May 19th 2009 6:57 am

Originally Posted by irishfamily (Post 7583945)
Irish-eyes try the local western australia newspaper and some agencys Im sure if u ook hard enough u will get something .What part of ireland r u from ???

Hi sharon thanks for your reply i'm from the west of Ireland ( Galway ) its always cold and raining here LOL,

I should have gone to austraila years ago but its looks like its to late for me now, you have to under 30 to get a working holliday visa,

Again sharon thanks for your reply :thumbsup:

Amazulu May 19th 2009 7:08 am

Originally Posted by hoofie2002 (Post 7584223)
Don't even think about coming here on a Travel Visa and working.

I did.

hoofie2002 May 19th 2009 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 7584430)
I did.

Since when was that legal ?

Amazulu May 19th 2009 10:30 am

Originally Posted by hoofie2002 (Post 7584660)
Since when was that legal ?

It wasn't.

IRISH-EYES May 19th 2009 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 7584862)
It wasn't.

LOL :thumbup:

innojuk May 20th 2009 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 7584430)
I did.

I know someone who did it 20 years ago, they got caught by Immigration and were offered two choices:

1) Be deported
2) Pay tax on the money he had earned during his stay, fill out some forms and be given a PR Visa.

Guess which he chose !! ;-)

hoofie2002 May 20th 2009 9:32 am

Originally Posted by innojuk (Post 7587856)
I know someone who did it 20 years ago, they got caught by Immigration and were offered two choices:

1) Be deported
2) Pay tax on the money he had earned during his stay, fill out some forms and be given a PR Visa.

Guess which option probably applies now - 1 only.

IRISH-EYES May 20th 2009 10:12 am

Thanks for all the replys, i would like to be sponsored by a painting company if that was possible but i know work is hard to find at the moment,

Any way thanks again for all your help, i'll keep on looking till i find something :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Amazulu May 20th 2009 11:29 am

Originally Posted by innojuk (Post 7587856)

1) Be deported

I paid tax whilst I was working - I could have claimed some back as well as I only worked for about 6 months but did not want to push it!

When I filled out my PR application forms, I declared that I had worked illegally and had no comeback whatsoever. Easy peasy.

sj oldfield May 20th 2009 11:32 am

Originally Posted by IRISH-EYES (Post 7581251)

Why not try for a skilled visa?

Dorothy May 20th 2009 11:48 am

Originally Posted by IRISH-EYES (Post 7588123)
Thanks for all the replys, i would like to be sponsored by a painting company if that was possible but i know work is hard to find at the moment,

Any way thanks again for all your help, i'll keep on looking till i find something :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Pretty unlikely to be sponsored by a painting company. Tradie work is drying up here, so if you qualify for a visa on your skills you would be best to apply for the visa first and find work once you get here.

First point woud be...Do you qualify for a visa? www.immi.gov.au