Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any one used Malaysia Airlines?

Any one used Malaysia Airlines?

Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

GaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really nice
Default Any one used Malaysia Airlines?

We have had our flights booked for us and we get no choice but to fly with Malaysia Airlines. Has anyone any experience with them? We are going business class with our three year old son and NO stopover. I am slightly worried to say the least about not stopping with a young child and because we did not get to choose the airline. Have looked on their sight but obviously it does not answer all my fears.

Thanks
Kat
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:23 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any one used Malaysia Airlines?

Originally Posted by GaryKristensen
We have had our flights booked for us and we get no choice but to fly with Malaysia Airlines. Has anyone any experience with them? We are going business class with our three year old son and NO stopover. I am slightly worried to say the least about not stopping with a young child and because we did not get to choose the airline. Have looked on their sight but obviously it does not answer all my fears.

Thanks
Kat
They are one of the better airlines which fly to Australia.
It was a good choice.

G
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

GaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really nice

Thanks makes me feel a bit better, I just find it hard when we have no control over flights, packers etc especially hearing stories about companies who are in charge of our move and worldly goods!!

Kat
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Kat
We flew with them last year from Perth to KL; then KL onto Manila......... same airline on the return leg. They were just okay, nothing flash.......... no real problems with them but they were nothing to write home about though.

Should imagine Business Class will be a different kettle of fish. It's pretty much commonplace these days that toddlers on flights are well looked after and fussed over by the air-hosties so I should imagine you will have a great flight.

Be prepared to get lost at KL airport......... seemingly everyone else does. It's a proper u-beaut airport, extremely well designed and thought out......... but it's massive. KL used to a backwater town......... but not anymore.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Watty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to all

Hi Gary

We flew with them from Manchester to Perth, had a good flight - staff great and friendly, entertainment great (films start when you want). Food good but one of the meals has a curry theme to it breakfast, lunch and dinner, otherwise nice. We stopped off in KL and had a great time. I slept and OH was given wine on a regular basis.
Would recommend them. Sadly they dont fly from Manchester anymore, only Heathrow.

Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Location: Newcastle upon tyne/Harrogate-- soon to be Townsville in July!
kookaburra_baby is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Any one used Malaysia Airlines?

Thanks
Kat
Hi,
i have flown with MA before, about 10 years ago. Their service then was excellent, the cabin crew couldn't do enough and they're very child friendly. My aunt uses MA quite reqularly and never has a bad word to say about them.
Where are you flying to in Aus?i am going to be using MA this following monday (9th) ;from heathrow- Kuala Lumpur (with a three hour stop) then onto Brisbane. The only qualms i'm having with them is their policy on baggage allowence; i have permanent residence, but each individual passenger can only take 20kg on the flight, whereas other airlines (i.e. singapore, emirates etc) allow up to 40kg if you have permanent residence.
One more thing, the food they serve on the flight is mainly Asian based (obviously but its very nice though). If you have a youngster travelling with you, you may want to bring some other food for them; just from experience my younger brother (who was 4 at the time) was not at all pleased to have Malay food for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Hope this helps!
KB
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:40 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hi, we flew with ma in may and june and they were ok - and seeing as you are going business class you will be fine; nice big spacious seats
meals, as mentioned by watty'n'arls, are curry/spicy ... fish curry at breakfast time is not my idea of nice lol ... but theres plenty to do with tvs, so you will be fine. the cabin crew will talk to the kids and we had no problems with keeping 6 yr old twin boys and a 9 yr old girl occupied.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:49 am
In Aus and loving it!

VikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of light

We are flying with MA on 10th August from London to Brisbane and we too had our flights booked for us so had no choice but they are supposed to be great. Lots of people on here have very positive comments to make about them so you should be fine! We havent got a stopover either, just a 2 and 1/2 hour wait in KL and then down to Sydney only to come back up to Brisbane! I am guessing that we will be sat on the plane in Sydney whilst they refuel and take on other passengers so I think that will be the worst time for us with the kids, just sat on the tarmac for 1 and 1/2 hours.

We have booked a child meal for our 2 youngest children (aged 6 and 2 yrs) just in case the food isnt to their taste.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:52 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Flown with them twice to Oz. Appreciated the leg room - cabin crew fine - planes fine. Don't think anyone's ever been blown away travelling in cattle class, but I have no complaints about them.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 11:01 am
saoirse

Call me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with above, we have flown with them many times and haven't had a problem.As mentioned i would take some food with you,but the cabin crew and service were excellent.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have any concerns about flying business class with Malaysia having flown economy with them. We found Malaysia excellent (for economy) - food slightly above average (for airline food), service excellent, KLIA a super airport, we had a 5 hr wait for a connecting flight and actually enjoyed our time there. So I wouldn't be too apprehensive. Some piccies:

KLIA:

That's the F1 track (Sepang) in view from the terminal. It's called KLIA but it's actually 60 miles or so from KL.

Typical economy grub (usually a 'non-Asian' option on the menu):

OzTennis
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:47 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I just arrived back from the UK last night on Malaysian. BNE to KL then KL to LHR and then the return journey is LHR to KL then KL to BNE but this is via SYD where the plane stops to let out passengers, take on new and to clear immigration.

I flew First since the deal was good and not much more expensive than business and the flight was outstanding with single window lie flat beds. The Business cabin looks nice too when I took a wander with angled lie flat seats. Book the top deck though in advance since its quieter since there are only a few business seats on the main deck and those are near the galley which can make it a bit annoying if your banking on 5 hours sleep.

The video system is on demand and shows heaps of films, tv and games etc. Food is very good and the signature dish of the airline is Satay which I can highly recommend.

At LHR there is a Golden Lounge which is newish and decent with food and drink. The Golden Lounge at KL is outstanding and you can have a nice shower, food and the massage service there is great to kill half an hour.

Remember that as a Business/First passenger you can book a complimentary limo transfer to the airport at London too.

Good airline and I'll be flying with them again.

Oh - here is the picture of the seat is business...http://www.malaysiasite.nl/businessclasseng.htm

Last edited by Centurion; Jul 6th 2007 at 12:51 pm. Reason: added link
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks very much for the replies it has put my mind at rest a little. KB we have had our flight details through and we have got 40kg baggage each that includes the little one. We also explained that we both have pro racing bikes ,two of which will be coming on the plane with us in bike cases, which we have been given an extra 15kg each for. So not sure why they said 20kg to you and 40kg to us.

That is one thing I find confusing why some people get told one thing and others something different,

OzTennis thanks a lot for the pictures, the airport looks impressive, though my son just replied " I hate mushrooms mummy" after looking at the food.

Anyway thanks a lot again, I do read the forum lots just do not reply much.
Kat
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:59 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for the replies it has put my mind at rest a little. KB we have had our flight details through and we have got 40kg baggage each that includes the little one. We also explained that we both have pro racing bikes ,two of which will be coming on the plane with us in bike cases, which we have been given an extra 15kg each for. So not sure why they said 20kg to you and 40kg to us.

That is one thing I find confusing why some people get told one thing and others something different,

OzTennis thanks a lot for the pictures, the airport looks impressive, though my son just replied " I hate mushrooms mummy" after looking at the food.

Anyway thanks a lot again, I do read the forum lots just do not reply much.
Kat
You generally get a much bigger luggage allowance in Business class as opposed to Economy.

G
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Ah thanks for that I really seem to be having lots of blonde moments recently. Must be the fact I have given up work now so have more time to think of silly things and not come up with answers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.