Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

any computer wiz's out there

any computer wiz's out there

Old Aug 31st 2004, 10:18 pm
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: any computer wiz's out there

Originally Posted by kala
Bloody hell it's exactly that, so the prob must have been a mixture of the norton/symantec thing (thanks for your help on that Neil) and this virus. Spybot and all the other stuff haven't fixed it so I'l let my dad know and get him on the case 2moro.

Cheers for all your help guys
Kala
To search for a possible virus, either on your desktop or by clicking start, find the 'my computer icon. When you have found it, right click and on the sub menu there should be 'scan using anti virus'. Click on this and let mcaffee do a search of your C drive. If it finds anything, it should repair it or quarantine the file. The search may take around 20 minutes. As for your other question relating to symantec in the class root. Yes delete these as well. But only Symantec. Hope you get it up and running.
I don't charge a consultancy fee. Ha Ha!!!

Neil
Old Aug 31st 2004, 10:34 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: any computer wiz's out there

Originally Posted by neil.b
To search for a possible virus, either on your desktop or by clicking start, find the 'my computer icon. When you have found it, right click and on the sub menu there should be 'scan using anti virus'. Click on this and let mcaffee do a search of your C drive. If it finds anything, it should repair it or quarantine the file. The search may take around 20 minutes. As for your other question relating to symantec in the class root. Yes delete these as well. But only Symantec. Hope you get it up and running.
I don't charge a consultancy fee. Ha Ha!!!

Neil
I've paid you in Karma very respectable currency these days

Just running the virus checker again, fingers crossed it will find something, but having done a search on the net about this virus it seems that quite a few people are having dificulty getting rid of the little bugger.

Makes me so angry, what sort of sad eeejit sits arround getting kicks out of screwing with other peoples property by writing these virus'.

Rant over

Thanks again guys
Kind regards
Kala
Old Aug 31st 2004, 10:39 pm
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice

I've paid you in Karma very respectable currency these days

Just running the virus checker again, fingers crossed it will find something, but having done a search on the net about this virus it seems that quite a few people are having dificulty getting rid of the little bugger.

Makes me so angry, what sort of sad eeejit sits arround getting kicks out of screwing with other peoples property by writing these virus'.

Rant over

Thanks again guys
Kind regards
Kala
If your anti virus finds something but can't fix it, go to the Mcafee website and search for it there. They should have a repair patch to download. Don't forget to update your anti virus about every 10-14 days.

Neil.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

stinky pete is an unknown quantity at this point

install Spy Sweeper!

P
Old Aug 31st 2004, 10:53 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stinky pete
install Spy Sweeper!

P
That has been mentioned on a couple of other sites I have looked at 2night, I'm gona finnish running the virus checker and try that 2moro if this doesn't work.

Off to my bed now to dream about virus'

Thanks a lot for everyones help on this.

Ta
Kala
Old Aug 31st 2004, 10:56 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

That has been mentioned on a couple of other sites I have looked at 2night, I'm gona finnish running the virus checker and try that 2moro if this doesn't work.

Off to my bed now to dream about virus'

Thanks a lot for everyones help on this.

Ta
Kala
http://computercops.biz/postp284640.html
Old Sep 1st 2004, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
I have both Opera and Firefox - prefer the latter cos it doesn't have the annoying advertising (and I refuse to pay for a browser!)

I much prefer Opera. You can get rid of the ads by paying to register it, or alternatively, take a walk on the dark side and get the crack!
Old Sep 1st 2004, 11:24 pm
squarepants

Definetely sounds like a browser hijack/spyware. There is only one think that will get rid of that for you, straight from the registry, that program is called ad-aware se, its the latest version, and its free to download.

www.thinkgeek.com

They should have it for download there, after you've cleared it, try getting HIJACKTHIS, from the same site. What sites have you been visiting then eh

Originally Posted by wmoore
Kala, it sounds like spyware / browser hijack. Have a look at the tips in this thread

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trevglas
I much prefer Opera. You can get rid of the ads by paying to register it, or alternatively, take a walk on the dark side and get the crack!
Let's just agree to disagree. I have had both Opera and Firefox installed for some time. But, I always end-up using Firefox. And, like I said before, I won't pay for a browser - well, not unless it provides something amazing : none of them does.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 7:17 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a firefox user at work and Mozilla user at home. Only use IE when some idiotic site requires active X, the same mechanism websites use to plant malware in your PC.

Firefox has not reached version 1 and is not a final release so I am looking forward to the end result.
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 8:13 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Kala

If the above tips dont work and your still having the problem pm me .