Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any constructive advice?...

Any constructive advice?...

Old Nov 14th 2011, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

che2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really niceche2318 is just really nice
Default Any constructive advice?...

Job - accepted - $67,000 per annum.
Visa - granted.
Partners visa - processing.
Healthcare - sorted.
Due to arrive in Oz - Oct 2012

Baby - due in Feb 2012

Now I have been told that in my new job in Australia I may sometimes be working away from home for 2 weeks at a time( 2 weeks on 2 weeks off ).......Not sure if my partner will be keen on being home alone for 2 weeks at a time with the little one.

Could throw a spanner in the whole thing.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any constructive advice?...

What do you mean by constructive advice? Do you just want people to tell you certain things and if so what is it you want to hear?

Anyway here is what I consider to be constructive advice ... ask her what she thinks. If she doesn't like the sound of the situation then don't do it. Mum-to-be and baby come first here I think.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:53 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting a strange sense of deja vu.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:40 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

Anyway here is what I consider to be constructive advice ... ask her what she thinks.

She may be ok with it, but I don't think I'd want to be left alone with a new baby, in a new country, with no family and friends around.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

-Marie- is on a distinguished road

but on the other hand if mummy 2 be is a strong and open person who can talk to anyone then it shouldnt be a problem, baby will be what 8 months by oct 2012?

plenty of time to get used to new baby, i went to perth albeit for validation trip with 14 week old baby and wherever i walked with pushchair other mums stop to talk it is so easy to use your child as an ice breaker to start conversation......

i moved from london to derby a few years ago when baby was 8 weeks old and found having the baby made making new friends much easier....

all i can say is that she knows her own mind and she knows how easy she finds it to talk to people

hope that helps somehow

Marie x
Old Nov 14th 2011, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, as others have said, it will depend on your OH and how she feels about it. Having said that, when we lived in Melbourne (13 years) I made much better friends through having kids than I ever have, and we had no family around. Sure, it wasn't easy at times but my OH worked horrible shift work so I was on my own a lot of the time as he was either working or trying to catch up on sleep. Not quite the same as him being away I know.

Anyway, the point is, as I said, it will depend on how strong your OH is and whether she feels ok coping during that time. Will your other 2 weeks be "off" or will you still be working, just locally?
Old Nov 14th 2011, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

It will go one of two ways mate... It'll either work... Or it wont....

Tbh my mates with fly in fly out husbands enjoy their single time and enjoy making up for the time they are apart even more

Its the men that are away that have found it hardest.... One of them has some serious, unfounded, trust issues and either the situation or the relationship wont last under this regieme....

We have navy friends, being so close to Garden Island that isnt really surprising.... Their OHs are gone for months at a time sometimes into war zones.... Their story is a little different, but they cope amazingly well....

I worked in North Yorkshire and came home to suffolk for weekends for 6 months to further a career I no longer have... Leaving HIM and the kids sunday -friday... It very nearly killed me, emotionally and physically.... Tho I managed to loose a heap of weight during that time.... Mainly through neglecting to eat... Do you need to loose weight?

There are so many factors that will influence the success of is ..... Too many to give you anything other than an idea other peoples experience... Tho whether thats a true reflection of whats happening or not only they know... Who knows what REALLY goes on in a relationship behind closed doors...
Old Nov 14th 2011, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

bruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to all

My hubby worked away quite a bit last year on fly in fly out , whilst I was pregnant . money is good but it puts a huge strain on family life
Now I have baby no way is he working away !! I have other children too and having a newborn is tiring . Many woman with fly in fly out partners go to councelling as disrupts the family life.
Depends if you need the $ for building etc AA a short time of fly in fly out can help financially , however it is no life for a family. I have a friend with three children who's husband works away the teenager resents her dad and everytime he comes home , major arguments . As he takes over to discipline her yet he is never there . So she thinks bugger you mate ! .
It works for some people and not others .
I know right now it won't work for me with a new baby and if he went away
I be gone !!!!! ... Good luck with what ever you decide .
Old Nov 15th 2011, 12:41 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by che2318
Visa - granted.
Healthcare - sorted.

Baby - due in Feb 2012

Now I have been told that in my new job in Australia I may sometimes be working away from home for 2 weeks at a time( 2 weeks on 2 weeks off ).......Not sure if my partner will be keen on being home alone for 2 weeks at a time with the little one.

Could throw a spanner in the whole thing.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
Where are you going to be living on $67000 per year? Some places that money is going to go a lot further than others.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 12:42 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking that myself, that isn't a huge wage.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Where are you going to be living on $67000 per year? Some places that money is going to go a lot further than others.
In another thread he mentions Sydney.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 12:46 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney, wow, I hope not too near the CBD.

Old Nov 15th 2011, 12:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Sydney, wow, I hope not too near the CBD.
If it were me I would think twice about bringing a partner and newborn on that wage in Sydney. They may do fine, but it's certainly not a lot.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

If it were me I would think twice about bringing a partner and newborn on that wage in Sydney. They may do fine, but it's certainly not a lot.
Thats a liveable shockingham wage..... But not inner city or "smarter" burbs TBH....

Also depends on what you're coming with... If you can buy outright and have no mortgage payments you should be good.... Have you done detailed searches of properties in the area you are planning to move to??? Before we came out I looked at cheap as chips properties inland.... Looked close enough to perth on the map, but turned out to be a 200 mile drive

Stralias a lot bigger than a lot of people imagine
Old Nov 15th 2011, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

He mentions Gold Coast in this thread
Originally Posted by che2318
Visa - granted.
Healthcare - sorted.
Are there really companies that hold a position open for this long? That's 11 months away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.