Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Ex-Pats on the Gold Coast?

Any Ex-Pats on the Gold Coast?

Old Aug 18th 2004, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Re: Any Ex-Pats on the Gold Coast?

Originally Posted by pluma
Hi there debsy........How it going ?

Tomorrow's our last full day in the UK , then we're finally off to the Goldcoast via L.A. .....its only took 2 yrs , but who's complaining " not me"..!

all the best plum
Plum
Have a great jpourney. Keep in touch and I will see ya soon
Old Aug 18th 2004, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

dingdong is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gary

Me,My husband and 2 boys go out in January and will probably settle a bit more inland as the prices are cheaper. Pacific Pines-lovely and has a real community spirit thing going on and Helensvale is also really nice. They are about 20 mins from the coastal line, I know this because we were there looking around in March for a month. Would like to look as Robina a bit more but its canny pricey. All depends on how much hard cash you have I suppose.

We are renting a fully furnished 4 bedroom house for 6 weeks until our furniture arrives then going into a 6 month rental thing.

Dont know if you have kids (did you say??) but Helensvale High School has the Highest rate of prof sports men to come out of the school in th southern hemesphere.(apparently)

Hope this helps
Dingdong.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 10:15 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by debsy
Sharon,Slater,gazza222,Flowerofscotland - have you got any updates for us - are you still all on the Gold Coast?

Anyone else heading for the Gold Coast?

Hi Debsy,

Yes we are certainly still here with no inclination to move until the children leave home, maybe 12 years with a bit of luck. This is the best thing that we could have done, the children are again focused on their work and talking about uni. I have seen a good property on Mermaid Beach if you are looking to run a Motel with prospects. It would probably be too small an enterprise for you being 15 double, 9 twin share, with large 3 bed family unit. I can also see it as prime re-development opportunity in a few years down the line.
Are you still over in September? Have you benefited from the high interest rates where you are, if indeed you are still in the Med?

Regards Slater and family.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

I forgot who said they were looking for accommodation on the Coast.
This place gets excellent reviews.

http://www.ashmorepalms.com.au

It is in an industrial area in Ashmore but inside the "camp" is lovely. It has been featured on lots of TV shows and won lots of awards. I've never stayed there or been there myself though.

It is very close to Southport, just off the Southport-Nerang Rd. Possibly walking distance to a shopping centre called Ashmore City, and the catholic school Aquinas but not much else. Buses do go down that road through to Southport.

Can't think of anywhere else really. If you are going to splurge on a nice hotel, go for the Marriott. It even has it's own lagoon filled with tropical fish that you can swim in. Lovely.

Queenie
Old Aug 19th 2004, 12:13 am
Just Joined

SHOT IN THE FOOT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gazza22222
:PARTY: Hi Everyone,

Was wondering how many Brits there are living on the Gold Coast? We are moving out there in 3 weeks time on a 457 visa and will eventually be starting a minibus business.

We don't have a clue as yet where to initially stay when we arrive other than an expensive hotel, and where to eventually buy a house.

Any good areas and where's the bad ones?

Regards
Gary

Hi Gary
i lived for nine years on the Gold Coast. basicaly what do you want to know?
the best cheap suburbs are Helensvale, paradice point Gaven, pacific pines, and runaway bay, its a bit far ou from the centre but its right next door to Warner bross movie world, wet and wild and is abot 5 mins from Dream world (HOME of BIG BROTHER). in fact all the theme parks are up that way. (except for Sea World) Arundal and the more central areas are ok big houses, but mate youll pay for it in comparrason. Helensvale schools are good primary and secondry all ok has shopping centre and the like. Gaven is another area but stay toward pacific pines side or even pacific pines itself. look at renting on a six month lease it will cost you 2 weeks rent plus four weeks bond and you pay fortnightly. (LJ hookers) is good find there web page go to helensvale if they have nothing try (ray white). or even look at yellow pages on line. it does not matter were you go on the gold coast as it is all linked into the centre by a highway. Coolangatta is good as is tweed as it has the domestic airport there, and tweed is a bit like Devon, lots of hills type of comunity. can get cold too at night in winter, like i said i dont know whwt you require. but thats it in a nutshell.

for realy cheap accomadation try a caravan park as they do on sight challets and vans for about 150 a week depending how many of you. go for a high rated one though. busses are crap train is ok but does not go into the city out lying areas the taxis are fair but you have to wait for one to come out to you. (crap realy) whatch the areas you buy in and go at dusk to see it. one of the things every body forgets about when they emigrate and see this bloody briliant house that is worth a motza. going for bugger all. ask yourself why is it being sold? as I said go at dusk and stand around for about half hour, thats the time the mozzies come out and they can be a misery maker especialy when you want to sit out in the evening and have to burn citronella candles and spray yourself with mozzie repelant. which repels about 80 % of them.
as i said ask if you want to know. pm me. I now live in melbourn as we moved down this way a year and a bit ago for work.
good luck
Old Aug 19th 2004, 12:49 am
Just Joined

SHOT IN THE FOOT is an unknown quantity at this point

Plum
Have a great jpourney. Keep in touch and I will see ya soon
hi debsy
look i dont want to stick my big nose in your buisness and no doubt you have done your home work but be carefull of the management deals that are offerd on the gold coast they are not all they seem. there are even tv reports on the rip offs going on. they say that there are more sharks out side the water than there are in when it comes to the gold coast. as i said i'm not being nosy but be carfull.... please!!!!! get good legal advice as they run two books... most management portfolioes were bought by South Africans and NZ ers they all caught colds and are now desperatly trying to sell off to others. As i said, you have hopefully done your homework and no bad vibes are sent or implied. good luck, be carefull.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SHOT IN THE FOOT
hi debsy
look i dont want to stick my big nose in your buisness and no doubt you have done your home work but be carefull of the management deals that are offerd on the gold coast they are not all they seem. there are even tv reports on the rip offs going on. they say that there are more sharks out side the water than there are in when it comes to the gold coast. as i said i'm not being nosy but be carfull.... please!!!!! get good legal advice as they run two books... most management portfolioes were bought by South Africans and NZ ers they all caught colds and are now desperatly trying to sell off to others. As i said, you have hopefully done your homework and no bad vibes are sent or implied. good luck, be carefull.
Thanks Shot in the foot. We have checked out a lot of he stuff and we hope that we aware of the pitfalls. It is always nice to get more advice though and we will be extra wary when we get there. Thanks

Slater
Glad to hear that all is going well. We had to put our date back so that Husband could finish the tourit season here before the boss would let him go. We are now arriving on 5 October. Slater can you pm if you have any more details about that motel.

Thanks mate
see you soon
Old Aug 19th 2004, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Looks like there are (or soon will be) enough GC expats for a decent drinking session in the near future
Old Aug 19th 2004, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Trevglas
Looks like there are (or soon will be) enough GC expats for a decent drinking session in the near future
Yeh Trev- get organising mate

Looks like by end of Oct most of us will be there
Old Aug 19th 2004, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

Sharon,Slater,gazza222,Flowerofscotland - have you got any updates for us - are you still all on the Gold Coast?

Hi there

We are finally sorted out. We have brought a house in Bonogin, at the back of Mudgeeraba, set in 2 and a half acres of woodland and have been living here for 2 weeks now. Our furniture arrives in Brisbane on the 20th August so hopefully will be here at the house within the next 2 weeks.

Our animals ( 2 dogs and 2 cats) arrived safe and sound and none the worse for thier ordeal. If anyone wants to get in touch for a drink please email me and will give you our telephone number.

Look forward to hearing from you

Sharon and Keith
Old Aug 19th 2004, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pasquill
Hi there

We are finally sorted out. We have brought a house in Bonogin, at the back of Mudgeeraba, set in 2 and a half acres of woodland and have been living here for 2 weeks now. Our furniture arrives in Brisbane on the 20th August so hopefully will be here at the house within the next 2 weeks.

Our animals ( 2 dogs and 2 cats) arrived safe and sound and none the worse for thier ordeal. If anyone wants to get in touch for a drink please email me and will give you our telephone number.

Look forward to hearing from you

Sharon and Keith
Hiya Sharon
Glad to hear that you have got yourselves sorted out.

Will be arriving on GC first week in October.

See ya.
debs
Old Aug 29th 2004, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

gazza22222 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Any Ex-Pats on the Gold Coast?

Hi Debsy

Sorry I have not been active on the web for a while. Anyway we moved to the Gold Coast on 13 May. We stopped in a hotel in Surfers Paradise for a week and two hotels in Broadbeach for another three weeks. We were out most days looking at areas to settle and rental properties to rent. We eventually found a beautiful house to rent in Hope Island Resort to the north of CBD near Sanctuary Cove. We are still in the process of setting up our minibus, people carriers and tours business. We have just had our offer accepted for a 4 bed house in Arundel Hills, so we will move into our own house the first week in December. Our 14 yr old daughter is settling in well at Helensvale H.S.

The Gold Coast has met all our expectations so far and is a lovely place of the world to live. No doubt you can't wait to get over here yourself. If you need an airport transfer then give me a call, I presently have a 7 seater Chrysler Voyager (no trailer yet though).

Both Jean and I are looking forward to setting up an ex-pats meeting when you arrive so keep in contact with everyone if you can. My direct e-mail address is: [email protected]

Cheers for now

Gary
Old Aug 29th 2004, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Trevglas
Hi Trev

Sorry I have not been active on the web for a while. Anyway we moved to the Gold Coast on 13 May. We stopped in a hotel in Surfers Paradise for a week and two hotels in Broadbeach for another three weeks. We were out most days looking at areas to settle and rental properties to rent. We eventually found a beautiful house to rent in Hope Island Resort to the north of CBD near Sanctuary Cove. We are still in the process of setting up our minibus, people carriers and tours business. We have just had our offer accepted for a 4 bed house in Arundel Hills, so we will move into our own house the first week in December. Our 14 yr old daughter is settling in well at Helensvale H.S.

The Gold Coast has met all our expectations so far and is a lovely place of the world to live. Both my wife and I are looking forward to setting up an ex-pats meeting when Debsy arrives so keep in contact with everyone if you can. My direct e-mail address is: [email protected]

Cheers for now

Gary
Old Aug 29th 2004, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pluma
Hi there debsy........How it going ?

Tomorrow's our last full day in the UK , then we're finally off to the Goldcoast via L.A. .....its only took 2 yrs , but who's complaining " not me"..!

all the best plum
Hi Pluma

We moved over in May 04. Drop me an e-mail when you arrive and we will meet up with you for a beer and a chat. My e-mail address is: [email protected]

Hope you settle in ok. Any advise you need don't hesitate to ask.

Regards

Gary
Old Aug 29th 2004, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

audrey is an unknown quantity at this point

hi we have been in adelaide since september 2003.we are moving up to the gold coast on september the 17th.we came to the goldcoast a few weeks ago to have a look round. we looked at robina and pacific pines.we have just sold our house in adelaide.and just wish we had moved to the goldcoast when we first arrived.i feel more scared about the move to brisbane than the move from england to adelaide.would love to meet up when we arrive.we are staying in cleveland for 2 weeks.till we find a rental .we have 4 children chris is a sparky.but needs to do a trades test to get his lisence?any info on pacific pines would be great.we did look at the school at pacific pines and it seemed nice.look forward to meeting you audrey chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.