Any Karters Out There?

Wikiposts

Any Karters Out There?

Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:05 am
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Karters Out There?

Hi all,

I'm wondering how popular karting is in Australia. Does anyone out there race karts as a hobby?

I'm talking about outdoor tracks, not the more corporate orientated indoor events.

Currently in the UK I race TKM class. Anyone know what classes are popular in Oz?
We're looking at moving to Melbourne so I'm particularly keen for information on circuits within a couple of hours of the city.

Cheers guys

Marko
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future
Default Re: Any Karters Out There?

Originally posted by phyonics
Hi all,

I'm wondering how popular karting is in Australia. Does anyone out there race karts as a hobby?

I'm talking about outdoor tracks, not the more corporate orientated indoor events.

Currently in the UK I race TKM class. Anyone know what classes are popular in Oz?
We're looking at moving to Melbourne so I'm particularly keen for information on circuits within a couple of hours of the city.

Cheers guys

Marko
bump.

done that a few times it's wicked.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 10:35 am
AJR
Forum Regular

AJR is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Cheers guys

Marko

Hi Marko
my son is a mad Karter wherever we go in the world he wants to check out the local track, when we were in brisbane last year there was a track in coloundra that said it was the biggest in oz.
I did a couple of laps with my boy and it put the fear of god up me
hope you find what you want.
Alan
Old Jun 15th 2004, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

My wifes nephew owns/runs a track on the Gold Coast , and he races all over the place in Australia
Old Jun 15th 2004, 2:16 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Hi all,

Cheers guys

Marko
Each country have different rules ( I and my "hubby used to race International class, and restricted in Asia, which was unrestricted.. not what the name means)( Singapore), where members of the karting club there, and used to travel with the club to places like Lankawi, malaysia etc.( sing kart club is no more I believe.. when I was there they were always battling with the sing motor sport to keep it open... We had a few accidents etc.. including one guy who put another in hospital for bashing him over the head with his helmet., got out of control. wasn't funny by the way, plus the usual injuries. ie people in hospital getting wrapped around a tree....our track at the time was a car park by the stadium which the club had use of on most sundays.. we didn't have a purposely built track... just had to set it up every weekend)

we once did a road race through the streets of Langkawi... now that is another a story.. oh what a mess.. ambulances on the track... while the race was still running..lol. Oh and I broke my leg.. not from racing , but falling down a drain. in the night ( half p*ssed, as you do in the evenings on these trips) . you wouldn't believe it!!!

My hubby came 2nd in the over all championships of Sing . I came third in my class overall.

I have heaps of pics ( back in the house) where I've won races, and also us travelling around Asia to the international races ( I used to race for the Kart club of Singapore) My Go-kart is still packed up in the crate, never got around to doing it here. I looked into the rules when I first arrived down in NSW, they have different classes to Asia where I raced, and different rules... ie even little things such as if you come off, you can't push/re-start your own Kart ( which I find odd.. if I can re start myself with a ton of lead weights on it.. most people could restart their karts with no weights on it if they learnt how to do it .. I have to carry a load of weights as I'm light in weight ulike most competers which tend to be nearly all men, it was just myself and two other females who raced competitively in the races . I and another female were the only women in our class.. the rest were men, and there was another female who was in my hubby's class at the time).

The engines I have mean I could only race in the unrestricted class here (in Aus), because a lot of these classes here engines are restricted, trying to make it "safe" I suppose.rolleyes: (someone should tell them it's motor racing) , as a lot of these classes here are things like the little slower Yamahas etc ( I have a couple of Rotax engines) . .. you'll have to look into the rules, I read up on them a few years ago now.. so I'm going by memory. But a lot of the rules looked odd, and different classes to Asia... quite a lot of classes seem to have the "slow" engines. I do know when I looked there was only one class I could join with my engines.. and that was basically "the nutter class/unrestricted type class" .

I have a book somewhere back in the house with all the rules. It's out of date mind you. It was given to me by an owner of a kart shop in Newcastle.. wish I had it on me now, I could tell you the exact classes and rules then

I've been meaning to sell the things, just haven't got the inclination and time these days to race, as you know it takes a lot of your time. .. But I still miss it. Too much to do here what with work, and then we were concentrating on getting our house built until recently - just haven't got around to putting them together again

I think there there is a race track/club near the Ipswich area

anyway here's a link for the karting association
accociationarea.http://www.isport.com.au/karting/aka/htstart.cl?&PT=ae

( Yikes I'm getting the bug again.. I really do miss it, I miss the adrenaline, I also miss the "meets" and races where like meet like, no matter if your black, white female or male ...mind you you always used to get a few sexist g*ts (not many though believe it or not).. but they were easily sorted )

Pic's below of our karts:
Attached Thumbnails Any Karters Out There?-kar2.jpg  

Last edited by Ceri; Jun 15th 2004 at 5:56 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 2:19 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

another one ( this is me )... this is in Singapore.. I haven't got a lot of photo's on this computer. Just these couple
Attached Thumbnails Any Karters Out There?-kart1.jpg  
Old Jun 15th 2004, 2:24 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

This one is hubby's kart, my one is the red one ... hand me down as always. They are both swiss hutless's. I think I was borrowing hubby's kart in the above picture ( gawd knows why.. I think my engine had blown and didn't have a spare... ah no .. I just noticed it does not have a race number on it ( I wondered why that pic was taken.. and the track is empty).. this is when hubby first had his new kart shipped over... I was just having a little play on it to test it out , it was taken at a practice meet )

The black one we bought from Dragon karting near Ammanford. We actually shipped it into Sing, as it was cheaper buying it from the UK than buying one in Sing . The red one I bought in Sing.

I will be selling these karts when I get around to it. engines - just the engines (alone) cost me about 2 to 5 grand sing dollars each ( depending) , plus heaps and heaps of stuff. I will be selling at at quite a loss.. it's funny really I've been hanging on to them... oh my gawd I don't want to sell them ( I've literally had them for 7 years packed up (since I've been in Aus) .. I packed them up in Sing and never opened them again... really I meant to race here , but one thing on top another. when we came to Aus . I have never started it up again)
Attached Thumbnails Any Karters Out There?-kart3.jpg  

Last edited by Ceri; Jun 15th 2004 at 6:06 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2004, 12:30 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Some websites that might help you:

www.cams.com.au

www.vka.asn.au

www.austkarting.com.au

Hope these help