Reload this Page >

Any Info On Aged Parent Migration

Any Info On Aged Parent Migration

Old May 11th 2005, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Signman Glen is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Any Info On Aged Parent Migration

Hi every one

Its been some time since I have been on the forum, been settling down on the gold coast and things are good, well for the rest of the family, I have had to go come back to the uk to finalise the sale of our business, and its winding me up now because I wont be back with my wife and kids until end of august, its a bummer .

Any way back to business is there any body out there who could point me in the right direction on how we start the ball rolling for both my mother and my wife’s mother to move out here when we qualify to sponsor them. My wife’s sister will sponsor my mothering law as they also live out here & I will sponsor my mother. If any one has done this your feed back would be very much appreciated. So come on British Expatians you have never let me down yet.

Many Thanks in advance
A despert Signman Glen wanting to get back to Aus
Old May 11th 2005, 9:45 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Info On Aged Parent Migration

Hi sigman glen.
we have looked into this for my mother in law. i called my agent who did the visa applicaiton for us and he came up with three option.
1) elder parents can basically but their way in. from what i can remember it was $36,000 for the residency and about $15,000 to be paid to medicare. this is steep and can leave otherwise healthy funds drained. not an option for us.
2) the parents need to be living with you for 2 or more years directly before application and proved to be a dependant. again not an option for us.
3) this one is excellent. after you have arrived and settled, the parents in question enter australia on a 6 month holiday visa. whilst there and at any time your parents apply for a (i think this is what it is called) a 'Balance of Carers' visa. basically if the parents have equal amounts of children in the uk to oz or better still more children on oz than uk, they can apply though the fact that the bulk of carers or child most likely to care for them are in australia. your parents will have to take out private medical insurance because they cannot be placed on your family medicare but that should be ok. my agent told me that the way it works is that once applied for the balance of carer visa (it is an invisible visa) takes over from the holiday visa and the parents can stay there until it is processed. the reason this is so good is that it takes at least ten years to be processed. mad or what. once they come to process it (dpending on how old your relatives are to begine with) they will be too old to send back to uk with nothing to go to. with us, our mother is already 82 so, not to be flippent ot hard, she might not be around in ten years anyway, but she will be able to live us with until then.
i hope this helps. it feels like i have rambled and although have read it through seems a bit jumbled to me .
if you have any questions i would be happy to help. although it might take a while to get my head sorted today.
louies
Old May 11th 2005, 10:30 am
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Any Info On Aged Parent Migration

Originally Posted by louise4
Hi sigman glen.
we have looked into this for my mother in law. i called my agent who did the visa applicaiton for us and he came up with three option.
1) elder parents can basically but their way in. from what i can remember it was $36,000 for the residency and about $15,000 to be paid to medicare. this is steep and can leave otherwise healthy funds drained. not an option for us.
2) the parents need to be living with you for 2 or more years directly before application and proved to be a dependant. again not an option for us.
3) this one is excellent. after you have arrived and settled, the parents in question enter australia on a 6 month holiday visa. whilst there and at any time your parents apply for a (i think this is what it is called) a 'Balance of Carers' visa. basically if the parents have equal amounts of children in the uk to oz or better still more children on oz than uk, they can apply though the fact that the bulk of carers or child most likely to care for them are in australia. your parents will have to take out private medical insurance because they cannot be placed on your family medicare but that should be ok. my agent told me that the way it works is that once applied for the balance of carer visa (it is an invisible visa) takes over from the holiday visa and the parents can stay there until it is processed. the reason this is so good is that it takes at least ten years to be processed. mad or what. once they come to process it (dpending on how old your relatives are to begine with) they will be too old to send back to uk with nothing to go to. with us, our mother is already 82 so, not to be flippent ot hard, she might not be around in ten years anyway, but she will be able to live us with until then.
i hope this helps. it feels like i have rambled and although have read it through seems a bit jumbled to me .
if you have any questions i would be happy to help. although it might take a while to get my head sorted today.
louies
Louise,

I hope the 1st option was to buy their way in, dont quite fancy putting my mother through the other way!

We shall be looking at this route as myself and brother will both be in Oz and this will be all her immediate family and our children etc.

I dont think the cost you put there was a lot really if this does get them residency in Oz. Do they not have to have a certain amount in savings to? I am sure someone wrote they have to have something like £347,000 (that is pounds and not dollars) to so they can prove they can take care of themselves etc.

Also, are those two payments one off's or is the Medicare an annual fee etc?

R.
Old May 11th 2005, 10:49 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

it might depend if they get on your nerves and you sit on them.

the savings bit i don't think so. but seeing as this is not an option i may not have listened that closely.
yes, the payment thing to medicare and for the bond to but ooops sorry buy their way in is a one off payment. but if you are going on the balance of carers visa you wont have to pay ony of those amounts.
louise
Old May 11th 2005, 12:39 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light

it might depend if they get on your nerves and you sit on them.

the savings bit i don't think so. but seeing as this is not an option i may not have listened that closely.
yes, the payment thing to medicare and for the bond to but ooops sorry buy their way in is a one off payment. but if you are going on the balance of carers visa you wont have to pay ony of those amounts.
louise
Thanks,

Its a bit of a way off yet but just want to keep up to date with the whole process for her. It will probably all change when the time comes ! ! !

R.
Old May 11th 2005, 12:43 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest Louise, I think you are a tad confused ...

1. Options for Signman Glen's rellies are likely to be a Parent visa (involving a fairly long wait as the number of visas available annually under the Parent visa categories are capped), or the more expensive Contributory Parent visa.

2. Visa application charges for the CP visa are payable to the Department of Immigration, and are intended to partially meet the cost of Medicare, but the fee isn't paid to Medicare.

3. To be eligible for a Parent or a CP visa the parent/s need/s to satisfy the balance of family test.

4. The child who sponsors the parent/s for the Parent or CP visa must be "settled" in Australia. This is usually interpreted by the DIMIA as meaning that the child must have been living lawfully in Australia for at least two years, and is a permanent resident or citizen of Australia when sponsoring.

5. The permanent CP visa also requires an Assurance of Support ... there is also a temporary CP visa category that doesn't require an AoS.

6. It definitely isn't a good idea to travel to Australia on a tourist visa with the intention of applying for a permanent visa ... if found out at Immigration Clearance expect to be put on the next plane from whence you came. A tourist visa is intended to be to allow the holder to have a holiday in Australia ...

There is more information about the above here:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=265
(note that the VACs have increased since that article, and will most probably increase again on 1 July 2005)
http://www.gomatilda.com/visas/famil...Parent%20Visas
http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/fam...ents/index.htm

Best regards.

Hi sigman glen.
louies
Old May 11th 2005, 12:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I think there's some very significant confusion here.

Hi sigman glen.
That's a Contributory Parent Visa.

That sounds something like an Aged Dependent Relative visa. It's a very uncommon option (as far as I know you can't sponsor a married parent under this, to begin with)

This is totally confused. There is such a thing as a carer visa but that has some very specific rules (it's for someone who's going to care for an Australian citizen/PR with serious health issues).

There is no such thing as 'balance of carer'. This sounds like confusion with the 'balance of family' test for parent visas.

And I've never heard of an 'invisible visa'.

What it sounds like is an onshore non-contributory parent visa, which should only be approached with the most extreme caution. Any advice obtained ought to be in writing.

DIMIA can take a dim view of those arriving as tourists with an intention to stay longer, and living in Australia on tourist/bridging visa status for many years can be very difficult. Healthcare is going to be a big problem, for starters.

Do your parents not have a house they can sell, if they want to move to Australia? This is the usual source of funds for UK Contributory Parent visa applicants.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; May 11th 2005 at 12:47 pm.
Old May 11th 2005, 1:02 pm
Sunshine Coast wannabe

shortyanddebbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I have recently been looking at the Aged Dependant Visa for my father.
We validated our PR visa's in March, but will only be moving to Australia in August 2006. My father (who is 75 years old), has been living with us in the UK for the past 4 years.
Do you know if we can apply for the visa for him even if we are not yet living in Australia (we are permanent residents)?
If not, would he be able to move with us (possibly on a 6 month holiday visa), and then as soon as we are there, apply?
Also, would he be able to live in Australia while the visa is being processed? (They say 'substantial wait'!).
Any help greatly appreciiated!
Shorty
Old May 11th 2005, 1:17 pm
forever hopeful

Good job i am not in the migration agent market eh!

JAJ. that's the one. Balance of family. is it not allowed then? i thought that she could come over on holiday visa (she would have to because she has no other) and apply when she is there she will have two children in oz and one in uk.

i thought that after application was made for balance of family the application gave her permission to stay in oz until it is processed, as i said about ten years.

what is the difference between balance of family and non contriburty visa.?
HELP. not only have i confused others. i have confused myself .
louise
Old May 11th 2005, 2:30 pm
I am not the Messiah!

louise
Louise,

I would just like to say thank you as you have give me a good laugh today when I needed it. I have been awaiting the news of a job interview that I had on Monday (have been off work for about a month now) and been thinking about nothing else really but that, until your thread!

Well, I just heard that I got the job so I am in happy mode now. I would also agree that perhaps being a migration agent may not suit you. Not until you have read up a little bit more anyway eh!

R.
Old May 11th 2005, 2:38 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

louise
Parents have to pass the balance of family test to qualify for any parent visa.

This means that at least half their children live in Australia or that more live in Australia than any other country.

The contributory visa is more costly but is processed in 6-9 months. The ordinary (non contributory) parent visa has a waiting list of around 10 years.

You also need to be resident in Australia for 2 years to sponsor and at least 2 years tax returns and a set minimum income to act as assurer.

Unless parents pass the balance of family test then they are not eligible for any parent visa and will need to look at other options which are very limited.

G
Old May 11th 2005, 2:39 pm
forever hopeful

at least i'm good for a laugh.

louise
Old May 11th 2005, 2:48 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

louise
Yes! But more importantly you tried in good faith. We all need a little bit of help now and again! I am sending you karma for your efforts as I have too been more than a little misguided in the past!

Binbird (a fellow confused one!)
Old May 11th 2005, 2:50 pm
forever hopeful

Grayling thank you for putting in words what i completley buggered up.

thanks binbird, i try, i really do.

louise
Old May 11th 2005, 3:06 pm
I am not the Messiah!

louise
I was laughing with you and not at you!

I keep forgetting about the Karma thing so have some on me.

R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.