Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Ex-British Squaddies out there, who have transferred to the Aussie Army?

Any Ex-British Squaddies out there, who have transferred to the Aussie Army?

Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

cantwaittobethere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Ex-British Squaddies out there, who have transferred to the Aussie Army?

Hi all,

This is my first posting on this excellent forum (creep, creep!!!) Myself and my hubby are willing away the years, until he finishes in the British Army at the end of 2011. Yes I know, it might be years away, but I wish it could be tomorrow. We came over last year and did the touristy trip to Sydney and Port Douglas and it confirmed our huge wish to get out of blighty and get over there as soon as we can!

Hubby has spoken to some other squaddies who have transferred to the Aussie Army but info is rather vague (sorry to all you guys out there, but he just doesn't 'grill' these people enough!!!). So would be grateful if there are any of you using this forum who could give us some pointers. How soon get we start hassling the Aussie Army?!!! I'm desperate to get out of this country as you can tell.

As a back up, I'm doing my Access to Health course this year and will hopefully get into Uni for next year to start my three year nursing course.

From other threads, it seems a good idea to rent our house out in the UK, as especially if we get in through the army we will get married quarters.

To all of you who are out there and have been through the long process of getting there, good luck. To those of you who wonder if you've done the right thing and miss Blighty, you are mad! House prices are still going through the roof, more and more immigrants are flooding in everyday and disappearing into the woodwork and it's so not safe over here anymore! We are getting so much like the USA, with more stabbings and shootings becoming a regular thing now. I'm not saying some of these things don't happen over in Aussie but at least your news over there is not filled with it and all the stuff happening in Iraq and Afghan.

We want get to out and be able to have the chance of a better life not only for us but for our four year old son as well.

Go on then, tell me I have rose tinted glasses

Any hints much appreciated. Thanks guys
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Ex-British Squaddies out there, who have transferred to the Aussie Army?

Originally Posted by cantwaittobethere
Hi all,

This is my first posting on this excellent forum (creep, creep!!!) Myself and my hubby are willing away the years, until he finishes in the British Army at the end of 2011. Yes I know, it might be years away, but I wish it could be tomorrow. We came over last year and did the touristy trip to Sydney and Port Douglas and it confirmed our huge wish to get out of blighty and get over there as soon as we can!

Hubby has spoken to some other squaddies who have transferred to the Aussie Army but info is rather vague (sorry to all you guys out there, but he just doesn't 'grill' these people enough!!!). So would be grateful if there are any of you using this forum who could give us some pointers. How soon get we start hassling the Aussie Army?!!! I'm desperate to get out of this country as you can tell.

As a back up, I'm doing my Access to Health course this year and will hopefully get into Uni for next year to start my three year nursing course.

From other threads, it seems a good idea to rent our house out in the UK, as especially if we get in through the army we will get married quarters.

To all of you who are out there and have been through the long process of getting there, good luck. To those of you who wonder if you've done the right thing and miss Blighty, you are mad! House prices are still going through the roof, more and more immigrants are flooding in everyday and disappearing into the woodwork and it's so not safe over here anymore! We are getting so much like the USA, with more stabbings and shootings becoming a regular thing now. I'm not saying some of these things don't happen over in Aussie but at least your news over there is not filled with it and all the stuff happening in Iraq and Afghan.

We want get to out and be able to have the chance of a better life not only for us but for our four year old son as well.

Hi welcome to BE
My hubby is too biding his time we are aiming to be in oz in 2009.
My hubby is just starting to get a letter ready to send to oz house.
We have not long got back from a visit to NSW and VIC. We loved it too
There are a few of us on the forum but most prefer to give some info via personal messages.
I have got some website links you may be interested in to help in your research and i could give you some contacts for expats who are in the ozzie army. But would rather give peoples details out in a pm
On average it seems to take up to 2 years for all things to be done and dusted. Although a collegue of my husband has managed it in 12 months.
Good luck
Mandy

Last edited by geordie mandy; Nov 6th 2006 at 5:11 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 7:05 pm
Now a Citizen!

seaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to all
Default Re: Any Ex-British Squaddies out there, who have transferred to the Aussie Army?

Hi all,

We are going through the process of transfer at the moment so if you need to know anything specific let me know. It is a fairly easy process to do but there are lots of forms to fill in and lots of medicals for your husband to do.

Having said that, the ADF are very helpful and do a lot of work themselves.

Cannot comment on quarters or anything but if we get there, will let you know what they are like. People have said they are a lot better than the quarters over here! We are selling our house as it would be more aggravation renting it out as it is an old property.

As I say feel free to ask any questions, no matter how small or silly! You can either post on here or send me a PM

Good luck anyway!!
Old Nov 7th 2006, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I'm going over with army in 2007, cannot wait! The whole process has been hard work at times - LOADS of paperwork - but the ADF have been great and everyone I'm speaking to now to organise our travel etc is being brilliant, really friendly and helpful.
It probably takes about 2 years from application to arrival, but can take longer - it depends how efficient everyone is. Might not be worth applying yet for 2011, but no reason you shouldn't contact them and make some enquiries. We aren't quite there yet but once we are will be happy to share info!

PS sea-angel I know you from ********! I have different name on here tho - will PM you later on and reveal my identity !
Old Nov 7th 2006, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh, interesting, I can't mention the website for people who may be known as 'poms' who are going to be 'in' a place sometimes referred to as 'oz'....
Old Nov 7th 2006, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

Hi

We are in the process of transferring. My husband is going over to the Australian Navy. He still has jus under 7 years to go in the marines here but we are taking the chance now whilst the kids are young to make a new start. Hope your plans all come together.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

We arrived in September, our app took 2.5 years from first email to moving here. This has been trimmed down to about a year now. I'd say start the ball rolling about 2 years out, this will give you time to sell the house, move the furniture etc.
There's loads coming over now - apparently 600 next year

Up here there must be at least 100 pom retreads - you won't be alone!
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Dave_Asher is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by njk435
We arrived in September, our app took 2.5 years from first email to moving here. This has been trimmed down to about a year now. I'd say start the ball rolling about 2 years out, this will give you time to sell the house, move the furniture etc.
There's loads coming over now - apparently 600 next year

Up here there must be at least 100 pom retreads - you won't be alone!
Hi Nige,

Have just PM'd you with a few questions if I may.

Thanks

Dave