Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any HELP, the Dream is fading

Any HELP, the Dream is fading

Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

GaryandBev has a brilliant futureGaryandBev has a brilliant futureGaryandBev has a brilliant futureGaryandBev has a brilliant futureGaryandBev has a brilliant futureGaryandBev has a brilliant future
Default Re: Any HELP, the Dream is fading

Hi Guys
I'm feeling the positive vibes from you all CHEERS
John - Hope you complete and all goes smoothly. Let us know.
I'm gonna speak with the company and see what they have to say. I know my new boss quite well and I think he will understand.
CHEERS
Gary
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Three years ago we were in a similar situation and I arranged with a rental agent at the very last minute (2 weeks before we flew) to try and find a tenant who may later be interested in buying it - 8 stressful months later my tenants did exactly that.

My sister also had her home on the market for a long time -18 months. They dropped the price drastically after about 6months and were finally able to accept a part exchange deal so she had a much cheaper house to sell.

Strange thing was they'd already got an interested party and it looks like the cheaper house will be sold for only 5k less than they accepted.

It's been fussy, expensive (they had a bridging loan for all that time) but at least they are now rid of it.

Good luck - I know how dreadful it is from experience but think laterally if there are any options open to you.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Olivia G is an unknown quantity at this point

gary wish you all the best and i hope you get out here!!!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Faircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really niceFaircity is just really nice

Originally Posted by GaryandBev
Hi Guys
I'm feeling the positive vibes from you all CHEERS
John - Hope you complete and all goes smoothly. Let us know.
I'm gonna speak with the company and see what they have to say. I know my new boss quite well and I think he will understand.
CHEERS
Gary
Hi I have only just read this thread and we are the same as you Gary - tho only had the house on the market for 3 weeks. Someone picked up the details on Saturday - cash buyer wanting to let perfect thought me and my OH! Oh no they didn't even view but bought another house........ their choice in this market I guess but bl**dy annoying for us:curse: I guess we are all going to have to ride this one together Tho I agree with what erveryone has said on here we are the same OH has been offered a job and we asked at the time how long we had we were shocked when they said up to 12 months so your employer may well be in the same position I just keep thinking we will get there I am determined to do it now more than ever! Ain't going to let it beat us!!!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

GaryandBev has a brilliant futureGaryandBev has a brilliant futureGaryandBev has a brilliant futureGaryandBev has a brilliant futureGaryandBev has a brilliant futureGaryandBev has a brilliant future

Hi Guys
Good to here from you Olivia, are you in Aus? and Faircity we are all with you.

I phoned my new boss on Thursday and told him our situation - he was fine about everything. He didn't give me any time limit, but just not to worry the job is mine and get here asap. All said and done its still frustrating to know we have everything in place except selling the house.
I'll let you know what happens next - unless anybody has any other ideas
CHEERS
Gary
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

In Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really nice

Hi - I have been following your posts for a while as I share your pain. We are in the same situation here in Ireland. So close but yet so far. I just want to offer you some encouragement to stay positive. Just think how good it will feel when all this is behind you and you are on the plane to Australia.

Keep the spirits up and stay the course.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Hey GaryandBev,

Good to hear things went well with the chat with your boss-to-be. It is scary how much of our lives we live in our head, as opposed to the reality, which is often much simpler and lacking in stress!!

Twinset
Old Sep 29th 2008, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Hi Guys
Nothing happened yet, hows it with everbody else?
We have just put the price up on the house. No use selling it for a penny!!
CHEERS
Gary
Old Sep 29th 2008, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

In Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really nice

Originally Posted by GaryandBev
Hi Guys
Nothing happened yet, hows it with everbody else?
We have just put the price up on the house. No use selling it for a penny!!
CHEERS
Gary
No updates from this side of the pond in Ireland. Things very quiet on the housing front. Hoping this mess in the US will clear up and give us all some hope. Looking to start reducing the house price in a few weeks if things dont pick up here too.

We have just got to be patient and hang in there for another while. All good things come to those who wait. So they say..
Old Sep 29th 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Hey all,

Tin hats are on, if you have seen the news tonight - apparently banker is spelt with a "w".....

Some positive thoughts - the UK is forecast to grow by a huge number over the next few years and become a densely populated island: where are they all gonna live? - They will all need acommodation.............could be your house.

I am sure many of you can remember the last housing market correction: everyone thought that was it for house prices: no, it was the start of another cycle!! Way higher than the last.

Mortgages are sputtering to a halt - listened to a report on 5 live today, saying that estate agencies are getting divorces and some property for sons and daughters....and that's it. Meanwhile, the rental market is going to go up big time......

The dream is never dead.....it just needs a bit of reworking and occasionally a change in perspective: what was previously a stone pillar suddenly becomes a negotiable.....we are living in fast-moving times.

Interestingly, the exchange rate is going to go nuts: already moved up 5 cents inside 3 hours..............

Keep the faith, suspect that the next 6 months could be a bumpy ride, but keep in mind the basics: people need somewhere to live and you have a solution for someone out there.....

Twinset
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Hi, sorry to butt in on this thread............ we've had our house on the market for 4mths now, had a few offers but they are way lower than we can afford to take. We're looking at coming out next May time, initially on a student visa then being sponsored on a 457, then a ENS! bit of a long way round but hey its taken us 3 yrs to even get this far so we're taking this chance while we've got it!

Anyway, we've, lowered the house by £20k already and we're still being offered £20k less than the asking price! We had an offer today, but it was £20k less than the asking price! I'm still debating whether it would be better to rent it out?

We could do with the equity from it mind you as we need it to pay for my course fees, kids school fees and everything else that goes with it, but we're having to loose so much money would we be better of hanging on to it for a few years????????

Any advice or suggestions welcome??????????
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Tin Hats and body armour too.

Cheers for that positives. Its all about the cycles and getting the timing right, i guess it come with a bit of luck and lots of experience.

You are right on the exchange rate, the graphs for the last month are unreal. I wonder just how low the dollar will go. Great time to have some spare cash, but even if one did what institution would you trust to handle it.

Strange times....its amazing what greed does.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stumpysean
Hi, sorry to butt in on this thread............ we've had our house on the market for 4mths now, had a few offers but they are way lower than we can afford to take. We're looking at coming out next May time, initially on a student visa then being sponsored on a 457, then a ENS! bit of a long way round but hey its taken us 3 yrs to even get this far so we're taking this chance while we've got it!

Anyway, we've, lowered the house by £20k already and we're still being offered £20k less than the asking price! We had an offer today, but it was £20k less than the asking price! I'm still debating whether it would be better to rent it out?

We could do with the equity from it mind you as we need it to pay for my course fees, kids school fees and everything else that goes with it, but we're having to loose so much money would we be better of hanging on to it for a few years????????

Any advice or suggestions welcome??????????
If you can afford to hang on I would. Unfortunately I am not in that postion, I need to sell as I am already committed and tied in to a new place in Australia.

The market will come back again, it always does. It depends how long people are willing to wait to start buying again. The world is not getting any smaller.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

.......and life is just too short to worry about it for too long......!!

I guess the answer to sell or rent depends on how much you need for your new life, and what you believe the market is going to do and when. Do you need the money out in 6 months ....or 3 years??

As said, the market always comes back...just a question of how long?
Old Oct 1st 2008, 7:25 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinset
.......and life is just too short to worry about it for too long......!!

I guess the answer to sell or rent depends on how much you need for your new life, and what you believe the market is going to do and when. Do you need the money out in 6 months ....or 3 years??

As said, the market always comes back...just a question of how long?

To be honest in 2006 I had a bad feeling in my water on property ,,,, so far my water has no good feeling looking forward.

Today I moved my savings out of a UK bank to an Australian one early, because I don't trust Gordons commitment to safe guarding it.

I have no confidence in the ability of any currency to stay stable.

I dont want to commit to any long term purchase as I believe the price of everything is falling..like a car.

Once a few months have passed and the last bank has fell riddled with debt into Nationalisation or bankruptcy. The papers finally find a new topi c rather than chicken licken (the sky is falling stories) People will emerge from financial foxholes and buy a sofa on credit. Then just maybe look around to buy a house once rent > Mortgage payments.

Stumpy there is no gurantee that in two years your house will not be worth 20 grand less. Or the Aus dollar 20 cent stronger killing your sterling sale price . The question you have to ask is do you want to spend the next few years here or in Oz.

This is after a no sh*t assessment of cam you afford it.

Best of Luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.