Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any climbers? Sydney area...

Any climbers? Sydney area...

Old Oct 3rd 2005, 1:23 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any climbers? Sydney area...

Are there any climbers out there, specifically in the Sydney area?

What are the (if any) local climbs like, or is it all pretty dire? Is any of it pre-bolted or not? Also, are there any local walls, or is it mostly outdoors. It's occurred to me that I've been to Sydney 3 times, and never once considered the climbing there, though I imagine the blue mountains are pretty good.

I'm just organising my stuff ready for packing and wondering what to do with my climbing harness and associated gubbins. I think that I will pack my shoes and harness, but not too sure about all my hex nuts and friends and stuff. Obviously there's quite a weight premium attached to all that stuff.

Hmmm.

S
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 1:40 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any climbers? Sydney area...

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

What are the (if any) local climbs like, or is it all pretty dire? Is any of it pre-bolted or not? Also, are there any local walls, or is it mostly outdoors. It's occurred to me that I've been to Sydney 3 times, and never once considered the climbing there, though I imagine the blue mountains are pretty good.

I'm just organising my stuff ready for packing and wondering what to do with my climbing harness and associated gubbins. I think that I will pack my shoes and harness, but not too sure about all my hex nuts and friends and stuff. Obviously there's quite a weight premium attached to all that stuff.

Hmmm.

S
A few years ago (10+ish) me and a mate used to go indoor climbing in Sydney 'town' centre, cant remember the name of it though (sorry!) as i recall it was in the back of an outdoor persuits shop, and was opposite a pizza hut (we used to go in there afterwards !!)
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 1:45 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

UNSW has an indoor. I believe it is open to public at certain times. Would imagine there are heaps of such places
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Stu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the roughStu.E is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

Hmmm.

S
The climbing here in the Sydney area is fantastic and one of the major reasons I moved out here. There are masses of good bouldering areas tucked away in the Suburbs and the roped stuff in the Blueys is amazing (2 hours ish drive). Yes it is mostly bolted but there is Trad stuff too (Mount Piddington etc) and the Araps/Gramps are only a short flight or a long drive away. There also many bolted crags very close to the City (Berowra/Narrabeen etc).

The walls are very good too (not that you really need them) with Sydney Indoor Climbing Gym being the largest (similar in size and quality to the Westway in London) and best for roped stuff. St Leonards is best for bouldering/training (and has the best 'scene')and there are other good walls at Northen Beaches and Penrith. The Ledge at Sydney Uni isn't bad and is very cheap.

Bring as much of your stuff as you can-Climbing kit is very expensive here. (Example - Shoes: Five 10 - $270-$300), Cams ($100) etc

PM me if you need more.

Stu