Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any BE members in Darwin??

Any BE members in Darwin??

Old Sep 13th 2006, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Nico has a spectacular aura aboutNico has a spectacular aura aboutNico has a spectacular aura about
Default Any BE members in Darwin??

Just wondering if anyone can give a bit of advice on Darwin. My daughter at Sydney Uni is just finishing training as a dietitian, and a job has come up at a hospital in Darwin, which she says has a fantastic reputation. She is going to apply, very excited at the idea. I've been in Darwin for a few days on holiday but she's never been. Are there expats there? Does anyone know the main hospital and anything about it? What sort of place is it to live in? Would be really grateful for any feedback. This forum is amazing for making contact, and if anyone can answer this it'll be a BE member!

Thanks all.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 6:35 am
Just Joined

muzzcat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any BE members in Darwin??

Originally Posted by Nico
Just wondering if anyone can give a bit of advice on Darwin. My daughter at Sydney Uni is just finishing training as a dietitian, and a job has come up at a hospital in Darwin, which she says has a fantastic reputation. She is going to apply, very excited at the idea. I've been in Darwin for a few days on holiday but she's never been. Are there expats there? Does anyone know the main hospital and anything about it? What sort of place is it to live in? Would be really grateful for any feedback. This forum is amazing for making contact, and if anyone can answer this it'll be a BE member!

Thanks all.

Hi, I've been here 6 months now (we're here for 2 yrs due to work then moving Melbourne way). I think your daughter will enjoy it here, very relaxed and full of young back packers working their way through for 6-12 months and a big military contigent . Dont know much about the hospital but it has a good reputation locally. Living here is easy and friendly, like everywhere afew dodgy places but plenty of rentals and new places being built especially in Darwin itself. We came here wondering what the hell we were coming to but its lovely. Very easy and simplistic living, I'd have no trouble leaving our 19 yr old son here when we move down south. By the way, your daughter will have no trouble finding patients up here being a dietitian...but dont let on I said that?!?
Good luck
Old Sep 14th 2006, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Nico has a spectacular aura aboutNico has a spectacular aura aboutNico has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Any BE members in Darwin??

Originally Posted by muzzcat
Hi, I've been here 6 months now (we're here for 2 yrs due to work then moving Melbourne way). I think your daughter will enjoy it here, very relaxed and full of young back packers working their way through for 6-12 months and a big military contigent . Dont know much about the hospital but it has a good reputation locally. Living here is easy and friendly, like everywhere afew dodgy places but plenty of rentals and new places being built especially in Darwin itself. We came here wondering what the hell we were coming to but its lovely. Very easy and simplistic living, I'd have no trouble leaving our 19 yr old son here when we move down south. By the way, your daughter will have no trouble finding patients up here being a dietitian...but dont let on I said that?!?
Good luck
Thanks Muzzcat, very encouraging. I think she'd love it there. Now all she has to do is get the job....I'm waiting for my contributory parent visa, and will then be off to Melbourne where my son and his girlfriend live. There's loads of us Brits heading for Melbourne, which is also a great place to live (somewhat cooler than Darwin though!)

Best of luck yourselves