Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Expats in Melbourne?

Any Expats in Melbourne?

Old Feb 2nd 2006, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Expats in Melbourne?

Ah, I see from reading on you are moving to Riddell's Creek not Mt Macedon.

OzTennis
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Ah, I see from reading on you are moving to Riddell's Creek not Mt Macedon.

OzTennis
Good view of Mt. Macedon though
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teliko21
Good view of Mt. Macedon though
Too right! The last time we came over the top of Mt Macedon (from Woodend) we hit snow and black ice and the car skidded gently off the road and we had to be towed out by a tractor. When we got down to the Trading Post the police were blocking the road not allowing anyone to go up the mountain!

Lancefield is well worth visiting if you are not familiar with it yet. The bakery is superb and they have a good farmers market each month.

OzTennis
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Too right! The last time we came over the top of Mt Macedon (from Woodend) we hit snow and black ice and the car skidded gently off the road and we had to be towed out by a tractor. When we got down to the Trading Post the police were blocking the road not allowing anyone to go up the mountain!

Lancefield is well worth visiting if you are not familiar with it yet. The bakery is superb and they have a good farmers market each month.

OzTennis

There were a fair few nurses, from Sunbury mental hospital, that used to live out bullangarook way, on the Gisbourne - Bacchus marsh Rd. All 4 of them got burnt out on Ash Wednesday, back in 83. The others on the Romsey side escaped unscathed.

It's very interesting out on the back blocks through that way, get to see an amazing amount of wildlife, from wombats, through to Koalas. I'd be very nervous in the summer though.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 2nd 2006 at 11:17 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 11:14 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

We're here - and love it

Live in fab Elsternwick which is the suburb next to St Kilda and Elwood.

Cas
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
There were a fair few nurses, from Sunbury mental hospital, that used to live out bullangarook way, on the Gisbourne - Bacchus marsh Rd. All 4 of them got burnt out on Ash Wednesday, back in 83. The others on the Romsey side escaped unscathed.

It's very interesting out on the back blocks through that way, get to see an amazing amount of wildlife, from wombats, through to Koalas. I'd be very nervous in the summer though.
My boyfriend's parents had a mother koala with baby pass through their block a few months back. They were telling me how they didn't used to have a week go by when they didn't see a koala in their garden, now they are lucky to see 1 a year They have also told me about the Ash Wednesday fires, they were very nervous, they could see the fire about the Mt but luckily it never reached them. Especially scary for them as my boyfriend was barely a year old at the time!
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Teliko21
My boyfriend's parents had a mother koala with baby pass through their block a few months back. They were telling me how they didn't used to have a week go by when they didn't see a koala in their garden, now they are lucky to see 1 a year They have also told me about the Ash Wednesday fires, they were very nervous, they could see the fire about the Mt but luckily it never reached them. Especially scary for them as my boyfriend was barely a year old at the time!
My best friend and his wife and 3 children were left with the clothes they were wearing in '83. They lived at the base of Mt Macedon, not far from the Avenue of Honour. They re-built on the same block on the theory that 'lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place' and lived very happily there until about 4 or 5 years ago when they moved to Williamstown. The daily trip for his wife to the city to work in a hospital and their children going to Uni and their love of sailing made them move down.

We used to have 3 or 4 koalas on our block permanently for all the years we owned it. In case anyone didn't see it there are some great koala pics in this thread - I particularly the 2 at the swimming pool.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=koalas

OzTennis
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

jimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 29palms
me and my wife will be out in April to Melbourne.. But god only knows where we will end up living until we get there. All I know is I will be working in Box Hill. But interested in meeting up with others
We are heading to Melbourne 17th March. We are going to be staying in Mooroolbark, I think that is near Box hill as my sister sometimes works in there, she works for the local housing authortity. My other sister lives in Croydon Hills, hubby going to be working in Bayswater.

Margaret
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we live in Melbourne too- near Newport.

There seems to be a fair few people who have succombed to the charms of the west...
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 10:51 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster

There seems to be a fair few people who have succombed to the charms of the west...
Charms
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, the joys of crossing the Westgate Bridge which seems to have permanent roadworks on it would be enough to convince anyone to live over here :P
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

...and of course the delightful aroma from the organic recyclers/ Altona refinery/whatever when the wind is in the wrong direction....
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

...and of course the delightful aroma from the organic recyclers/ Altona refinery/whatever when the wind is in the wrong direction....
That fertilizer plant is particularly appealing (at the corner of the Ring Road/Westgate Freeway)
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

wendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant future

hi all
we moved to aspendale a couple of weeks ago
we left all our friends in bendigo
had to come down here for work. we love here though but it would be good to make some new friends closer to our new home
so if theres going to be a meet up count us
Old Feb 2nd 2006, 11:53 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wendywoo
hi all
we moved to aspendale a couple of weeks ago
we left all our friends in bendigo
had to come down here for work. we love here though but it would be good to make some new friends closer to our new home
so if theres going to be a meet up count us
Hi, We are just up the road in Mentone so if you want to meet up let me know - there are a few of us around this area and perhaps we could arrange a meet at the Mentone Hotel (not the most salubrious of places but the only pub I know)

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Vanessa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.