Reload this Page >

Moisture in packing

Moisture in packing

Old Jun 16th 2004, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

swiss tony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moisture in packing

Hi all,

am currently (self) packing some boxes of clothes to ship off to Oz. Am worried about damp and moisture so bought some of those vacuum bags - what a waste of money! So far have tried 3 different types, one type seems to vaugely work and the other 2 didn't.

I am resorting to packing clothes into boxes using plastic bags. Has anybody got any good ideas about how to keep damp and moisture away? Presumably I wil need to do something? Has anybody had experience of shipping clothes that have not been vacuum packed?

Thanks!

ST
Old Jun 16th 2004, 7:54 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moisture in packing

Originally posted by swiss tony
Hi all,

am currently (self) packing some boxes of clothes to ship off to Oz. Am worried about damp and moisture so bought some of those vacuum bags - what a waste of money! So far have tried 3 different types, one type seems to vaugely work and the other 2 didn't.

I am resorting to packing clothes into boxes using plastic bags. Has anybody got any good ideas about how to keep damp and moisture away? Presumably I wil need to do something? Has anybody had experience of shipping clothes that have not been vacuum packed?

Thanks!

ST

Larissa (I think) posted recently about getting hold of hundreds of those silica sachets you get in things nowadays - they suck up moisture
Old Jun 16th 2004, 7:57 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...a&pagenumber=2
Old Jun 16th 2004, 8:08 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Thanks!

ST
Hi ST

What is it thats wrong with the vac bags, I put all my clothes and bedding into them they were superb, and cut the space require by 2/3rds
Old Jun 16th 2004, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

swiss tony is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by biggy
Hi ST

What is it thats wrong with the vac bags, I put all my clothes and bedding into them they were superb, and cut the space require by 2/3rds
Vacuum bags..... well I have experimented with various ones and the only really good ones seem to be the ones that have the one way seal and you roll the air out. The ones with the 'sealing rods' have been a total disaster - maybe it is just me?! The ones I have got working are great I must say!
Old Jun 16th 2004, 8:36 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Vacuum bags..... well I have experimented with various ones and the only really good ones seem to be the ones that have the one way seal and you roll the air out. The ones with the 'sealing rods' have been a total disaster - maybe it is just me?! The ones I have got working are great I must say!
The key is to try and not over fill them, then they usually seal ok

Good Luck with the bags lol
Old Jun 16th 2004, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

The zippy ones are good (Argos), but you have to be quite gentle with them, plus don't overfill (as Biggy says )
Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

silica gel sachets got from company found on e bay, called cotswold packaging, ordered over phone 01793 610880 (250 for £14.69), came next day.

(posted this on the above mentioned thread, have shoved them in with everything to stop moisture!)

Good luck with your packing
Old Jun 16th 2004, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Larissa
.... but you have to be quite gentle with them.....
I'd agree with that.

When deciding to whether to ship a piece of furniture or not, the fella from the shipping company said we might as well take it. The reasoning being you can fill it with stuff and so it costs little more to take.

Brilliant we thought. We'll get some of those vacuum bag things and put the duvets in.

Once vacuumed the size reduced dramatically. We put the bag (containing vacuumed duvet) into the furniture. The bag caught on a nail, popped it and the duvets expanded inside the furniture like those lifeboats do automatically. Was a real b****d to get them out again.

Worked a treat second time round though.
Old Jun 16th 2004, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting carried away

I think you can get too worried about some things in life and this seems one of them.
Just pack your valuables in plastic bags . . . any plastic bag that is strong and will fit . . . and tape it shut.
It'll all be loaded in a shipping container which has a seal around the door against the weather and sea.
The shipping company will put the container on the deck of the ship . . . not tow it behind in the ocean!
Trust me on this one and save your money for all the things you'll need to get when you arrive in Australia, rather than spend $$$$$$$$ on vacuum bags, etc.
Bob and Ginnie