Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any opinions on Jondaloop v Rockingham Perth?

Any opinions on Jondaloop v Rockingham Perth?

Old Jan 15th 2006, 7:38 am
Just Joined

The Beeches is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any opinions on Jondaloop v Rockingham Perth?

Hiya,

We have been is Australia 3 years. We travelled around Australia for 5 months before settling in Perth. We did all the major cities. For us Perth is the best place to live. We live in Connolly the next suburb to Joondalup. We think if you move to Perth the best place to be is near Joondalup which has everything. Its 25 mins the the city and the beaches are close by. We settled well when we moved. We have also just opened an apartment/B&B in Connolly. We are on a really good web site which is also really good for immigrants moving to Perth which is.

http://www.immigrate-to-a-new-life-i...-connolly.html

Best wishes,

The Beeches
Old Jan 15th 2006, 7:40 am
Just Joined

The Beeches is an unknown quantity at this point

P.s

Cannot comment on Rockingham as not been there but alot of Poms head there as well as Joondalup area.

The Beeches
Old Jan 15th 2006, 8:30 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
Rockinham itself is pretty yukky but some of the suburbs south of it are nice.

Because these suburbs (Secret harbour, Port Kennedy, Singleton etc) are all fairly new and planned they have a similar feel to Joondalup, which is also fairly new and planned.

I would say the big difference is in the area of services. Joondalup has good access to city and better shopping facilities. Rockingham City Shopping Centre is CRAP. Its OK for groceries but if you need clothes, homewares etc, forget it. Most of the folk in Rockingham go to Booragoon or Westfield if they want decent shopping (both are over 30 mins away). With Joondalup you have everything on your doorstep. There is a trainline being built from Perth to Rockingham but wont be finished til 2007 so if working in CBD you have to drive which takes about an hour (or you can drive to South St, Park and Ride and get the bus, slightly quicker but not much). Joondalup already has a train line and it takes about 25 mins to get to the CBD.

In terms of beaches and leisure facilities I would say they are about the same. Head south from Rockingham and there are some fabby beaches and Mandurah is also fairly close (just dont head north or you get the Kwinana industrial strip, waters fairly clean it just feels wrong cos of all the factories).
If you live in SH, PK etc you are no more than 5 mins from the beach, whereas in Joondalup you also have easy access to some great beaches, but they are prob about 15mins away as Joondalup is slightly more inland.

Both towns have good access to national parks, and there are some good small boutique wineries near both.

The best thing is to rent furnished accomodation for a few weeks when you get here and explore both to see what you personally feel about them.

Personally I wouldnt live in either Rockingham or Joondalup, much prefer the Hills area as it has more character and is much prettier than the costal plain. Plus the block sizes are bigger so you get more "bang for your buck" .

What areas in the hills would you recommend? We we have up to 430,000 to spend in $ and would want a 4 bed. Any suggestions?
Thanks for you help
Old Jan 15th 2006, 8:37 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Thank you to everyone whohas replied. It is amazing the amount of useful information this website provides!

Those of you living in Perth do you find it too far away from everything else? That is the only thing drawing me to the east coast.

Have a good Sunday!
Old Jan 15th 2006, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Vernons
Hello

Thank you to everyone whohas replied. It is amazing the amount of useful information this website provides!

Those of you living in Perth do you find it too far away from everything else? That is the only thing drawing me to the east coast.

Have a good Sunday!
Hi

Too far away from WHAT??

K
Old Jan 15th 2006, 8:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Have a good Sunday!
The further away from the east coast, the better.

Independance for WA I say!
Old Jan 15th 2006, 9:05 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Originally Posted by kimi
Hi

Too far away from WHAT??

K

Well I am just a little bit worried that we would have to fly to the east coast to do things like the barrier reef, whitsundays, fraser island and Sydney and I am not sure if we would be in a position to jump on a plane all the time (the plane we jump on will be heading back to the uk to see family we wont come to us!) so I want to make sure that after a few years there is still plenty to keep us occupied during the holidays. Have you found there to be loads to do up and down the coast?
Thanks
Old Jan 15th 2006, 9:30 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

What areas in the hills would you recommend? We we have up to 430,000 to spend in $ and would want a 4 bed. Any suggestions?
Thanks for you help
Kalamunda, Gooseberry Hill, Roleystone, Glen Forrest, Lesmurdie, Mt Helena in that order.

My all time fav is Gooseberry Hill but Kalamunda has the best services and the best public transport so that kinda puts it at number one.

Roleystone, Glen Forest & Mt Helena are a bit further out from the CBD than the others. (and consequently either cheaper or bigger). Roleystone is pretty, pretty, pretty, plus it has Aruluen Golf Resort on the doorstep .....

If you want city views then Gooseberry Hill, Kalamunda & Lesmurdie are the place to be, although you would struggle to get city views and 4x2 for $430k, but could get 3x2 or 4x1 if prepared to do a bit of refurb & extension. Also there are still a couple of half acre blocks being advertised for about the $320k mark so if you put a small house up initially and then extended as you could afford it, you could end up with something quite amazing and expensive long term (10+ years). There are a number of companies that will put up kit homes/barns or transportables for under $40k and on a half acre you could eventually use this as a guest cottage once the main house is built. That way you could take 5-8 years to build the main house. This option might be a bit "outside the box" for most expats who seem to (generally) want everything "right here right now", but lots of Aussies are doing this and making a killing. I just wish I had thought of it when we first arrived. Now its going to be at least another 3 years while we refurbish our current house before I can do the land/kit/build idea

http://www.hills-homes.com/ is a good website if looking for hills property but it doesnt have photos. Otherwise check www.reiwa.com.au or www.aussiehome.com.au.

Last edited by Vegemite Kids; Jan 15th 2006 at 9:59 am.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 9:38 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am just a little bit worried that we would have to fly to the east coast to do things like the barrier reef, whitsundays, fraser island and Sydney and I am not sure if we would be in a position to jump on a plane all the time (the plane we jump on will be heading back to the uk to see family we wont come to us!) so I want to make sure that after a few years there is still plenty to keep us occupied during the holidays. Have you found there to be loads to do up and down the coast?
Thanks
To be honest, you're going to be too busy working to be jetting off east every other week end. At the most you would go once a year and you can get flight (including taxes) for under $250 per person if booked in advance and are semi flexible. WA has so many hidden gems to explore that it could be years before yuou need to leave the state. Try Ningaloo for a start, not as big as the barrier but equally (if not more) spectacular. Take a cruise up the Kimberly or do the loop down south and into the goldfields. You will be blown away.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

Thanks
Hi

Theres always Broome, Exmouth, the Gorges at Kalbarri, The Kimberleys etc etd

I am sure others will say more

K
Old Jan 15th 2006, 11:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

We had a look round Rockingham today. Rockingham town is not that nice but there are some beautiful beaches around that area. Peron point is lovely, very calm water, great for kids & we saw some dolphins. Then they go & spoil the area by building a bland, sterile, legoland development like Secret Harbour next to a fantastic beach. Bizarre.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kerry&co
I,ve visited all thoses places excpet bilbra, found Rockingham not very exicting, lots of straight roads with mc donalds etc and loads and loads of bunglows, although the was a fanstic island there penguin island which was beatiful load of widelife it,s also way out of perth jondallop is a better bet close to coast and perth centre plus there's not a bad shopping centre there.
Is this a wind up about rockingham.Rockingham may not be the most exciting place in the world, depends what you want and every need is different but
"lots of straight roads",lol what do you want bendy roads," lots of macdonalds in rockingham" we have 1 in rocky city and the rest are dotted in each suburb after that, and "loads and loads of bungalows" welcome to australia, unless you have got the money to build a 2 storey home you should stay put, if this is putting you off moving to rockingham then it may put you off moving to Australia as it is pretty much the same in most states and yes i have visited a few of those.......And yeah you guessed it i live in and love Rockingham,so any other rockie wannabees dont be put off by this post, its a great city with great beaches , great atmosphere, not too busy and not too far away from perth if you want to go there......jan hutchy
Old Jan 17th 2006, 3:02 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
Kalamunda, Gooseberry Hill, Roleystone, Glen Forrest, Lesmurdie, Mt Helena in that order.

My all time fav is Gooseberry Hill but Kalamunda has the best services and the best public transport so that kinda puts it at number one.

Roleystone, Glen Forest & Mt Helena are a bit further out from the CBD than the others. (and consequently either cheaper or bigger). Roleystone is pretty, pretty, pretty, plus it has Aruluen Golf Resort on the doorstep .....

If you want city views then Gooseberry Hill, Kalamunda & Lesmurdie are the place to be, although you would struggle to get city views and 4x2 for $430k, but could get 3x2 or 4x1 if prepared to do a bit of refurb & extension. Also there are still a couple of half acre blocks being advertised for about the $320k mark so if you put a small house up initially and then extended as you could afford it, you could end up with something quite amazing and expensive long term (10+ years). There are a number of companies that will put up kit homes/barns or transportables for under $40k and on a half acre you could eventually use this as a guest cottage once the main house is built. That way you could take 5-8 years to build the main house. This option might be a bit "outside the box" for most expats who seem to (generally) want everything "right here right now", but lots of Aussies are doing this and making a killing. I just wish I had thought of it when we first arrived. Now its going to be at least another 3 years while we refurbish our current house before I can do the land/kit/build idea

http://www.hills-homes.com/ is a good website if looking for hills property but it doesnt have photos. Otherwise check www.reiwa.com.au or www.aussiehome.com.au.
FCOL we are having trouble deciding on a coastal suburb, now you bring another variable

We are in Warnbro, right on the beach at the moment.
Have been looking up and down the coast and can't seem to take it all in but we are still jet lagged so not surprising.

How long does it take to get to a decent beach from Kalamunda?

Are the schools and facilities for the kids local?

Thanks

Kevin
Old Jan 17th 2006, 4:15 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevinl
FCOL we are having trouble deciding on a coastal suburb, now you bring another variable

We are in Warnbro, right on the beach at the moment.
Have been looking up and down the coast and can't seem to take it all in but we are still jet lagged so not surprising.

How long does it take to get to a decent beach from Kalamunda?

Are the schools and facilities for the kids local?

Thanks

Kevin
Hi Kevin!

Glad you arrived safely...how is Warnbro on first inspections? We have it on our shortlist!
You're right about veggie kids throwing in a few variables...food for thought indeed! Has certainly got us thinking outside of our 'box' so to speak!
Old Jan 17th 2006, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

kerry&co is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hutchy
Is this a wind up about rockingham.Rockingham may not be the most exciting place in the world, depends what you want and every need is different but
"lots of straight roads",lol what do you want bendy roads," lots of macdonalds in rockingham" we have 1 in rocky city and the rest are dotted in each suburb after that, and "loads and loads of bungalows" welcome to australia, unless you have got the money to build a 2 storey home you should stay put, if this is putting you off moving to rockingham then it may put you off moving to Australia as it is pretty much the same in most states and yes i have visited a few of those.......And yeah you guessed it i live in and love Rockingham,so any other rockie wannabees dont be put off by this post, its a great city with great beaches , great atmosphere, not too busy and not too far away from perth if you want to go there......jan hutchy
I'm glad you love it there, sorry if you thought I was insulting your home, but that was my impression.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.