Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any one here in Tasmania.

Any one here in Tasmania.

Old May 23rd 2007, 10:11 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold
Default Any one here in Tasmania.

Any view points on Tasmania and any comparisons to other places in Oz.
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any one here in Tasmania.

Originally Posted by Lenmil
Any view points on Tasmania and any comparisons to other places in Oz.
Not there yet but hoping to relocate there from Perth WA.

House prices by far cheaper compared to Perth.

Weather similar to UK.

Sorry not much help.
Old May 23rd 2007, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

It was -5 there last night so very similar to the UK!
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

We're not in Tas but looking at it as one of our potential areas, we are actually flying out on Friday to suss out various options.
We are drawn to Tas because of the scenery and nature, good food, very good house prices in comparison to the UK and most of the rest of Oz, slower pace of life, nice people (well, everyone we have spoken to the phone has been incredibly friendly and helpful)
But we obviously have not yet visited, so have an open mind, South Australia is our other choice
There are posters on here who live in Tas, so hopefully they can give lots more feedback.
Sammy
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:10 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya we are heading to Tasmania eventually we will be heading there after we have spent a little time catching up with relatives in Perth and Queensland....I am not sure where just yet but probably Hobart, depending on job offers etc.
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:40 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

How do you find the people there compared to the mainland. Are they like the Kiwis or more Aussie or a mix of both. Sorry to ask as i have never been. Looks great though. Are wages less there in a comparision as well. Thanks.
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:57 pm
Debs M

dhw210770 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi As far as the average Ozzie is concerned Tasmania is a bit like Wales. Not really part of the mother land. Ie when you get back. They welcome you back to Australia. Many think of them as inbred and a bit slow. But having lived there as a boy (£10 pom 3 years and gone back to Britain because my mum's mum was dieing. Still alive today much to my dads disgust.)
It is a beaut place. similar climate property prices cheap. But very little work to be had!!! You may wish to retire there with loads of money.
Good luck on your travels
Old May 24th 2007, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

I have been in Tassie a week, and loving it! Wages are quite similar in my line of work (Admin/clerical). seems to be plenty of work around.

People seem the same (not slow or inbred from what I can see) very friendly and polite and mostly white.
Old May 24th 2007, 4:04 pm

Thanks for every ones replies and PM.
Old May 24th 2007, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

nigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud of

Hi

We visited Tas in Feb when we did oz reccie. OH's dad lives there, yes climate is changable like UK but not unpleasant. People were very friendly very community orientated. Work in the required professions is plentiful as in mainland oz. It does have a feel of a retirement place for british expats in places but I think you get that...

I would say it needs a reccie because you either love it or hate it depending on why you are leaving the uk..

sarah
Old May 26th 2007, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

We are heading there soon, we anticipate around August time depends when the sale of our house completes.

We visited for a 3 week stay last year and absolutely loved it! The people are lovely they all have time to speak and are very laid back. They have good old fashioned family values, the way it was back in the 80's before computer and console culture became widely available.

The crime rate is very low and are reputed to have the best schools in Oz. We chose Tas cos we have a 3 year old boy and plan to have more children (hopefully). And feel it is an ideal place to bring up ankle biters. There is loads of out door stuff to do. The fishing is great (if your into that sort of thing). Although I feel there isn't much for older kids around 15 years and onwards, so I'm thinking we would probably move to the mainland once little man reaches this age. But who knows maybe Tas will have changed by then.

The only down side I found is the clothes shopping is dire
But I'm told it is easy to pop over to melbourne to do your clothes shopping and get those essential fashion items!

Hope this has helped

Kerry