Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any doctors applying on a 422 visa?

Any doctors applying on a 422 visa?

Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

trixie is just really nicetrixie is just really nicetrixie is just really nicetrixie is just really nicetrixie is just really nicetrixie is just really nicetrixie is just really nicetrixie is just really nice
Default Any doctors applying on a 422 visa?

I'm a GP currently awaiting my 422 visa to be approved. I've been sponsored by a practice in Kareela, south of Sydney. Wondered if there were any other doctors who applied via this route and how it went. Was also wondering how to apply for PR status after that. Would be good to chat to other docs and see what their experiences were like.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all
Default Re: Any doctors applying on a 422 visa?

Originally Posted by trixie
I'm a GP currently awaiting my 422 visa to be approved. I've been sponsored by a practice in Kareela, south of Sydney. Wondered if there were any other doctors who applied via this route and how it went. Was also wondering how to apply for PR status after that. Would be good to chat to other docs and see what their experiences were like.
I am doing exactly the same as you (but going to a practice near Perth). The nurses have their own forum- should we ask for one as well?

No help to you I'm afraid as I'm still waiting for my CCT before I can do anything at the moment, my main concern is that our cats get there at the same time as us!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

naomif is on a distinguished road

Hiya,

I'm an SHO applying on a 457 visa for a job in Brisbane. Anyone out there had any experience with this?

Naomi
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

trixie is just really nicetrixie is just really nicetrixie is just really nicetrixie is just really nicetrixie is just really nicetrixie is just really nicetrixie is just really nicetrixie is just really nice

I'd also be interested to hear what general practice is like in Australia.....and the patients!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dpande
I am doing exactly the same as you (but going to a practice near Perth). The nurses have their own forum- should we ask for one as well?

No help to you I'm afraid as I'm still waiting for my CCT before I can do anything at the moment, my main concern is that our cats get there at the same time as us!
I think it's a great idea we ask for our own forum.....how do we do that? When are you hoping to start your job down under?
Old Feb 14th 2008, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all

There's a 'working abroad by profession' forum but I don't know how to get someone to create a sub-forum from this- I suppose we could hope a passing mod sees this thread?
Old Feb 14th 2008, 5:38 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

There's 'site feedback' on the main page.
Stick a post on there with your request
Old Feb 14th 2008, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

michael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud ofmichael_w has much to be proud of

I'm the editor of a GP e-newspaper in Australia called 6minutes.com.au - If you want to find out about general practice in Australia I could put you on the subscription list for our daily pdf newsletter - we have quite a few ongoing conversations between GPs running in the comments section.

PM me with email details to subscibe - or check out the website first.

Michael
Old Feb 15th 2008, 12:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trixie
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/medic...ns-doctors.htm

If you are trained in the United Kingdom are you sure you are not eligible for permanent residence straight away?
Old Feb 15th 2008, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/medic...ns-doctors.htm

If you are trained in the United Kingdom are you sure you are not eligible for permanent residence straight away?
UK GPs can get PR straight away, on a 175 visa I think, but the processing times are 6-8 weeks for a 422 and 12-18 months for 175. Most of us would like the security of a job to go to before we leave the UK, but I guess you could apply for PR then apply for a job after it's approved. My future employer has told me that if you have a contract >3yrs you can get employer sponsorship for PR which takes 3-9 months to come through so this would still be a quicker option than applying for PR from the outset.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 8:50 am
Just Joined

UK GPs can get PR straight away, on a 175 visa I think, but the processing times are 6-8 weeks for a 422 and 12-18 months for 175. Most of us would like the security of a job to go to before we leave the UK, but I guess you could apply for PR then apply for a job after it's approved. My future employer has told me that if you have a contract >3yrs you can get employer sponsorship for PR which takes 3-9 months to come through so this would still be a quicker option than applying for PR from the outset.
Yes,that's right. I'm going on a 422 visa (currently being processed in Sydney) with a waiting time of 4-6 weeks. Once there, I can apply for PR via the Employer nominated scheme which can take 6-9 months.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Link on surgical training schemes etc in Oz:

http://careerfocus.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/336/7640/60
Old Feb 15th 2008, 11:49 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

UK GPs can get PR straight away, on a 175 visa I think, but the processing times are 6-8 weeks for a 422 and 12-18 months for 175. Most of us would like the security of a job to go to before we leave the UK, but I guess you could apply for PR then apply for a job after it's approved.
The 457 visa restrictions also apply to the 422:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/457_Visa_Restrictions