Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a yr?

Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a yr?

Old Jan 26th 2012, 5:35 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any families in Australia living on a combined income of less than $100,000 a yea

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Stagger me. For some strange reason I always had the impression you were doing it tough.

Oh well. Glad to hear things have turned out so nicely for you.
not tough, homesick more like (and melbourne aint cheap to live in) plus we need an accountant to live with us,.......... god knows wot we do with our money

Last edited by Margaret3; Jan 26th 2012 at 5:37 am.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a

Originally Posted by Kiwikaye
Comparing salaries in NZ to almost anywhere else is pretty much a waste of time anyway, people get so underpaid here its not funny (and no, that's not a whinge, just a fact of life).
Maybe not really underpaid. Australians are overpaid, by quite some margin in many areas. Tradies, miners, truckies, waiting staff etc are all on some pretty good packages over here compared to anywhere in the world.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a

Originally Posted by stuie83
It's very refreshing to read a thread about people enjoying life on a 'normal' budget. I guess a lot of people emigrate to Australia in the hopes that their salaries will be increased, they will buy a bigger better home and have enough spare cash to satisfy their social habits, whether that be booze, holidays, theme parks etc, etc. And these things definitely cost a lot of money and are relatively more expensive than in the UK.

So I guess the meaning of getting by varies from one family to another, and it seems for a lot of British expats 'getting by' equates to life at the luxurious end of the scale for those who are used to coping on a pretty tight budget. Some contributors to this forum are only to happy to point out how vast their incomes are, and how you couldn't possibly cope with a normal salary; strangely some are also at pains to express their dissatisfaction with life down under despite their whopping pay packets. I often feel we're satisfying the narcissist within when discouraging others from exploring emigration as some members are unable to see the point if you can't send the kids to private school, visit England every year or two, or live in the thick of it close to the CBD of a major city.

Yeah raising a family on less than $100,000 a year is going to be tight, but the 'average' Australian salary is around $72k so plenty of locals must manage. Yeah you're not going to live next door to the CBD, you won't have the most expensive car, you won't by flying the family back to England every other year but that doesn't necessarily mean life is of a poorer quality for you, depends how you get by in the UK. There have been threads before of people getting by on a more modest budget, and finding Australia favourable for them due to spending more time out doors, at the parks with the kids etc.
You forget that a lot of the locals (families) who are on an average salary live in a household where both partners need to be working to service their mortgage! So two average salaries takes them over the $100k. Many that I know do even more than that with one of them having two jobs! And when you are in a position of both needing to work and one holding a couple of jobs then I doubt that quality of life is going to be fabulous. I do admit that Canberra is a notoriously expensive place to live though and you arent going to get a place to live with much less than $25k pa either rent or mortgage.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It's patronising when you state that people don't consider that. Yes it needs considering when you're deciding how much you need to earn but both you and Quoll stated that you can't believe people don't think about it. You don't know what people do or do not consider when they're weighing up the pros and cons. It's a matter of wording.
No, I genuinely believe that people dont realize about their retirement options until it is too late - not just new migrants either I must add. And of course it is because they are going hand to mouth (been there, done that, learned too late!) but it is something that people do need to take into account and perhaps if someone has a light bulb moment because of what has been said here and works out ways to protect themselves against the future then so much the better. It wasnt meant to be pejorative just more by way of a heads up and if it was taken as patronizing then, sorry! Sadly, in this day and age, planning for the future has to be part of today.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

It is a lot easier for those who came a fair while ago as they benefited from a very favourable exchange rate and housing costs were significantly lower. Most we able to come and put down a huge deposit, which means in todays terms they have a tiny mortgage
Today, a lot come with enough to tide them over and have to rent and then will be faced with a large mortgage.

It also depends on lifestyle and what someone considers ok. That will vary for everyone. We (me and wife with no kids) certainly could not get by on less than $120k. I am very fotunate that my income is a fair bit higher than that and although we never struggle, i wouldnt say we were living in luxury.

The average house in Perth now costs over $450k. Even with a $50k deposit it means you need a salary of $130k to be able to service the mortgage.

I dont understand anyone comming if they are going to be worse off. No good saying money isnt everything, because it is 99% of everything. If you are going to have a crappier house in a crappier area, not being able to afford the same social life, not being able to go on the same holidays and everything else then the money in your pocket is everything.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Any families in Australia living on a combined income of less than $100,000 a yea

Originally Posted by quoll
I think people forget that they need to look towards their retirement and that they arent going to get terribly far even with the soon to be 12% unless they have put it away for their entire working life and added a significant amount of their own money into their super pots as well. I will say that salary sacrificing and paying well more than the basic 9% was the best thing we ever did but we were, even back in the day, earning more than $100k between us.

Personally I dont know how some of you guys manage with what you have reported on here - it cant be a very comfortable lifestyle to have to be scrimping and saving all the time.
So long as you have a freehold house by the time you retire you are in a strong position. Can always mortgage it and buy an annuity (ok - the kids might not be happy), plus for many there will be inheritances in the middle-aged years
Old Jan 26th 2012, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Notwithstanding the high cost of living in Australia, $100k is a lot of money. The people who say it's chickenfeed are the same folks who complain about trying to find a good butler in Toorak.

We're living on a lot less than the average national wage, though we do have a very low mortgage (~$156k).

It's not easy, but it is possible and in our case it's only short term while I'm studying. We were sitting pretty when I had a full time job and a company car.
In Adelaide 100K may be a lot of money but in Sydney it isn't and frankly I wouldn't get out of bed for that kind of money.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 12:30 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
In Adelaide 100K may be a lot of money but in Sydney it isn't and frankly I wouldn't get out of bed for that kind of money.
<Deleted Due To 1 Year Salary Comment Indemnity Contract>
Old Jan 26th 2012, 12:30 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you're alright Jack.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 3:15 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Maybe not really underpaid. Australians are overpaid, by quite some margin in many areas. Tradies, miners, truckies, waiting staff etc are all on some pretty good packages over here compared to anywhere in the world.

If I was looking to move to UK based on my current OZ salary (and current exchange rates) I should get X, when the reality is I would think myself fortunate to get X/3 or X/3.5.

When I left Germany nearly 8 years ago I was earning a reasonable salary and my first job in OZ was a big pay decrease. I took it cos I had no OZ experience and I thought it was the perfect job for my skill set, but the reality was the job sucked (I was sold a lemon). But it gave me that valuable OZ experience and just over a year later I moved companies and got a big increase in salary. Then a few years later I moved companies again and got another big increase in salary. Nearly 8 years later I'm on a brilliant rate by anybody's standards and I'm doing a role that I would never have thought about back then but am absolutely loving.

I'm paid a fair rate (according to WA market) but if I had to translate that back to an equivalent UK job ..... it wouldnt be pretty for my current lifestyle I'm gonna be riding the OZ gravy train for all its worth and for as long as I can
Old Jan 26th 2012, 11:55 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Any families in Australia living on combined gross income of less than $100,000 a

In Adelaide 100K may be a lot of money but in Sydney it isn't
$100k is a lot of money anywhere in Australia. How you spend it is up to you. Can't afford to buy? Rent instead. Your $100k will go a lot further, even in Sydney.

and frankly I wouldn't get out of bed for that kind of money.
Ooh, we have a salary diva! So how much money do you get out of bed for?
Old Jan 27th 2012, 12:15 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I never believe a bloody word that guy says. If you listen to him he's on three gazillion pounds a year, works in 'the City', but spends 90% of his time in the pub.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to allSunshine7 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by verystormy
It is a lot easier for those who came a fair while ago as they benefited from a very favourable exchange rate and housing costs were significantly lower. Most we able to come and put down a huge deposit, which means in todays terms they have a tiny mortgage
Today, a lot come with enough to tide them over and have to rent and then will be faced with a large mortgage.

It also depends on lifestyle and what someone considers ok. That will vary for everyone. We (me and wife with no kids) certainly could not get by on less than $120k. I am very fotunate that my income is a fair bit higher than that and although we never struggle, i wouldnt say we were living in luxury.

The average house in Perth now costs over $450k. Even with a $50k deposit it means you need a salary of $130k to be able to service the mortgage.

I dont understand anyone comming if they are going to be worse off. No good saying money isnt everything, because it is 99% of everything. If you are going to have a crappier house in a crappier area, not being able to afford the same social life, not being able to go on the same holidays and everything else then the money in your pocket is everything.
With the average house price you'll be paying around $34K (maybe more) per year over a 30 year mortgage Don't know how people could manage to do that on less than $100K gross per year to be honest.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

$100k is a lot of money anywhere in Australia. How you spend it is up to you. Can't afford to buy? Rent instead. Your $100k will go a lot further, even in Sydney.

Not too great for long term though is it. You dont want to have rent or a mortgage once retired.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 5:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
I'm gonna be riding the OZ gravy train for all its worth and for as long as I can
Choo, choo! All aboard!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.