Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any meet ups in Cairns City area?

Any meet ups in Cairns City area?

Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any meet ups in Cairns City area?

Originally Posted by Shaun&Dee
Try posting in the meets ups section also. Do a search for Cairns and you will see other meet ups and send a link on that thread. We meet up quite often here. I'm in the city also , Royal Harbur and don't have a car, I find I don't really need one.
Shaun
Any thoughts about the areas near Cairns Base Hospital for living?
I would love to be able to walk/cycle to work (rainy season excepted)
Particularly interested in catchment area for Cairns State High!
Old Sep 11th 2008, 11:59 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
My view is that you will probably need to get a holiday type unit with 2 or so bedrooms, plenty along Sheridan Street for a short term measure, although not sure what min stay is but likely 3 months.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:12 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

The catchment area for CSH is an odd one consisting of the city center, the airport, machans and holloways beach and the cairns north and aeroglen areas. Around the school and hospital within a few blocks there are a lot of residential units and apartments and the other housing in the area is the old traditional queenslanders.
Have you seen the new google earth street view...most of cairns is on there and you can see for yourself.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
The catchment area for CSH is an odd one consisting of the city center, the airport, machans and holloways beach and the cairns north and aeroglen areas. Around the school and hospital within a few blocks there are a lot of residential units and apartments and the other housing in the area is the old traditional queenslanders.
Have you seen the new google earth street view...most of cairns is on there and you can see for yourself.
Thanks! I have looked at the catchment area & been looking at properties but not sure how good the areas are. Redlynch is the other favourite for me but OH dreaming of beaches although I don't think anywhere is that far from the beach really.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:37 am

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Thanks! I have looked at the catchment area & been looking at properties but not sure how good the areas are. Redlynch is the other favourite for me but OH dreaming of beaches although I don't think anywhere is that far from the beach really.
It's only 15 mins to the beaches from Redlynch. Holloways and Machans are not the nicest of beaches so I don't think I would choose to live there FWIW, but Trinity, Clifton, Palm Cove and Kewarra are all nice places to live.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Edge Hill/Whitfield for an easyish walk/ easy cycle but they are not in CSH catchment area.

Not the cheapest suburbs, but that's what you get for locality.

WW
Old Sep 12th 2008, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's only 15 mins to the beaches from Redlynch. Holloways and Machans are not the nicest of beaches so I don't think I would choose to live there FWIW, but Trinity, Clifton, Palm Cove and Kewarra are all nice places to live.
Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Edge Hill/Whitfield for an easyish walk/ easy cycle but they are not in CSH catchment area.

Not the cheapest suburbs, but that's what you get for locality.

WW
Personally, I am favouring Redlynch because I like the idea of having the mountains in the background. 15 minutes to the beach is nothing is it! Also, both boys would be at same school which I like the idea of too although not sure how they will feel about that
I think that the next 2 months is going to feel like the longest & shortest of times!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:03 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I am favouring Redlynch because I like the idea of having the mountains in the background. 15 minutes to the beach is nothing is it! Also, both boys would be at same school which I like the idea of too although not sure how they will feel about that
I think that the next 2 months is going to feel like the longest & shortest of times!
no matter where you live in cairns the mountains are in the background.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:52 am

This is why we chose the school at Redlynch to keep them both in the same place, the primary school up to year 6 is on one side of the road and the older kids are on the other side of the road, they have different uniforms too.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is why we chose the school at Redlynch to keep them both in the same place, the primary school up to year 6 is on one side of the road and the older kids are on the other side of the road, they have different uniforms too.
OK, that's cool, far enough apart but still together!

Are your girls enjoying school there?
Old Sep 13th 2008, 12:46 am

OK, that's cool, far enough apart but still together!

Are your girls enjoying school there?
Yes they like it, there is lots of new buildings going up at the moment so getting better all the time.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Slime Bomb
Hi all, we just arrived in Cairns last Thursday on a 457 visa and wondered if there were any meet ups locally near the city cente as we don't have transport yet. We are currently stopping at the Best Western Central Plaza on Lake St, and looking for rental property in this area. Simon & Julie.
Just started a thread on 4 months in Cairns in the Update part of the forum..thought you might be ineterested as you have just moved here..putting lots of piccies on etc.

We have quite a few meet ups near the centre so keep an eye on the meet ups forum too.
Liz
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Slime Bomb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tripawaymars
Just started a thread on 4 months in Cairns in the Update part of the forum..thought you might be ineterested as you have just moved here..putting lots of piccies on etc.

We have quite a few meet ups near the centre so keep an eye on the meet ups forum too.
Liz
Thanx for that Liz, will keep an eye out.