Reload this Page >

any info on bunbury

Wikiposts

any info on bunbury

Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyonthemove is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: any info on bunbury

I manage a backpacking hostel in Bunbury (Wander Inn - bunburybackpackers.com.au). I came here for about an hour 3 years ago and thought, like a lot of people, what a crap hole - well, it was raining..

When I emigrated over here last year and the job opportunity came up my wife and I were a bit dubious about coming down to live here. Caroline is from Perth and she had the typical Perth attitude that Bunbury is only somewhere to stop to fill up your fuel tank on the way down to Margaret River.

Thankfully we were both surprised at how much the place had changed and were impressed at how much Bunbury has to offer compared with other more "desirable" areas in the southwest. A lot of places down here (Busselton, Dunsborough, Margaret River) are nice to visit, but there's just not enough there if you're going to stay for a while. Likewise, further north, Mandurah, although closer to Perth, is just a sprawling mass of houses and holiday homes with no real centre to it.

The good thing about Bunbury is that it has plenty to offer without losing the relaxed feel of a town. There is an excellent beach (Back Beach), a tuart forrest (tuart trees are only found in this part of the world), an estuary with mangroves (10-20,000 years old) and some other nice nature stuff.

There's the Dolphin Discovery Centre (Koombana Bay has between 150-200 dolphins), Big Swamp Wildlife park (has the biggest free flight avairy in WA and you can hand feed kangaroos) and the fishing is pretty good. There are plenty of water sports - kayaking, bodyboarding, sailing, a dragon boat racing team, and a recently sunk ship to dive on (The Lena). Then there is the Ferguson Valley (20mins away) which is absolutely stunning in the winter and is home to Wellington Dam and forrest, several award winning wineries, lots of great swimming holes and Gnomesville (don't ask).

As for the day to day things there are plenty of decent shops, a cappucino strip, a big selection of cafes and restaurants, lots of bars and three nightclubs.

I know I sound like a member of Bunbury Tourist Centre (a place that does not know the meaning of how to promote anything), but I get a bit p*ssed off with the constant slagging of Bunbury in favour of places like the totally over rated Margaret River. There's a lot more to the place than most people think.

All I can say is come down, pop in for a chat (don't worry I'm not normally as fanatical as this, I think I've had a bit too much caffeine today) and make your own mind up.

Thank you for your time, I'll get off my soap box now and return to my cell for my medication.....
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:14 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any info on bunbury

Originally Posted by Tonyonthemove
Thankfully we were both surprised at how much the place had changed and were impressed at how much Bunbury has to offer compared with other more "desirable" areas in the southwest. A lot of places down here (Busselton, Dunsborough, Margaret River) are nice to visit, but there's just not enough there if you're going to stay for a while. Likewise, further north, Mandurah, although closer to Perth, is just a sprawling mass of houses and holiday homes with no real centre to it.

The good thing about Bunbury is that it has plenty to offer without losing the relaxed feel of a town. There is an excellent beach (Back Beach), a tuart forrest (tuart trees are only found in this part of the world), an estuary with mangroves (10-20,000 years old) and some other nice nature stuff.

There's the Dolphin Discovery Centre (Koombana Bay has between 150-200 dolphins), Big Swamp Wildlife park (has the biggest free flight avairy in WA and you can hand feed kangaroos) and the fishing is pretty good. There are plenty of water sports - kayaking, bodyboarding, sailing, a dragon boat racing team, and a recently sunk ship to dive on (The Lena). Then there is the Ferguson Valley (20mins away) which is absolutely stunning in the winter and is home to Wellington Dam and forrest, several award winning wineries, lots of great swimming holes and Gnomesville (don't ask).

As for the day to day things there are plenty of decent shops, a cappucino strip, a big selection of cafes and restaurants, lots of bars and three nightclubs.

I know I sound like a member of Bunbury Tourist Centre (a place that does not know the meaning of how to promote anything), but I get a bit p*ssed off with the constant slagging of Bunbury in favour of places like the totally over rated Margaret River. There's a lot more to the place than most people think.
Great post! You were one of the ones that lives down there! Great to see you found this thread!

As I said, Bunbury is growing on me(and is itself growing, in size and niceness). If we could move down south Bunbury would be it, even if other places look or seem nicer, Bunbury is the best to live (near), because of it's (services/amineties (can't find the right word...) and work prospects.
But Pascal likes his job here in Subi, and won't have much chance of finding anything like it in Bunbury(for now), so for now we're staying put!

We make plenty of trips around there though, as friends live there, and I partly grew up in Bridgetown.
Last year we went 4WDing near Wellington Dam with friends, and attemped camping, but we didn't get there till 6, the good spots were taken, and it was dark, so we drove back to Bunbury That night was my first night out in Bunbury, and I was surprised how many clubs and pubs there were. More than enough for me anyway, as I'm not really into that stuff anymore anyway.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

I take it the campsite you were trying for was Honeymoon Pool. There is a big deck being built there now which should make it even better for camping at. There's also a disc (frizbee) golf course opening soon, which should be interesting.

Stop by next time your in town and you can sample some of our free coffee and home made chocolate cake we give to the guests every night...

We make plenty of trips around there though, as friends live there, and I partly grew up in Bridgetown.
Last year we went 4WDing near Wellington Dam with friends, and attemped camping, but we didn't get there till 6, the good spots were taken, and it was dark, so we drove back to Bunbury That night was my first night out in Bunbury, and I was surprised how many clubs and pubs there were. More than enough for me anyway, as I'm not really into that stuff anymore anyway.[/QUOTE]
Old Mar 29th 2005, 1:18 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tonyonthemove
I take it the campsite you were trying for was Honeymoon Pool. There is a big deck being built there now which should make it even better for camping at. There's also a disc (frizbee) golf course opening soon, which should be interesting.

Stop by next time your in town and you can sample some of our free coffee and home made chocolate cake we give to the guests every night...
No, not Honeymoon Pool but along Lennard Drive
I wrote this long thread at the time:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260987

lol at the frisbee course! Will definetly go back, and probably to Honeymoon pool!

Yep, will have to drop round... well, chocolate cake makes it a certain
Mmmm, also have to stop in at LJ Hooker, cos old friends of my parents now own it!
Ha, if anyone is looking for property down there, go to Guido, he's good, lots of experience. Tell him Simone sent you. He'll probably have to think a while, been 5 years since I've seen him. Might even have to mention my dad Ton before it clicks lol
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 1:32 pm
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

jocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant future

hi jocky boy here we have now decided we are going to stay in bunbury oh by the way cheers for the site, you've probably got this site also it's called bunbury south west life. have u tried aussiemove.com excellent
thanks
john..
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 12:32 pm
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

jocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant future

hi there simon coming over next year and you never no i might bump into guido as i will be looing for property to rent then eventually to buy. thanks to you and tony the move and everybody else what a lot of info.right now the time here is 1.25 am and im knackered i was at a fortieth birthday party and i am a little worse for wear, dreding the morning getting up for work.
i am a barber to trade and i have to watch there are no ears lying on the floor when i'm done
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 12:41 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by jocky boy
hi there simon coming over next year and you never no i might bump into guido as i will be looing for property to rent then eventually to buy. thanks to you and tony the move and everybody else what a lot of info.right now the time here is 1.25 am and im knackered i was at a fortieth birthday party and i am a little worse for wear, dreding the morning getting up for work.
i am a barber to trade and i have to watch there are no ears lying on the floor when i'm done
Hey, it's Simone, not Simon!
But I'll forgive you cos you're drunk!

Last edited by Simone; Apr 3rd 2005 at 12:44 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 3:28 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

i have been looking for a lot of information on bunbury down the south west but cant find much have you got anything you can tell me looking for anything places to stay, houses, weather anything and everything.
cheers
jocky boy
Never been there but I did lose about $25 betting on the races there at the bookies yesterday
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:03 pm
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

sorry simone no offence intended woke up feeling this morning had shower, shave, made me feel better for work, as i mentioned this morning i have my own buisness i am a barber to trade and i am going to bring all my shop over with me chair,mirrorse.t.c. could you please tell me if there are many barbers in bunbury.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:18 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

sorry simone no offence intended woke up feeling this morning had shower, shave, made me feel better for work, as i mentioned this morning i have my own buisness i am a barber to trade and i am going to bring all my shop over with me chair,mirrorse.t.c. could you please tell me if there are many barbers in bunbury.
What is many....

Barbers (2):
http://www.yellowpages.com.au/search...bury&stateId=3

Hairdressers: (35)
http://www.yellowpages.com.au/search...bury&stateId=3

Australind has 3
http://www.yellowpages.com.au/search...lind&stateId=3

Eatonl: 3
http://www.yellowpages.com.au/search...aton&stateId=3
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:44 pm
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

thanks simone i've have been looking for this information but didn't think about looking through the yellow pages, beth the girlfriend also say's thanks.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 5:10 am
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

hi there it's jocky boy here i was wondering if you can give me some information is there nice beaches in bunbury soft sand e.t.c.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 6:40 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there it's jocky boy here i was wondering if you can give me some information is there nice beaches in bunbury soft sand e.t.c.
Yes mr there is.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

There are two main beaches in Bunbury. Back beach is the most popular one and is pretty long so it never seems crowded, even on busy days. There's a great restaurant, surf club, ample car parking and toilet and shower facilities. The waves can get quite big so it's good for body boarding (not usually big enough for surfing though).

There's also the beach in Koombana Bay next to the Dolphin Discovery Centre, which is a bit more sheltered by the bay so is excellent for small kids. Plus there's a chance of seeing one of the 150-200 resident dolphins.

Both are normally clean and relatively rubbish free, with soft sand and easy shallow access into the water.
Old Apr 9th 2005, 3:54 pm
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

thanks for the reply guys on the beach question it's just that i couldn't find anything on the net so thanks. pretty gutted today i lost 20 Quid on the grand national , i think i backed a donkey