Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a yr?

Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a yr?

Old Jan 27th 2012, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a

Originally Posted by Sunshine7
With the average house price you'll be paying around $34K (maybe more) per year over a 30 year mortgage Don't know how people could manage to do that on less than $100K gross per year to be honest.
Right, so you get your new mortgage and you have to tighten your belt for the first couple of years...........is this something new
Old Jan 27th 2012, 6:14 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Right, so you get your new mortgage and you have to tighten your belt for the first couple of years...........is this something new
It's not, but what might be new to many posters, is when the value of your home falls, your wages track sideways for a few years and interest rates rocket up.... been there, done that and it's not fun.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I think the point he was making is that $34k a year is a huge amount of cash to be handing out. It would not take many bits of bad luck to find you staring at repossession. I know i have been there. Average mortgage all tickety boo, then i was made redundant and wife became ill and couldnt work. Result was came in a hairs breadth of losing the lot. Only saved by the fact i got offered a new job the day of the repossession hearing and court granted a suspended repossession order.

In Oz, with traditionaly high interest, a person buying a variable rate at the moment, could in a couple of years find themselves staring at an interest payment beyond their means.

It also answers the original post. Average house price (in Perth) is $450k. A mortgage of $400k means a repayment of between $30-36k. To service that, you need a minimum of a $100k a year income. Otherwise you are facing mortgage stress.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
It's not, but what might be new to many posters, is when the value of your home falls, your wages track sideways for a few years and interest rates rocket up.... been there, done that and it's not fun.
But that's always the risk you take when you have a mortgage, only thing you can do (if you're able) is ride it out and wait for things to get better.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by verystormy
I think the point he was making is that $34k a year is a huge amount of cash to be handing out. It would not take many bits of bad luck to find you staring at repossession. I know i have been there. Average mortgage all tickety boo, then i was made redundant and wife became ill and couldnt work. Result was came in a hairs breadth of losing the lot. Only saved by the fact i got offered a new job the day of the repossession hearing and court granted a suspended repossession order.

In Oz, with traditionaly high interest, a person buying a variable rate at the moment, could in a couple of years find themselves staring at an interest payment beyond their means.

It also answers the original post. Average house price (in Perth) is $450k. A mortgage of $400k means a repayment of between $30-36k. To service that, you need a minimum of a $100k a year income. Otherwise you are facing mortgage stress.
I agree, but if you're a first time buyer, or on a lower income, maybe you should be looking at property that's under the average for Perth.

There are plenty of options there, it might mean living further out from the city, or something smaller, but surely those are the types of homes we were all looking at when we were first time buyers?
Old Jan 27th 2012, 6:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, but if you're a first time buyer, or on a lower income, maybe you should be looking at property that's under the average for Perth.

There are plenty of options there, it might mean living further out from the city, or something smaller, but surely those are the types of homes we were all looking at when we were first time buyers?
That's true. It seems that many FTHBs here want a 4x2 or 3x2 in a nice suburb. My 1st property was a 2x1 flat in South Croydon - gotta start somewhere.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, but it also goes back to the earlier posts of why would you come here to find yourself in a crappier house in a crappier place than you were back in the UK? Pointless excersice. The sun might shine more in Perth than the UK, but i know for me it would be worthless sunshine if i was sat there in a house that was crap.

For some, coming here and only earning a small income, it might still be a better option than what they had back in the UK. But i would suspect for most, to come here and find you are earning less than $100k, it will mean a reduction in lifestyle and i just do not get the point of that.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 7:56 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a

Not too great for long term though is it. You dont want to have rent or a mortgage once retired.
I wouldn't, but many people do.

In fact, renting is often spruiked by the property doomsayers as a preferable option for life. I've had many of them tell me they put their spare cash into shares, gold, silver, super, etc. and expect to be sitting pretty when they retire.

Personally I'd rather pay off my mortgage and leave something behind to give my kids get a leg up.

^^ This, ladies and gentlemen, is the shizzle. Nobody ever went broke by living within their means.

I agree, but it also goes back to the earlier posts of why would you come here to find yourself in a crappier house in a crappier place than you were back in the UK? Pointless excersice. The sun might shine more in Perth than the UK, but i know for me it would be worthless sunshine if i was sat there in a house that was crap.
Very true, but some people are able to find a cheap Australian house which is much better than their UK house. We did!

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jan 27th 2012 at 7:59 am.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 1:36 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

I never believe a bloody word that guy says. If you listen to him he's on three gazillion pounds a year, works in 'the City', but spends 90% of his time in the pub.
Ha Ha......love it!!
Old Jan 27th 2012, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

I never believe a bloody word that guy says. If you listen to him he's on three gazillion pounds a year, works in 'the City', but spends 90% of his time in the pub.
No just vastly more than I on was in Sydney paying less to live and it's only 2 hour lunches. If you want photos I can send them to you.

I just happen to work in a city where my skills are valued which sadly is not in Australia where IT skills are not valued at all as you can see by the number of jobs being off shored.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Your $100k will go a lot further, even in Sydney.

Ooh, we have a salary diva! So how much money do you get out of bed for?
No it's wont.

And Sydney would require a minimum of $200k as I've told many recruitment agents over the last year.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 10:07 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
No it's wont.

And Sydney would require a minimum of $200k as I've told many recruitment agents over the last year.
That is complete and utter rubbish....a 'minimum' of $200k would give you a great lifestyle in Sydney and access to far more things than in UK.

Maybe your stance is why you can't get back to Sydney, you have overpriced yourself out of the market.....have you considered that? I'm not saying you are not worth it, I don't know your skills or experience, but your approach certainly does have its failings.....and a sense of immaturity.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 10:11 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I do agree that you wouldn't need 200k but I don't agree that it would give you access to far more things than in the UK. One of the big bonuses you get living in the UK is that you are on the doorstep of Europe and a short (cheap) flight away from the US.

B]
Originally Posted by paddyo
That is complete and utter rubbish....a 'minimum' of $200k would give you a great lifestyle in Sydney and access to far more things than in UK.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 10:23 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by chris955
I do agree that you wouldn't need 200k but I don't agree that it would give you access to far more things than in the UK. One of the big bonuses you get living in the UK is that you are on the doorstep of Europe and a short (cheap) flight away from the US.

B]
Yes I will concede that, what I meant was access to things in Sydney itself which in my limited opinion is more open than London for example. In Sydney the sheer proximity of the beach, harbour, mountians and National Parks as well as the delights of some of the city itself far outweighs the accepted pleasantries of 'the old smoke'.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 10:34 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

For you of course, for me beaches are of zero importance and London just has something very few cities has which is why it is one of the great cities of the world along with New York, Paris and Rome. I would never live in any city anyway but we are all different.

Originally Posted by paddyo
Yes I will concede that, what I meant was access to things in Sydney itself which in my limited opinion is more open than London for example. In Sydney the sheer proximity of the beach, harbour, mountians and National Parks as well as the delights of some of the city itself far outweighs the accepted pleasantries of 'the old smoke'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.