Any HR experts

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any HR experts

got my offer in as follows:-

base salary (Gross) $105,622
super (9%) $9,506
Lafha (food only) £14,872

Total $130k.

Questions I'd appreciate some advice on

1. I was hoping to avoid a game of brinkmanship, however this is less than what I asked for. do companies expect a bit of horsetrading when it comes to salary and what is the usual amount they expect you to go back with on top?

2. Lafha food element, my understanding is that lafha basically reduces the taxable element of your salary, how would the 14k show on my wage slip?

3. Lafha for rent is not shown, assuming rent of 30k a year would this equate to roughly another 10k added to my package for lafha rent element?

4. Lafha only available for 4 years of 457 visa, if after that I went permanant or got another 457 there would be no lafha available. What happens then normally, is your base salary bumped up? Who is going to accept a 25k wage drop?

Any help much appreciated.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 9:53 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any HR experts

Originally Posted by bingobob777
1. I was hoping to avoid a game of brinkmanship, however this is less than what I asked for. do companies expect a bit of horsetrading when it comes to salary and what is the usual amount they expect you to go back with on top?
In the private sector I would say yes, unless there is some rigid payscale structure in place. In my experience add on maybe 10%...but I guess it depends on a variety of circumstances, how much they want you, number & quality of potential candidates etc.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

JaneArchie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any HR experts

Hi there,

I've been an avid reader of this forum for a little while and thought it about time that I joined.

Your situation is very similar to ourselves (well, my husband actually). He's just received an offer in for a position in Perth on a 457 visa. His salary is split into

Base Salary
Superannuation
LAFHA Food
LAFHA Accommodation

We are a family of 4 (2 kids age 8 & 7). The LAFHA food allowance is $14,872 (set amount based on size of family and age of kids) and the accomodation part is $26,000 (which is an approximate amount at the moment based on a weekly rental of $500). My husband has been advised that if we become PRs or buy a house we will no longer be entitled to this tax break. However, the £30,872 will be added on to the base salary.

Hope this helps. We were a little bit confused with the whole LAFHA thing to start with to.

Jane