Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any midwives in Perth ?

Any midwives in Perth ?

Old Apr 26th 2006, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

karenm has a spectacular aura aboutkarenm has a spectacular aura aboutkarenm has a spectacular aura about
Default Any midwives in Perth ?

Hi,
We are planning to emigrate to Perth in August and i am hoping to get a job as a Midwife, hopefully in a birthing centre. We are looking around Quinns Rock area/ Rockingham. Can anyone give me any details of birthing centres or midwife led hospitals in the area? Not having much look surfing !!

Karen
Old Apr 26th 2006, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

jojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Any midwives in Perth ?

Originally Posted by karenm
Hi,
We are planning to emigrate to Perth in August and i am hoping to get a job as a Midwife, hopefully in a birthing centre. We are looking around Quinns Rock area/ Rockingham. Can anyone give me any details of birthing centres or midwife led hospitals in the area? Not having much look surfing !!

Karen
Hi Karen

We are also in the process of emmigrating to Perth. Hope to be there sometime later in the year. The only two websites I've found so far for maternity care are:

www.woodside.health.wa.gov.au
www.wchs.health.wa.gov.au

The woodside is probably more likely to be midwifery led, doubt King Ewards is somehow. Have heard that midwifery is not quite so autonomous as it is here but that could be just a rumour!!!!
I have a friend out there at the moment so will quiz her about it!
Hope this is of some use to you.
Where are you working at the mo?

Jo
Old Apr 26th 2006, 4:14 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Karen
try asking in here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72
Old Apr 26th 2006, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

jojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to beholdjojo90 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by soapy
Tried that already with no luck. Midwives are obviously in short supply on this forum right now
Old Apr 26th 2006, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

karenm has a spectacular aura aboutkarenm has a spectacular aura aboutkarenm has a spectacular aura about

HI Jo,
I am currently working part time on delivery suite at Walsall Manor (W.Mids). How about you ? Where do you plan to go in Perth ? Thanks for info.
Karen X

Originally Posted by jojo90
Hi Karen
We are also in the process of emmigrating to Perth. Hope to be there sometime later in the year. The only two websites I've found so far for maternity care are:

www.woodside.health.wa.gov.au
www.wchs.health.wa.gov.au

The woodside is probably more likely to be midwifery led, doubt King Ewards is somehow. Have heard that midwifery is not quite so autonomous as it is here but that could be just a rumour!!!!
I have a friend out there at the moment so will quiz her about it!
Hope this is of some use to you.
Where are you working at the mo?

Jo
Old Apr 26th 2006, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Karen,

I'm working at the JR in Oxford at the moment. Not sure what I'll do job wise as yet. Will probably do agency first, difficult to say as have two young kids so childcare is always an issue. Also going over on major budget tho so will ned to get work asap!! :scared:
Old Apr 26th 2006, 8:24 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Karen
Mandy Skeggs

Sorry I couldn't resist that!

Here is a link to a list of hospitals throughout Perth. There should be something of use in there:

http://www.doctors-4u.com/perth/hospitals.htm

Also you may be better checking out the nursing section of the forum:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72

Good luck
Old Apr 26th 2006, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

Hi,

Karen
Hi Karen

I am not a midwife or even a nurse, but I had my babies at Joondalup Health Campus (Private Hospital) which is only about a 15min car journey from Quinns Rocks.

The hospital has a great Maternity Ward and the nurses are fantasic. When I had my 2nd baby there one of the Midwifes had only just arrived from England and I think my baby was one of her first to help with here in Oz.

Have you seen this site www.ramsayjobs.com.au ?

I hope this is of some help to you

Kim
Old Apr 27th 2006, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

Hi there

Have just returned from our rekkie to Perth - actually stayed in Port Kennedy. I contacted Rockingham hospital and spoke to the Maternity Manager (who was english). She was very helpful and suggested that I go and have a look around (though unfortunately we were leaving the following day - so hence didn't get there). I to have two small children and will have to work around other half - who is a nurse (he's ICU and although unless working in Perth ICU is non existent). He was told that he would have few worries finding work in HDU and or A & E. As we will have no childcare she suggested that I go on the casual list which I intend to do (think I will do this at a few hospitals in order to maximise potential work). Peel Health Campus in Mandurah also have a maternity unit so thats another possibility. Would like to do approx 2 nights/shifts a week. Have friend (nurse) who works 2 nights and takes home aprox $1000 fortnight.

Another area we are considering is Bunbury (public hospital), I actually went to have a look around the maternity unit there which was lovely (another english manager) - approx 80 deliveries a month. Everyone seemed really friendly. Must admit though which I suppose I knew already that the scope of practice is very different and some of their practices are a little unusual, not complaining though - cant wait infact.

We are sending off visa application next week! Countdown begins.

Lindsey