Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Irish ex Pats/soon to be ex pats?

View Poll Results: Where about's in Oz have you moved/moving to?
Melbourne
21.11%
Perth
20.00%
Sydney
12.22%
Brisbane
21.11%
Cairns
1.11%
Adelaide
6.67%
Canberra
0%
Gold Coast
12.22%
Sunshine Coast
5.56%
Hobart
0%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Any Irish ex Pats/soon to be ex pats?

Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

jdjnr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi all

Originally Posted by T.E.C.H
Hi all,

Just to catch up, How are all those who are heading soon. Are there many heading to W.A or is it spread about a bit.

On the subject of PCC's & medicals, all who have been granted visa's,

1.Did you submit your checks when asked.
2.Did you complete these checks before being asked or waited untill Dimia got intouch...

Any response would be great. Reply in private if it's better to do so.

Catch ya.......

Hiya,

Well i'm off to Brisbane on the 10th September to give it a go - although i may move depending on work situation - i'm a manufacturing engineer so might have to go to melbourne or adelaide if theres not too many production jobs in QLD....

Can't tell ya too much on WA as was there there a couple of times for a few days at a go...

Just on PCCs and meds - i waited until i was asked as it only takes 2 weeks for the police checks (normally) and few days for the meds by the time you get blood results back - i know a lot of people send them unrequested with the intention of speeding up the process....just be aware that you have to validate your visa within a year of getting your pccs or meds - so if you do your meds tomorrow and don't get granted your visa till next january then you still have to validate your visa by 17th august next year - i'm sure ya know this already and if you've applied for your visa a while ago and are headed to oz pretty quickly then i'd send them unrequested - worst case scenario will be you have to resublit pccs and meds if you don't get visa granted /validated within the year...

Have any questions give us a shout - oh if your in Dublin the panel doctor on the morehampton road is brilliant - was in and out in less than 10 mins then straight down to blackrock clinic (which is just around the corner) to get the x-rays - everything done in less than an hour and he gives you a ring and sends you out recorded post receipt when the meds are sent...he really made life very easy!!

Good luck!

Jon
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Paul Fitz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any Irish ex Pats/soon to be ex pats?

Originally Posted by macker
Hi Mk,

I'm laughing about cleaning all the shoes - are you making the lads wear the same pair of runners the whole time now?

Hi Tech,

I can't answer that question yet but I know a couple of people on this thread who sent off the pcc's and meds unrequested and I will be doing it in about 3 months time or so. Anything to speed things up a bit seeing as applications are so backlogged right now. You are in that timeframe now, are you thinking of sending them off or are you going to wait for them to be requested?
Hi Macker

Washed the runners their currently wearing last week. These will be worn until departure. Then will be binned and new ones put on. I think I've washed about 20 pairs between shoes, runners and football boots. Packing is beginning to take shape, at least I now can see the floors in some of the bedrooms ! Roll on next Friday for the shippers. Will be glad to have all the stuff cleared.

Any word from Yafoley.

Jon. best of luck on the trip. We won't be far behind you. We are heading for North Brisbane.

Talk soon

MK
Old Aug 16th 2006, 11:39 am
Just Joined

IrishInOz is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Any Irish ex Pats/soon to be ex pats?

G'day Irish Members,

I've just spent some time reading through the messages and I can understand your exitement at coming to Australia.

I have been in Australia for over 40 years and whilst I am proud of my Irish heritage, Australia is my home, the home of my children and their children.

My loyality to Australia is without reservation.

I came to Australia when they were bringing them out by the boat loads and under the Immigration Assistance Program it cost me the grand sum of 10 Pounds $terling to get here.

My wife and I returned to Ireland in 1999 for a holiday and we visited relations in Lisburn and then toured up to Donegal and down the west coast. It was a wonderful experience because we had not really seen much of Ireland when we lived there.

We have lived in various parts of Australia and served overseas with the Australian Military. We have lived in Victoria for most of the time. Victoria is known as The Garden State and I prefer the milder climate than the hot humid tropics of the northern part of Australia.

Tasmania is another beautiful part of Australia and is well worth a visit, especially the wilderness areas which are World Heritage Listed.

We have just completed a trip on the legendary train called The Ghan, which took us on a trip from Adelaide to Darwin which was around 2800 kilometres and took 3 days.

Anyhow, enough of me, I shall keep an eye of this Irish Section and if I can be of any assistance then I shall be happy to do so.

Cheers.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Paul Fitz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by IrishPost
G'day Irish Members,

I've just spent some time reading through the messages and I can understand your exitement at coming to Australia.

I have been in Australia for over 40 years and whilst I am proud of my Irish heritage, Australia is my home, the home of my children and their children.

My loyality to Australia is without reservation.

I came to Australia when they were bringing them out by the boat loads and under the Immigration Assistance Program it cost me the grand sum of 10 Pounds $terling to get here.

My wife and I returned to Ireland in 1999 for a holiday and we visited relations in Lisburn and then toured up to Donegal and down the west coast. It was a wonderful experience because we had not really seen much of Ireland when we lived there.

We have lived in various parts of Australia and served overseas with the Australian Military. We have lived in Victoria for most of the time. Victoria is known as The Garden State and I prefer the milder climate than the hot humid tropics of the northern part of Australia.

Tasmania is another beautiful part of Australia and is well worth a visit, especially the wilderness areas which are World Heritage Listed.

We have just completed a trip on the legendary train called The Ghan, which took us on a trip from Adelaide to Darwin which was around 2800 kilometres and took 3 days.

Anyhow, enough of me, I shall keep an eye of this Irish Section and if I can be of any assistance then I shall be happy to do so.

Cheers.
Hi IrishPost

Thank you for your post to this thread. I for one hope I will be able to call Australia Home. At this moment it seems a bit of a blur. Emotions are mixed with excitement of this new life ahead of us, added to the great worry about our we doing the right thing. I suppose this is to be expected with only a few weeks left before departure. Have to say we are all looking forward to the adventure. We are heading to Brisbane. Looking forward to a change of lifestyle with more outdoor activities.

Best wishes

MK
Old Aug 16th 2006, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

rcladin will become famous soon enough

Victoria is now 'the place to be' apparently so it says on the car plates.

hi again, we have been through the whole moving process and so far is going okay, miss the family and starting to get used to it.

We are in Melbourne and moved from Ashbourne co. meath about 8 weeks ago now.

have organised most things and its all been relatively easy and straight forward, but if you are about to upstumps and have kids it takes a very heavy toll on the auld system. The stress levels will be on critical for a good few weeks.

i like the weather - its winter here at the moment and we get some very nice days, yesterday hardly any cloud and got up to 19degC - this doesn't happen in ireland in winter i can tell you that.

Houses are very big here compared to irish houses, i dont think the construction is great but its improving and the current 5star rated homes are a good way forward, the 10/20/30 year old houses here are not very energy efficient. single glazing and little or no insulation.

In melbourne you can buy a house and land package (typically 600m2 block so you are detached - but most houses are like this in the suburbs thats the way they build em) where we are in the west (15km from CBD - 5 mins drive to some lovely beaches) for about 300-350k dollars, decent house, single storey around 360m2 (this is about 3 times the area of our old house in Ireland - you wouldn't know yourself), this is about 195,000 euros, 4 bed, solar panel hot water, ensuites, large family room, this is absolutely tremendous value for money when you consider what 195K would get you in dublin, we would probably be out as far as lucan say, you would be lucky to get a dog box for that money in ireland, but here its a massive house with alfresco this and en-suite that.

I would also like to point out that the cars are massive here, i mean massive engine, like a 3.9l ford falcon that we hired when we got here, like driving a train. we bought a new car after putting down a large deposit from the sale of our irish car, its a 2.4 litre, automatic, 4 door sedan, a toyota camry, and its a grand motor, to put it into perspective, it cost about 28K DOLLARS BRAND NEW , which is about 16 or 17 k euro, that would get you a nice new 1.2l yaris or something similar in ireland. The tax on cars varies but for our car its about 2.5 or 3% of something not the 25% VRT like back home. GST is also lower than 21% VAT back home

Be aware if coming to melbourne it gets bloody cold overnight in winter, down to 3 or 4 degrees and while it might not seem too bad, it seems colder than 3 or 4 degC in ireland if you know what i mean.

Food is about the same overall, maybe slightly cheaper than ireland, i miss the brennans pan, people here don't know what a pan is, its loaf, actually bread here costs a bit more, i could get a brennans pan in tesco for 1.25 euro, but here a decent loaf can cost anywhere from 2.50 - 3.50 dollars, so some staples are bit more. I would have to say the childcare is not nearly as good as back home - but this is just on my own personal opinion and costs about the same. Also watch out we get alot of car hoons driving about the place with the duff duff sound systems, its madness :scared:

nappies are not great, took us ages to find decent ones for our 16month old son, huggies, they don't have pampers here, booo....

the transport system here is much better than back home, thats a definate plus.

on the whole i would say we have made a slightly better life for ourselves here and son, and if you are expecting it to be a dream life, you may be kidding yourselves, you need to actively make a new life in this country it doesn't come knocking on the door.

The better weather does improve access to the outdoors, plenty to do and see.

good luck to all the irish coming

take it easy
Old Aug 16th 2006, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Keep reading this thread with interest. We moved from Galway to the Gold Coast in March this year(me, English hubbie, two kids 13 and 9) Have made loads of great English and Scottish friends here (and some Aussies of course ) but can't seem to find any Irish. Really happy here and have settled well, but would love to meet some local Irish expats as well. Good luck to everyone. Michelle xx
Old Aug 16th 2006, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rcladin
Victoria is now 'the place to be' apparently so it says on the car plates.

hi again, we have been through the whole moving process and so far is going okay, miss the family and starting to get used to it.

We are in Melbourne and moved from Ashbourne co. meath about 8 weeks ago now.

have organised most things and its all been relatively easy and straight forward, but if you are about to upstumps and have kids it takes a very heavy toll on the auld system. The stress levels will be on critical for a good few weeks.

i like the weather - its winter here at the moment and we get some very nice days, yesterday hardly any cloud and got up to 19degC - this doesn't happen in ireland in winter i can tell you that.

Houses are very big here compared to irish houses, i dont think the construction is great but its improving and the current 5star rated homes are a good way forward, the 10/20/30 year old houses here are not very energy efficient. single glazing and little or no insulation.

In melbourne you can buy a house and land package (typically 600m2 block so you are detached - but most houses are like this in the suburbs thats the way they build em) where we are in the west (15km from CBD - 5 mins drive to some lovely beaches) for about 300-350k dollars, decent house, single storey around 360m2 (this is about 3 times the area of our old house in Ireland - you wouldn't know yourself), this is about 195,000 euros, 4 bed, solar panel hot water, ensuites, large family room, this is absolutely tremendous value for money when you consider what 195K would get you in dublin, we would probably be out as far as lucan say, you would be lucky to get a dog box for that money in ireland, but here its a massive house with alfresco this and en-suite that.

I would also like to point out that the cars are massive here, i mean massive engine, like a 3.9l ford falcon that we hired when we got here, like driving a train. we bought a new car after putting down a large deposit from the sale of our irish car, its a 2.4 litre, automatic, 4 door sedan, a toyota camry, and its a grand motor, to put it into perspective, it cost about 28K DOLLARS BRAND NEW , which is about 16 or 17 k euro, that would get you a nice new 1.2l yaris or something similar in ireland. The tax on cars varies but for our car its about 2.5 or 3% of something not the 25% VRT like back home. GST is also lower than 21% VAT back home

Be aware if coming to melbourne it gets bloody cold overnight in winter, down to 3 or 4 degrees and while it might not seem too bad, it seems colder than 3 or 4 degC in ireland if you know what i mean.

Food is about the same overall, maybe slightly cheaper than ireland, i miss the brennans pan, people here don't know what a pan is, its loaf, actually bread here costs a bit more, i could get a brennans pan in tesco for 1.25 euro, but here a decent loaf can cost anywhere from 2.50 - 3.50 dollars, so some staples are bit more. I would have to say the childcare is not nearly as good as back home - but this is just on my own personal opinion and costs about the same. Also watch out we get alot of car hoons driving about the place with the duff duff sound systems, its madness :scared:

nappies are not great, took us ages to find decent ones for our 16month old son, huggies, they don't have pampers here, booo....

the transport system here is much better than back home, thats a definate plus.

on the whole i would say we have made a slightly better life for ourselves here and son, and if you are expecting it to be a dream life, you may be kidding yourselves, you need to actively make a new life in this country it doesn't come knocking on the door.

The better weather does improve access to the outdoors, plenty to do and see.

good luck to all the irish coming

take it easy
This is one of the best posts I have read on the British Expats forum. Thank you very much for your info rcladin. It's great to hear what the nitty gritty stuff is like. If you could post anymore info about items along the same lines it would be much appreciated (cost of other day to day items, how have you found work, cost of tax/insurance/running the car etc).

We are hoping to move to Melbourne after Christmas next year. Current waiting for our skills assessment to come back before applying for the visa.

What is it about the childcare that you dislike? My wife tells me, she has read, the after school care is very good (we have a 7 year old boy), however I'm interested in hearing about care for younger ones as we are thinking of trying for another once we get to Oz. Don't think we could cope with a new arrival and a move to Oz at the same time.

Last edited by gidxg03; Aug 16th 2006 at 6:45 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
Keep reading this thread with interest. We moved from Galway to the Gold Coast in March this year(me, English hubbie, two kids 13 and 9) Have made loads of great English and Scottish friends here (and some Aussies of course ) but can't seem to find any Irish. Really happy here and have settled well, but would love to meet some local Irish expats as well. Good luck to everyone. Michelle xx
A big hello from a cold & wet Galway
Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gidxg03
A big hello from a cold & wet Galway
Don't suppose you're moving to the GC by any chance Love my new English and Scottish friends to bits, but would love to meet some Irish - Galway would just be the icing on the cake
Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

priscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to all

Don't suppose you're moving to the GC by any chance Love my new English and Scottish friends to bits, but would love to meet some Irish - Galway would just be the icing on the cake
We're moving to the Gold coast, Benowa or somewhere close by as we want the kids to be able to continue with their french, I'm french but Ian is from Cork. Would love to meet up when we get there, shouldn't be too long actually as we just found a buyer for our house, don't have the visa yet though!!
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

macker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of lightmacker is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all,

Lovely reading through some posts from people already there. Love the input guys, keep it coming!! I wonder is there any way to do a poll, on where we are all going, on this thread or would we have to do it separately?

JohnandMichelle - I'm a dub but my mothers from Galway- does that make me an honorary Galway woman????????
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Michelle. were (hopefully) heading for Melbourne.
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi all,

Lovely reading through some posts from people already there. Love the input guys, keep it coming!! I wonder is there any way to do a poll, on where we are all going, on this thread or would we have to do it separately?

JohnandMichelle - I'm a dub but my mothers from Galway- does that make me an honorary Galway woman????????
A poll would be a great idea, so we'd know who's going where - except I don't know how to do it Absolutely an Honorary Galway woman - but are you coming to the Gold Coast..?
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Irish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

You probably could make it a poll if the original poster goes edit post and then you should be able to do a poll
Old Aug 16th 2006, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

ammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to allammer is a name known to all

hi,
we moved from ratoath to melbourne 5 weeks ago.we are adjusting well.we still have that holiday feel.oh hasnt started work yet so we have done all the tourist things.at this stage i am sick of looking at him so i have ordered him out to work next week!

Last edited by ammer; Aug 16th 2006 at 10:54 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.