Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Ex-Pats on the Gold Coast?

Any Ex-Pats on the Gold Coast?

Old Mar 2nd 2004, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Hi debsy,

All moved in and sort of settled. We moved in a week ago (friday), but come saturday and time to unpack boxes it hit 41 degC and 85+% humidity, so we spent the weekend in the pool.

Sunday comes, and the wife says "I wonder what we do about topping up the water level" (water restrictions in place on the gold coast at the moment). Anyway, the next day, we were hit by a storm, both the front and back gardens flooded, water flowing like a river past the side door, and we began to worry about the house flooding!.

Luckily it didnt, but the pool was full to the gunnels, so that answered the wifes question!

Finally it cooled down enough for us to tackle unpacking the boxes, so we are almost there. Just waiting for Telstra to pull their fingers out and reconnect my ADSL so I can work

Trev
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Trev, are you renting? how easy is it to rent without jobs, this is my main concern as I have 2 kids and want to at least make sure we get a decent roof over our head, how long do u think i should stay in a hotel before getting rented property, we were thinking a week and hopefully we would find something by then, do you think thats a bit quick, i don't want to waste lots of money on hotel bills, same with car hire, how long do we hire a car, is a week too short. We want to buy something asap when we arrive. We are going to stay in surfers and travel around the close suburbs from there, and hopefully find somewhere nice to settle, i have to think about schools as my eldest is 6.

it would be great to hear of any tips

Thanks

Lisa
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hi Trev
Nice to hear that you are settling in Ok - apart from the floods!!

Lisa - Not long now eh! Where are you staying in Surfers?
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 12:21 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by lesleys
Hi all,

We're heading for Mount Tamborine - the green behind the gold" - on retirement visas. We stayed near Nerang last year - very quiet but close enough to get at everything easily. We hope to make another visit soon before we make the big move in the summer. Ca't wait.

Lesley
Hi, We're from se england, we stayed 2 months in Nerang but it must have been a different Nerang, this one certainly was not quiet, the amount of hoons burning out their tyres on a friday and saturday night, along with people shooting guns off in the middle of the night, couples arguing in the street, this was the nice part of town, it's no wonder the people outside Nerang call them NERANGATANGS!!!!!

Slater
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 12:30 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Originally posted by debsy
Hi Trev

Old Mar 2nd 2004, 12:36 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Hi Trev

Hi Debsey,

It's been a few months but we are back on line, having bought a place out here and enrolled the children into school we are now a bit more organised. We are on the Gold Coast about 10 minites from Broadbeach. Anything you want to know, we'll do our best to help. That goes for anyone coming into this area.

Regards

Slater, Sym & chizeroos
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hiya Slater

Nice to see you back on line. I was wondering how you were getting on. Keep us updated with all your news. We came to the Gold Coast in Jan/Feb to validate and we are returning there in September.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Slater
Hi, We're from se england, we stayed 2 months in Nerang but it must have been a different Nerang, this one certainly was not quiet, the amount of hoons burning out their tyres on a friday and saturday night, along with people shooting guns off in the middle of the night, couples arguing in the street, this was the nice part of town, it's no wonder the people outside Nerang call them NERANGATANGS!!!!!

Slater
Point taken!!!! Can't say we ever stopped there. We were about 10km down the road.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Slater
Hows it going? We will be back in September. How are the kids getting on?
Old Mar 8th 2004, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been there before? I have only been to the Sanctuary and Bee Centre at Currumbin. It looked a nice place though.
Hi Debsy

We spent 3 weeks there over Xmas and New Year and loved the valleys. Now I have my visa granted we are looking at property in Tallabudgera Valley.

Sharon
Old Mar 8th 2004, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Hiya Sharon

Congrats with the visa. Look forward to meeting you sometime.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 11:49 am
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater
Hows it going? We will be back in September. How are the kids getting on?
Hi Debsey,

It was all very exiting to start with, we arrived on the 6th November with the 4 children thinking that it was to be all boats, beach and fun in the sun, however they had a bit of a shock as we were spending so much time looking at schools, houses, business's etc. When we found what we beleive is the best school for us, we then had to find a suitable house within 10 - 15 minutes drive of the school. After that we were able to relax a bit, but no matter how we occupied them, the children were getting a bit bored, they had been out of school since the 19th October half term in England. We finally moved into our house on the 14th January, nice place when we finish the renovations and get a pool installed. The children started their new school on the 28th Jan, after over a 3 month interval, which is too long, I'll tell you another day the problems we have had with the local wildlife, we live on acreage, not quite the Bush but it's wild.

How about you, are you still coming out later this year, and have you definately decided on Broadbeach?
Early start tommorow, talk to you later.

Slater
Old Mar 8th 2004, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Hiya Slater

Seems like ages ago when we were waiting for our bond requests

Glad to hear that you are settling in ok. We are buying a busines with a home attached but it might no necessarily be in Broadbeach but that is the area that we like. Whereabouts have you settled?
Old Aug 17th 2004, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: Any Ex-Pats on the Gold Coast?

Sharon,Slater,gazza222,Flowerofscotland - have you got any updates for us - are you still all on the Gold Coast?

Anyone else heading for the Gold Coast?
Old Aug 17th 2004, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

pluma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Ex-Pats on the Gold Coast?

Hi there debsy........How it going ?

Tomorrow's our last full day in the UK , then we're finally off to the Goldcoast via L.A. .....its only took 2 yrs , but who's complaining " not me"..!

all the best plum

Last edited by pluma; Aug 17th 2004 at 9:24 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.