Reload this Page >

Any Ex-Pats on the Gold Coast?

Any Ex-Pats on the Gold Coast?

Old Feb 28th 2004, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

gazza22222 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Ex-Pats on the Gold Coast?

:PARTY: Hi Everyone,

Was wondering how many Brits there are living on the Gold Coast? We are moving out there in 3 weeks time on a 457 visa and will eventually be starting a minibus business.

We don't have a clue as yet where to initially stay when we arrive other than an expensive hotel, and where to eventually buy a house.

Any good areas and where's the bad ones?

Regards
Gary

Old Feb 28th 2004, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Re: Any Ex-Pats on the Gold Coast?

Originally posted by gazza22222

Was wondering how many Brits there are living on the Gold Coast? We are moving out there in 3 weeks time on a 457 visa and will eventually be starting a minibus business.

We don't have a clue as yet where to initially stay when we arrive other than an expensive hotel, and where to eventually buy a house.

Regards
Gary

Hiya Gary

Have you been there before? There are plenty of places to stay. How many of there are you?

We are also off to the Gold Coast.

debs
Old Feb 28th 2004, 12:04 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gazza, Trevglas is down on the Gold Coast, Im not sure if hes on very much at the moment though, as he has just bought a house & his sons are due over from the UK for a visit.

Sorry I cant help much with your enquiry, I actually know very little about suburbs/areas down there.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hi again

Me the wife and the teenager daughter are emigrating there.

We went to OZ for a holiday in 2001 and unfortunatly only spent 3 days at the Gold Coast, however I have learnt lots from the net since then whilst putting the business plan together.

We are looking forward to the challange again in life considering we are both over 45. Must be mad?

Regards
Gary

Old Feb 28th 2004, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hi again

Me the wife and the teenager daughter are emigrating there.

We went to OZ for a holiday in 2001 and unfortunatly only spent 3 days at the Gold Coast, however I have learnt lots from the net since then whilst putting the business plan together.

We are looking forward to the challange again in life considering we are both over 45. Must be mad?

Regards
Gary

Gary

dont worry - we are all mad!! we stayed at the Sunset Island Resort which is near Surfers and is pretty central for the gold coast. They had two bedroom apartments. http://www.sunsetisland.com.au/
ask them what their standby rates are.

Another place to try is Karana Palms http://www.users.bigpond.com/karanapalms/index.html
we also stayed here and really loved it. It is on Chevron Island and is within easy walking distance to Surfers and all buses etc. This is a lot cheaper than sunset island as it is only one bedroom. If you daughter can stand sleeping on the Sofa bed - this would be a great place for you to stay.

Both of these places have everything you will need including all washing and cooking facilities.

Any other questions you can PM me or email me if you want.

regards
Debs
Old Feb 28th 2004, 12:57 pm
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gazza,

We're also heading towards Gold coast , at meds stage at the moment.
Why minibus business? do you have previous experience in this.
Anyway wish you well !

plum
Old Feb 28th 2004, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Plumber
Whereabouts are you going to settle? We are hoping for Broadbeach, Burleigh area.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by plumber
Hi Gazza,

We're also heading towards Gold coast , at meds stage at the moment.
Why minibus business? do you have previous experience in this.
Anyway wish you well !

plum

Hi Plumber

Thanks and yes we have, we operate the same type of business here in the UK. It was all part of the emigration process, i.e, we had to convince DIMIA that we were going into something we new about in order to stand a better chance of getting the visa.

The 457 temporary visa is for people who fancy starting
(or buying) a business.

When do you think you will be going and what will you be doing out there?
Old Feb 28th 2004, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Any Ex-Pats on the Gold Coast?

Regards
Gary

Hi gazza

I'm also heading to the Gold Coast in a few weeks time, we haven't got accommodation yet either, everything seems quite pricey. Although we have found really cheap flights with Royal Bruni £1400.00 for 4 of us. We are hoping to be near Southport as I am going to college their, looking to stay in Arundel, Ashmore, Labrador or Robina. Rentals here are pretty reasonable as they are a little inland but still only minutes from the beaches and between 5 and 15 minutes from surfers.

Good luck with the new business if i need a mini bus i'll know who to contact.

Old Feb 28th 2004, 5:23 pm
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

We'll try and fly out there around Aug time , hoping to start up my own plumbing business (may need to do a couple of add on courses) before i can acquire licence.

We plan on renting for 12mths , get to know the area before buying also get the business up and running( feel better with money coming in before too much going out)

We've been looking at southport , that kind of area .

Deb's you must be taking a fair wack with you to afford Broad beach area!

Though must admit liked it around there when on holiday last year! (liked the buzz)

all the best plum
Old Feb 28th 2004, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Plum
We are going to live in Broadbeach if possible as we are buying a business called management rights. Basically, it is a type of apartment business and you buy the business and the right to manage the apartments. You and Gazza will both be useful for us when we get there as we may need plumbers and we will need transport to and from airport etc for the guests!!!

Well' lets all keep in touch as we will all be there soon. Flower' good luck. Are you going to be studying at the Tafe in Southport?

Our kuds loved the Park at Southport opposite the Australia Fair. Maybe we can have our picnics there
Old Feb 28th 2004, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

We're heading for Mount Tamborine - the green behind the gold" - on retirement visas. We stayed near Nerang last year - very quiet but close enough to get at everything easily. We hope to make another visit soon before we make the big move in the summer. Ca't wait.

Lesley
Old Feb 28th 2004, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Lesleys

There are quite a few now for this area. Keep us updated.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

Originally posted by debsy
Hi Lesleys

There are quite a few now for this area. Keep us updated.
we are just south of the gold coast, currently tweed heads, murwillumbah in six weeks (15 mins inland along the tweed) been here 5 months, enjoying every minute (almost!)
surfers and all that is a bit busy for us! (we are both over 45 - me just!) never too late!!!

plumber, good luck getting your licence, bring plenty of evidence from the uk regarding the work you have done, books etc. for trade recognition. we met an electrician from birmingham who'd been self employed for years, it took him 12 months to get his licence and was fairly expensive, they kept moving the goal posts.

look forward to meeting you all soon.
kar
Old Feb 29th 2004, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Hi Gazza,

I am on the Gold Coast, in Helensvale (just up by Movieworld and Wet'n'Wild. Been up here in QLD for 6 months now (and in Oz for 2 yrs)

Bad areas? depends what you like, Surfers is Blackpool on speed AND steroids, not my cup of tea but obviously some people like it.

Helensvale, Oxenford, Coomera are all pretty reasonable, although maybe 30 min form the sea, but very convenient for the motorway up to Brisbane. The train service from the Gold Coast to brisbane is also pretty good.

Some very expensive suburbs (basically anything near water = expensive, and this includes the canals). If you want to go out a bit, Ormeau and Beenleigh are pretty cheap I believe (although I guess technically these places are just outside gold coast.

Nerang has some cheap houses, and is pretty close to surfers etc.

Tambourine is really nice, but you need a decent car to go up and down that hill on a daily basis, and I believe the houses up there are reasonably priced.

I couldnt help you on a cheap place to stay, since we stayed with rellies here, but again, get away from Surfers you can find plenty of cheap and cheerful motels (basic, but cheap). Surfers itself is absolutely full of hotels, best thing to do is check out places on the net. Try http://www.reflections.com.au/GoldCo...els/index.html for starters

As Mrs Dagboy said earlier, I have just moved house and am not on much at the moment, (just waiting for Telstra to pull their finger out and get my ADSL working agin). Drop us a line (PM) if you want any other info

Trev

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.