Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any expats in their 20s/early 30s living in melbourne

any expats in their 20s/early 30s living in melbourne

Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:21 am
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point
Default any expats in their 20s/early 30s living in melbourne

curious like. interested in knowing your opinions on what the city is like from a non-parent perspective i.e. i'm not interested in knowing what nice surburban areas are good to live in and where i can find good schools. if you dont want to post on the this thread feel free to pm me and i'll reply via pm. cheers all.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:37 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

My cousin lives in Melbourne. We visited with her for a few days when we were in Australia. She loved it. She wasn't married and she had no kids. She had grown up in London and been here almost all her life. The reasons she gave for liking it so much was the weather, the openess of the city, the fact that it was a city and therefore lots of city things to do (theatre, cinema, eating out, concerts, clubs) and yet it was easy and quick to get to places that weren't part of the city. It was clean, cheaper than London and didn't have that snobbiness about it like London or Sydney. She would have been in her early 30's at the time. Mr Vee liked Melbourne as well. I think if it doesn't work out for us in Qld then he would like to try Melb. It was a pretty city I must admit, and it did have a certain buzz about it.

She lived in a cool house as well. It was only small - one bedroom - but it had a tree in it. The house was built around the tree. It was tres cool.

I think Badgers knows Melb pretty well. He is recently married but I'm pretty sure doesn't have any kids. He may be able to give more info as a non parent.

You must be off soon F.....Friday is it??
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

great cafe culture, fantastic sporting scene (both as participant and spectator), abundance of shops, amazing selection of bars and restaurants. Work social scene was good in CBD (Friday night drinks, etc). Definately a cool place to live as there is so much going on and so many great places to explore - St Kilda, Fitzroy St, Brunswick St, Chapel St.

(However we've just left as being early 30s we're about to be parents and decided it is NOT the place we want to be! We also decided that the big city is not for us as it's too noisy, polluted, and we need to be somewhere more green, less urban, and with more accessible countryside (but I don't mean a day trip to the Dandenongs or Botanical Gardens!))
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:46 am
What's he asking?

You must be off soon F.....Friday is it??
friday week Vee.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:52 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

how exciting!!!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Lany is on a distinguished road
Default Re: any expats in their 20s/early 30s living in melbourne

Originally posted by Fuzzyness
curious like. interested in knowing your opinions on what the city is like from a non-parent perspective i.e. i'm not interested in knowing what nice surburban areas are good to live in and where i can find good schools. if you dont want to post on the this thread feel free to pm me and i'll reply via pm. cheers all.
Hey, me and hubby are in our mid twenties, have been here over 3 months (he is an aussie) We live right in the city centre and I really like it, loads of places to eat and drink. Like being in the centre of it all. Rent is quite pricey but it's worth it as we have a really lovely place.

When are you coming?
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Vee

I think Badgers knows Melb pretty well. He is recently married but I'm pretty sure doesn't have any kids. He may be able to give more info as a non parent.
Badgers got married?
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:22 am
What's he asking?

Originally posted by Lany
Hey, me and hubby are in our mid twenties, have been here over 3 months (he is an aussie) We live right in the city centre and I really like it, loads of places to eat and drink. Like being in the centre of it all. Rent is quite pricey but it's worth it as we have a really lovely place.

When are you coming?
i'll be in melbourne from the 9th of Feb to the 14th.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:22 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

I think so......he keeps referring to his Missus as Mrs Badgers and not Mrs Badgers to be. I may have missed something tho. ooh I think this is how rumours get started.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

i'll be in melbourne from the 9th of Feb to the 14th.
is that to validate? where are u planning on living?
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:39 am
What's he asking?

no its not to validate, its more of a fact finding mission. i'm hoping to talk to recruitment agencies and people doing the job i do to get a feel for how easy it would be for me to find work if i were to apply and move.

i was in melbourne this time last year and really enjoyed it. i'm going back to confirm whether my original opinion of it remains true. this time i intend to spend a bit more time in and around the city centre as well as looking at some of the areas surrounding the CBD. i want to get a feel for potential areas that a single bloke in his late 20s would want to live. i stayed in St Kilda last time and thought it was great, right up my street.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

no its not to validate, its more of a fact finding mission. i'm hoping to talk to recruitment agencies and people doing the job i do to get a feel for how easy it would be for me to find work if i were to apply and move.

i was in melbourne this time last year and really enjoyed it. i'm going back to confirm whether my original opinion of it remains true. this time i intend to spend a bit more time in and around the city centre as well as looking at some of the areas surrounding the CBD. i want to get a feel for potential areas that a single bloke in his late 20s would want to live. i stayed in St Kilda last time and thought it was great, right up my street.
yeah st kilda would be a great place to live or south yarra/chapel street area, id say theyd both be great for a single bloke!
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 11:35 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Not there yet but are on our way (currently in Thailand) will arrive into Melbourne on 18th Feb along with hubby. I am late 20's hubby is early 30's. We will be living in Rosebud on the mornington Peninsula.

Jo
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by joh117
Not there yet but are on our way (currently in Thailand) will arrive into Melbourne on 18th Feb along with hubby. I am late 20's hubby is early 30's. We will be living in Rosebud on the mornington Peninsula.

Jo
Rosebud is lovely Jo, we visited there recently. How's Thailand?
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't even been to Melbourne but just thought that I'd add that 2 of my friends lived in Elsternwick and absolutely loved it. Loads of great places to see and things to do and great restaraunts too. The only downside was that they found it hard to make friends as they were a couple who worked in smallish companies. She reckoned it would be far easier to make friends if you have children, through school etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.