Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any One from Ireland getting ready to migrate

Any One from Ireland getting ready to migrate

Old May 20th 2009, 6:55 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any One from Ireland getting ready to migrate

I didn't know this thread existed, so thought I'd pop on and say hi!
Old May 20th 2009, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I didn't know this thread existed, so thought I'd pop on and say hi!
Now you know Jen

We hope to be out of here around July. Heading to Caloundra and cant wait we have had enough of all the doom and gloom here. Getting my redundo in the next couple of weeks and fingers crossed house sale goes through ok.

So we will be on our merry way and to a new start.

Paddy
Old May 20th 2009, 10:11 pm
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all

Hi Paul,
I think it depends on the sector you are looking at. It's nowhere near as bad as back in Ireland . All the best,
Irish Gal
Old May 20th 2009, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

bagspacked will become famous soon enoughbagspacked will become famous soon enough
Default top tips for irish people migrating to australia

Baggage
make sure to get your double weight on baggage which you're entitled to when migrating. You get an extra 20kg bagagge allowance

Sending money
Currency.ie now do bank accounts in advance for australia and also set up direct debit so if you havent decided when to move your money you can set up with them and book your transfer on their online system at your leisure and at a much better exchange rate any Irish bank, really handy.

Irish Tax Refund
Dont forget that you will probably be due an irish tax refund and prsi refund moving to australia, a handy few hundred euro.

LAFHA
If you have a job to go to before leaving ireland you are enitled to the living away from home allowance which will make a big difference to the income tax you pay as you can factor your flights cost etc in to increase your tax free allowance, maxpay in australia handle that.
Old May 20th 2009, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

paulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nice
Default Re: top tips for irish people migrating to australia

Originally Posted by bagspacked
Baggage
make sure to get your double weight on baggage which you're entitled to when migrating. You get an extra 20kg bagagge allowance
Yea so I believe and whats the story with the consession flights, has anybody ever got this? I was on the website http://www.iom.int/jahia/Jahia/pid/1820 but its pretty vague and I still havent had a reply from them
Old May 21st 2009, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of
Default Re: top tips for irish people migrating to australia

[QUOTE=bagspacked;7590332]Baggage

We didn't get it - it depends totally on the airline - and no, we hadn't validated.

Lynn xx
Old May 22nd 2009, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice

Hi!

We live in Donegal and have just done our medicals / police checks. Now it's more waiting..and waiting..and hoping ! can't wait to leave and begin the adventure, as nerve wrecking as it may be! Especially since we don't know if our two eldest sons ( 18 and 21 ) can be included on the visa. If ot, it would make it a lot harder to settle in being so far away from them until they find a way to join us.
Anyway, suppose we 'll be here for another Irish summer and winter at least, ( whats the difference again ??) and have a house to sell. Have to go and paint the kitchen now to make it appeal to buyers!
Good luck to everyone!

Mrz Ozbaz
Old May 22nd 2009, 11:47 pm
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all

Good luck to you. Such an exciting time - but glad it's over for us! We're here a year next month and it's been the fastest year of our lives. Fingers crossed for your sons! Now, get back to cleaning that kitchen
Irish Gal

PS We got double baggage allowance with Qantas - and boy did we need it
Old May 25th 2009, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

paulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nicepaulg1770 is just really nice

concession flights worked out at 1100 euro so its pointless. I booked my flights from dublin to melbourne via singapour today at trailfinders for 650euro. Leaving on thursday afternoon and will be in st kilda for saturday morning
Old May 25th 2009, 10:00 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulg1770
concession flights worked out at 1100 euro so its pointless. I booked my flights from dublin to melbourne via singapour today at trailfinders for 650euro. Leaving on thursday afternoon and will be in st kilda for saturday morning
One way ?
Old May 25th 2009, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

yea one way, do you think thats expensive? I went with quantas instead of the cheaper eithad and malayaisa. theres good service on quantas
Old May 26th 2009, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

hotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant future

Hi there,

Just found this thread so thought i'd say hey. I'm in Sydney at the mo and have been here two months at this stage. We left Ireland in January and travelled for 3 months on the way here. My husband found work quite easily but I still haven't even gotten as much as an interview and the novelty of unemployment is beginning to wear off very quickly!!

Everything else is great. I'm loving life in Sydney in general, but I'm definitely at the stage where i'd love to be working again as I feel it'd help me settle in a bit easier. Saying that, I'm not feeling any homesickness yet, so that's good!

Good to hear there are still people making the move.. it's not a bad auld spot!
Old May 26th 2009, 11:38 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotfuss
Hi there,

Just found this thread so thought i'd say hey. I'm in Sydney at the mo and have been here two months at this stage. We left Ireland in January and travelled for 3 months on the way here. My husband found work quite easily but I still haven't even gotten as much as an interview and the novelty of unemployment is beginning to wear off very quickly!!

Everything else is great. I'm loving life in Sydney in general, but I'm definitely at the stage where i'd love to be working again as I feel it'd help me settle in a bit easier. Saying that, I'm not feeling any homesickness yet, so that's good!

Good to hear there are still people making the move.. it's not a bad auld spot!
If you don't mind me asking, what's your occupation? Not good that you're having trouble finding work, I'm sure you're about to crack up!
Old May 26th 2009, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

We're here 9 months next week and i still haven't got any work either - and its not for want of trying. There's not much about at the minute but I'm not throwing the towel in yet.

Good luck with your job search.

Lynn xx
Old May 26th 2009, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

hotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant future

9 months - Yikes! What area are you looking for work in Lynne? I'm looking for pr work but not having any local experience or contacts is what's going against me I reckon.. At this stage though, I'd do anything! Can't even get temping admin work..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.