Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Engineers going to Brisbane?

Any Engineers going to Brisbane?

Old Jul 19th 2005, 7:31 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Engineers going to Brisbane?

Hi

Hubbie Marc asked me to ask on here if there are any other Engineers moving to Brisbane - he is a Senior Design Engineer for a large bus manufacturer in UK - we fly 31st of October so he's really started the big job hunt - early days yet but from 1st lot of companies e-mailed with CV and cover letter not much response.

He has been applying for jobs on www.seek.com.au and www.careerone.com.au

What surprised me the most was that he also e-mailed a couple of recruitment companies like Hays and they didn't even e-mail back!

We have checked his CV out and its fine - my mum is excellent at grammar and spelling and has revamped it all so don't think its that unless the Australians do CV's very differently to the UK?

He is looking for any sort of design work including 3D modelling and CAD - he can pretty much model up anything to meet specification.

Anyone got any suggestions where he could go next?

Lynn
Old Jul 19th 2005, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

CheekyWeetus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any Engineers going to Brisbane?

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Hi

Hubbie Marc asked me to ask on here if there are any other Engineers moving to Brisbane - he is a Senior Design Engineer for a large bus manufacturer in UK - we fly 31st of October so he's really started the big job hunt - early days yet but from 1st lot of companies e-mailed with CV and cover letter not much response.

What surprised me the most was that he also e-mailed a couple of recruitment companies like Hays and they didn't even e-mail back!

We have checked his CV out and its fine - my mum is excellent at grammar and spelling and has revamped it all so don't think its that unless the Australians do CV's very differently to the UK?

He is looking for any sort of design work including 3D modelling and CAD - he can pretty much model up anything to meet specification.

Lynn
I am a Naval Architect (have an engineering degree) and we are moving to Brisbane in November. I have applied to several places and unfortunately have one phone response so far, and that was for a different position in Singapore... (Ummm, no please, Brisbane thanks!).

Dont get disheartened, I have a lot of engineering mates all over Australia and they all say the same thing, there is a lot of work around the place and there shouldnt be a problem.

I dont know if it is me or Australia that has changed since I left (8 years ago) but I think it is incredibly rude to not even acknowledge an application, International or otherwise.

End of the day I would rather be surfing anyway
Old Jul 19th 2005, 8:41 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi

Lynn

Hiya Lyn,

it seams that most of the engineering jobs are around Mel.

The lack of replies may well be because you are not in Oz and they think you are chancing it.
I'm also looking for a job in engineering and it makes me think that it may be hard or may have to get a job doing something else.

I hope it gets better, it's not going to give you a warm feeling about the place otherwise.

Bye
Mark
Old Jul 19th 2005, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

Hi

Lynn

There is a shortage of good design people in Mining/O&G.
It may be best to change industries.
Is your husband degree qualified?
What discipline is his qualification in?
Old Jul 19th 2005, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by markeh
Hiya Lyn,

it seams that most of the engineering jobs are around Mel.

The lack of replies may well be because you are not in Oz and they think you are chancing it.
I'm also looking for a job in engineering and it makes me think that it may be hard or may have to get a job doing something else.

I hope it gets better, it's not going to give you a warm feeling about the place otherwise.

Bye
Mark
Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth are engineering centres.
There is currently a shortage in all disciplines.
What experience/quals do you have?
Old Jul 19th 2005, 9:45 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

There are loads of engineering jobs up here, loads of mining etc....hubby is always wingin there isnt enough staff.

Aussie firms are not that great at replying to job applications....especially when u have not yet left the UK

Good Luck
Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:25 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
There are loads of engineering jobs up here, loads of mining etc....hubby is always wingin there isnt enough staff.

Aussie firms are not that great at replying to job applications....especially when u have not yet left the UK

Good Luck
try the registering on hays executive section - I get job adverts for engineers (senior ones) couldnt' tell you if its designing oil rigs or toffee bars but they pay about 100k

Mining / Building etc is huge here , Comalco is one of the huge mining/oil companies their HQ is in Brissie, there are gazillions of smaller companies supporting them.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 1:47 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

I work in electronics engineering. I also sent loads of CVs and emails to recruitment companies and engineering firms and had no respose.
I was feeling at a loss too, but once I got here I had a job within 3 weeks.
It seems folk dont want to pay any attention to people sending CVs from overseas because until you're actually here, they cant seriously think about employing you.
And chances are once you get interviewed they will want you to start in a couple of weeks anyway.

There is work here in Brisbane - for sure. But dont expect to get offered a job while you're in the UK. Sure it happens for some, but not many.

I can recommend the recruitment company I went through - www.techstaff.com.au. They were very helpful and got me my first interviews and job.

Best of luck,

W.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 3:31 am
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

I'm based on the Sunshine Coast and currently looking for CAD work. There doesn't seem to be anything up here but looking at mycareer.com etc. there's loads of CAD jobs in Brisbane. I've got both 2D and 3D experience and I'm considering looking to Brissie for work which unfortuantely means a round trip of about 3hrs daily :scared:
Old Jul 20th 2005, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Boilerman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Lynn

Lynn,

I've been here about 3 months on secondment from the UK. I'm an Executive Engineer for the energy division of one of Australia's largest Engineering Consultancies - everything from transport to power stations (a clue to my background is in my handle!). We have offices here in Brisbane, Mackay, Sydney, Melbourne and all number of backwaters. We always look out for good engineers of all grades and backgrounds. Although we tend not to advertise we generally respond well to well written but unsolicited letters and CVs.

PM or email me a bit more of your hubby's background and I'll find a recipient for it. We can interview in the UK as our sister company (my employer) is based there.

3D modelling is a growing market for us so you never know. My office has increased in employees from 100 to 400 in 2 years and we're still looking for more. We are also desperately short of mechanical drafting skills (we have plenty of electrical drafters).

As far as CVs are concerned there are very strong age discrimination laws here and you don't need to put your date of birth on if you think it would work against him.

Also, keep it achievment based.

Make sure you make it clear that you have a visa and are coming out on XXX. Most employers get scared of being trapped into sponsorship so make it clear this isn't a potential problem.

Good luck.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by CheekyWeetus
I am a Naval Architect (have an engineering degree) and we are moving to Brisbane in November. I have applied to several places and unfortunately have one phone response so far, and that was for a different position in Singapore... (Ummm, no please, Brisbane thanks!).

Dont get disheartened, I have a lot of engineering mates all over Australia and they all say the same thing, there is a lot of work around the place and there shouldnt be a problem.

I dont know if it is me or Australia that has changed since I left (8 years ago) but I think it is incredibly rude to not even acknowledge an application, International or otherwise.

End of the day I would rather be surfing anyway
Hi Thanks for your reply - its good to know he's not alone! Marc is at work just now but he is gonna come on and post later on as i've told him about all the replies of people in a similar position.

Good luck and also don't get disheartened - i've seen quite a few jobs on GC looking for Design Engineers for catamarans and they often mention that a degree in Naval architecture would be beneficial.

Lynn
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Quokka
There is a shortage of good design people in Mining/O&G.
It may be best to change industries.
Is your husband degree qualified?
What discipline is his qualification in?
Yes he dosen't particularly want to stay in the automotive industry, infact he would enjoy a change and he's mentioned Mining/ O&G and more general mechanical design!

He has an Honours degree in Manufacturing Systems Engineering with an Electronics component so that covers design work in almost everything other than civil engineering I think.

Lynn

Last edited by lynnlovessun; Jul 20th 2005 at 9:02 am.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by spalen
try the registering on hays executive section - I get job adverts for engineers (senior ones) couldnt' tell you if its designing oil rigs or toffee bars but they pay about 100k

Mining / Building etc is huge here , Comalco is one of the huge mining/oil companies their HQ is in Brissie, there are gazillions of smaller companies supporting them.
Thanks for your advice and info - I will have him registering later on if they pay that much

Sometimes I think they see his CV and that he has worked with the same company since graduating (in bus design and manufacturing) and think he can't turn his skills to designing anything else. If they gave him a chance at interview they would then find out that for a 26 year old he has been instrumental in the company and designed one of their top vehicles from scratch. He also jumped from Junior design engineer to Senior Design Engineer within only a couple of years (missing out the design Engineer stage).

His degree allows him to work in many different fields so fingers crossed - may be the case that he will have to job hunt on arrival but ideally we were hoping to have a job set up for arrival for more security as our savings will be fairly limited!

Lynn
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Wanderlust
Hi,

I work in electronics engineering. I also sent loads of CVs and emails to recruitment companies and engineering firms and had no respose.
I was feeling at a loss too, but once I got here I had a job within 3 weeks.
It seems folk dont want to pay any attention to people sending CVs from overseas because until you're actually here, they cant seriously think about employing you.
And chances are once you get interviewed they will want you to start in a couple of weeks anyway.

There is work here in Brisbane - for sure. But dont expect to get offered a job while you're in the UK. Sure it happens for some, but not many.

I can recommend the recruitment company I went through - www.techstaff.com.au. They were very helpful and got me my first interviews and job.

Best of luck,

W.
Cheers for the recommendation on recruitment company!

Again its reasurring to speak to someone else who was in the same position!

Lynn
Old Jul 20th 2005, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Boilerman
Lynn,

I've been here about 3 months on secondment from the UK. I'm an Executive Engineer for the energy division of one of Australia's largest Engineering Consultancies - everything from transport to power stations (a clue to my background is in my handle!). We have offices here in Brisbane, Mackay, Sydney, Melbourne and all number of backwaters. We always look out for good engineers of all grades and backgrounds. Although we tend not to advertise we generally respond well to well written but unsolicited letters and CVs.

PM or email me a bit more of your hubby's background and I'll find a recipient for it. We can interview in the UK as our sister company (my employer) is based there.

3D modelling is a growing market for us so you never know. My office has increased in employees from 100 to 400 in 2 years and we're still looking for more. We are also desperately short of mechanical drafting skills (we have plenty of electrical drafters).

As far as CVs are concerned there are very strong age discrimination laws here and you don't need to put your date of birth on if you think it would work against him.

Also, keep it achievment based.

Make sure you make it clear that you have a visa and are coming out on XXX. Most employers get scared of being trapped into sponsorship so make it clear this isn't a potential problem.

Good luck.
Thank you very much for your reply - have let Marc know and he will e-mail you later on tonight when he is home from work.

Thanks again,

Lynn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.