Any niggles?

Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:30 am
Just Joined

dj nee is a jewel in the roughdj nee is a jewel in the roughdj nee is a jewel in the roughdj nee is a jewel in the rough
Default Any niggles?

Please look at this post light-heartedly! It's amazing here, so the last thing i want to do is sound like a whinging pommie!! It's just there's a few things that im finding funny / weird / bizarre etc and just wondered if anyone shares these views on certain things
Feel free to add your own!

1. Bank account

Getting to grips with it, but why the Savings or Credit? I just find that weird!

Paying money each month to have an account!

No Visa DEBIT card with Commonwealth bank....u gotta be kidding me.

2. Speed limit

We have bought a great car...but can't really 'drive' it due to the speed limits. I agree that 60 is fair play in built up areas, but a max of 110 on deserted freeways is ridiculous. Does anybody actually have accidents here? If so...HOW??!
It's weird as i actually find it more tiring driving at these low speeds.. has anyone else found that too?

3. Bin night!

We bought new kitchen appliances when we got here....but silly me forgot to get the delivery men to take the packaging. 7 weeks on and i'm still trying to cram bits of polystyrene into that tiny bin! I have tons of cardboard waiting for space in the recycle bin too! I can't wait for the fun that awaits me when our container arrives from the UK in December, as pretty much EVERYTHING is packed in cardboard boxes, which in my estimation i will still be ripping and putting in the recycle bin until late 2014.

Anyone know of a better way of clearing recyclables without paying?

4. Road signs

Anyone else struggling with these? I must admit, the UK deffo got it right with junction numbers on motorways.
The amount of times i've found myself going the wrong way!!
A lot of the time you don't see the signpost until you are right on top of it....so you do a u-turn and go back...only to find that then you can't turn right..aaaargh!! Well....happened to me in Melbourne anyway!

5. Food prices

If we wanted to live on Hungry Jacks we'd be sorted! Im quite suprised how expensive 'proper' food is. Bread / Milk / mushrooms / peppers etc...well pricey. It probably evens out with other stuff here being cheaper than the UK though....i guess time will tell.

As for beer prices....i've had to start the home brew up!

It's someone elses turn now!

Last edited by dj nee; Nov 27th 2007 at 10:40 am.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:44 am
Just Joined

finona is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any niggles?

Driving here is much scarier than home. Get in my car and hope I don't lose my life. The signs are confusing (maybe because I'm fairly new) but everybody seems to weave in and out and tailgate you. Have become fairly aggressive and adept at using hand signals now. Apart from that not much to complain about at this moment in time.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 11:04 am
Just Joined

dj nee is a jewel in the roughdj nee is a jewel in the roughdj nee is a jewel in the roughdj nee is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by finona
Driving here is much scarier than home. Get in my car and hope I don't lose my life. The signs are confusing (maybe because I'm fairly new) but everybody seems to weave in and out and tailgate you. Have become fairly aggressive and adept at using hand signals now.
I had a close call where i didn't check the left hand mirror enough and went from middle lane to left lane and nearly went into someone. Thinking about it though, in the UK i didn't really use the left mirror that much really as you knew nobody was going to undertake you.

Originally Posted by finona
Apart from that not much to complain about at this moment in time.
Just to clarify! None of my above comments were complaints This place rocks and it's just a case of adjustment.

Finding out yesterday that i might be allergic to mozzie bites was a bit of a downer though...lol
I had a few when i got here and they were fine....but lately they've been getting well bad, to the degree where my whole arm / leg swells up. The doc gave me some pills, so we'll have to wait and see i guess!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 11:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I initially read this as any nipples which make me look
Originally Posted by dj nee
Please look at this post light-heartedly! It's amazing here, so the last thing i want to do is sound like a whinging pommie!! It's just there's a few things that im finding funny / weird / bizarre etc and just wondered if anyone shares these views on certain things
Feel free to add your own!

1. Bank account

Getting to grips with it, but why the Savings or Credit? I just find that weird!
Most people I speak to call Savings, Spendings

2. Speed limit

We have bought a great car...but can't really 'drive' it due to the speed limits. I agree that 60 is fair play in built up areas, but a max of 110 on deserted freeways is ridiculous. Does anybody actually have accidents here? If so...HOW??!
It's weird as i actually find it more tiring driving at these low speeds.. has anyone else found that too?
No different from 70 on a deserted motorway in the UK
3. Bin night!

We bought new kitchen appliances when we got here....but silly me forgot to get the delivery men to take the packaging. 7 weeks on and i'm still trying to cram bits of polystyrene into that tiny bin! I have tons of cardboard waiting for space in the recycle bin too! I can't wait for the fun that awaits me when our container arrives from the UK in December, as pretty much EVERYTHING is packed in cardboard boxes, which in my estimation i will still be ripping and putting in the recycle bin until late 2014.

Our bin's not small. Seems to take a fair amount. Mind you we don't drink gallons. Maybe your bin is full of empties
4. Road signs

Anyone else struggling with these? I must admit, the UK deffo got it right with junction numbers on motorways.

I love the junction numbering system here. It makes so much sense (to me anyway)
A lot of the time you don't see the signpost until you are right on top of it....so you do a u-turn and go back...only to find that then you can't turn right..aaaargh!! Well....happened to me in Melbourne anyway!

5. Food prices

If we wanted to live on Hungry Jacks we'd be sorted! Im quite suprised how expensive 'proper' food is. Bread / Milk / mushrooms / peppers etc...well pricey. It probably evens out with other stuff here being cheaper than the UK though....i guess time will tell.
Where are you shopping? All that stuff is quite reasonable at markets etc

There was something that occurred to me when we first got here. I still haven't worked it out. People with babies in buggies - why, even inside shopping malls, are the buggies covered with a blanket/towel/whatever? I can under shelter from sun but complete blocking, even indoors - WTF is that all about
Old Nov 27th 2007, 12:02 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I had a close call where i didn't check the left hand mirror enough and went from middle lane to left lane and nearly went into someone. Thinking about it though, in the UK i didn't really use the left mirror that much really as you knew nobody was going to undertake you.
were you never taught to check over your shoulder before moving into a different lane?
Old Nov 27th 2007, 12:04 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

1. Bank account

what is your point? its not benidorm
2. Speed limit

many ppl get killed on the roads here each yr

3. Bin night!

get a recycle bin, or pop down the tip, and get rid of it ALL in one go

4. Road signs

i think they should reintroduce tests for poms when they get here

5. Food prices

not sure what planet you are on, or indeed what shop you go to, but 30 bucks for a carton of piss, is cheap

Have a nice day
Old Nov 27th 2007, 12:08 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I firmly believe everyone should do the theory test here before switching their licences over. There are just too many rules that are different here from the Uk that expats now have no knowledge of.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

lil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypen20

There was something that occurred to me when we first got here. I still haven't worked it out. People with babies in buggies - why, even inside shopping malls, are the buggies covered with a blanket/towel/whatever? I can under shelter from sun but complete blocking, even indoors - WTF is that all about
That's to stop old ladies sticking their fingers in the pram & touching your baby!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 12:18 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

I firmly believe everyone should do the theory test here before switching their licences over. There are just too many rules that are different here from the Uk that expats now have no knowledge of.
Intersections are the main issue, but i agree.. all poms should take a test, cannot see why they dont, just because brits drive on rhs of the rd, shouldnt be a pre-requisite for not doing at least a theory test
Old Nov 27th 2007, 12:20 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by lil_ol_wine_drinker_me
That's to stop old ladies sticking their fingers in the pram & touching your baby!
No one tried that with my kids in the UK. Are old ladies different here?
Old Nov 27th 2007, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

We have lived in Germany for the last 8 years so let me tell you - you have no idea how SLOW driving anywhere else feels. Bad driving is bad driving wherever it is but when there is a danger that a Merc / BMW / Porsche may come past you at 250 kmh + then believe me its tends to focus the mind (on checking mirrors before moving).

I am hugely against unnecessary speed limits on Motorways as it leads to lack of concentration / dowsiness etc (check the accident statistics in Germany you will see they are no worse than anywhere else).

However, it is impossible to raise speed limits as there are too many poor drivers around (who don't check mirrors / don't indicate / purposely block faster drivers - delete as applicable) and there would be carnage.

I'll get me coat
Old Nov 27th 2007, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Cheers for the replies everyone

To Timber Floor Au, i was used to paying £9.99 - £12.99 for a 24 pack of Carlsberg from my local Asda in the UK. And they were the big cans (550ml??)
At the moment im on the VB which is about $36 for 24 375ml cans.

(actually its not really that bad.... i'd been going on the lazy method of just halving it and saying £ in front....but $36 is about £15...which despite the tiny can - size is ok)

Ignore me...im mostly drunk... lol
Old Nov 27th 2007, 12:55 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

driving in Australia is "different" but the roads in UK make sense and are more organised...BUT you never get over 5 miles an hour anyway as it's traffic jams everywhere.....when i was there last year i was surprised to find just as much bad driving in UK as Aus...it's drugs alcohol and bad tempered impatient people and yes just general all round bad drivers of all ages and sexes
Old Nov 27th 2007, 2:29 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Thats no baby. Thats the latest DVD Recorder they knocked off from K Mart.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 5:52 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=dj nee;5605560]

3. Bin night!

QUOTE]

Check neighbours for extra bin space I mean ask not creep round in dead of night filling them up

Also check on local council website - there maybe clearance days where you can get any old crap taken away for free if you book in.

Also check council area for use of free tip - some only operate on postal codes otherwise they charge, learn postal codes and use once in a while for free dumping!

Organise an advice party with neighbours - invite for free expensive small beers and ask them how they manage - asking advice and listening taught us loads. Mainly how to get pissed over a bbq and forget good advice by next morning!

I still carry post it notes in my bag - when I hear a good tip, I get someone to write it down. Still have no clue in morning why for some of it but usually find a use for some gem advice.

The rest of your niggles - I still have after five years, apart from looking overshoulder when driving ! Just taught son to drive and be sure they do know how to kill themselves on the roads here.

Have fun enjoy even the niggly bits

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.