Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any flies in Perth?

any flies in Perth?

Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice
Default any flies in Perth?

I'm in Broome and theres tons of damn flies. are there less in Perth?
Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: any flies in Perth?

I'd say so, but haven't been to Broome. You certainly do get flies in Perth, but they're normally bad around November/December.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Once you've swallowed your 100th fly, you don't notice them so much Perth in summer is a nightmare for them.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BeachBassist
I'm in Broome and theres tons of damn flies. are there less in Perth?
Flies are a problem in early summer. Some years are worse that others. Last summer was not too bad but the previous summer they were an issue.

Flies are generally a problem Australia wide.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Any flies in perth?

The phrase does a does a bear shite in the woods springs to mind

Last edited by jad n rich; Aug 25th 2009 at 1:57 am.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:04 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I have a classic photo of my families time in Perth a couple of years ago. My mum is wearing a cream coloured light coat which is virtually all black on the back as it is covered in flies. For some reason the flies really loved that coat!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Um, this is Australia, bl**dy flies everywhere - worse in the summer of course, they dont like the cold of the southern states in winter
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

I remember last year me and the wife were down in Augusta, and decided to buy some fish n chips and sit on the beach.

What a mistake!

My wife got out of the car, and as I followed her the back of her top was absolutely swarming. It was like something from a horror film. Needless to say, we swatted them off and jumped back in the car.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 7:43 am
Just Joined

under35 is an unknown quantity at this point

in the uk i have often played golf and had made 20 files buzzing round my head for the whole round, i mean...dont flies exist everywhere? whats the deal.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 7:52 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by under35
in the uk i have often played golf and had made 20 files buzzing round my head for the whole round, i mean...dont flies exist everywhere? whats the deal.
You have obviously not encountered Australian bush flies.....there are entirely different to any you will encounter in the UK
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

TheSun is just really niceTheSun is just really niceTheSun is just really niceTheSun is just really niceTheSun is just really niceTheSun is just really niceTheSun is just really niceTheSun is just really nice

Originally Posted by under35
australia has killer flies, as big as wild dogs with a sting like a python
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:29 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

there flies ALL OVER australia in EVERY city but some places have more of a problem than others at one time or another (you could go to Broome and find no flies at all) and this depends many things- the weather, the time of year, the humidity, the wind diection (I kid you not!) your distance from the bush, your distance from the sea.... I could go on but just to say that they can be very localised indeed.
So dont be put off by them, just try to get on with it - thats the best thing, you'll notice one day that there arent any and you'll wonder where they've gone-then there will be another thread on here asking 'Are there always flies in ....'?
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an interesting article all about the flies in Oz for most cities and in general.

http://www.viacorp.com/flybook/fulltext.html
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice

Thanks guys. I'm in Perth now. no flies yet. Broome was swarming with them. couldn't eat or sit outside. I guess they do like the heat.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BeachBassist
Thanks guys. I'm in Perth now. no flies yet. Broome was swarming with them. couldn't eat or sit outside. I guess they do like the heat.
Give it a few weeks and you will be introduced to more.Come summer we dont go out till we are covered in fly spray.You get the hang of it.You spray around the outdoor table before you sit round it,spray your self and the kids.cover food up and put it back in esky /fridge asap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.