Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any change on the 2yrs PR for Citizenship?

Any change on the 2yrs PR for Citizenship?

Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:51 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Any change on the 2yrs PR for Citizenship?

I came to Australia in April 04 to get my visa validated, went back to the UK to sort things out and made the permanent move here in September 04. Would my two years be almost up - or do I have to wait to September before I can apply for citizenship?
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wanderlust
I came to Australia in April 04 to get my visa validated, went back to the UK to sort things out and made the permanent move here in September 04. Would my two years be almost up - or do I have to wait to September before I can apply for citizenship?
The time you spent in the UK will not normally count - use the residence calculator at http://www.citizenship.gov.au
Old Mar 24th 2006, 1:51 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
The 3 year rule is *not* in place yet. The Citizenship Bill is before Parliament, but there are fairly few sessions before June, and it still needs to go through the Senate.

Unless DIMA is keen to get it through quickly, it's more likely to be later in the year.
Hi Jeremy,

I've worked out that my eligibility date for citizenship application, allowing for time spent outside Aus since first arrival on my PR visa, is 18 Sept 2006 under the current rules.

Having resigned myself to having to wait an extra year as it looked like the Bill was expected to be in place by July this year, I'm now getting hopeful that I might just get in under the wire after all, from what you've said here.

However, I've had a look through the application forms (just to prepare myself for more DIMIA paperwork!) and I've noticed that you need a police clearance if you've lived overseas for more than 12 months since visa grant.

My visa was granted on 24 July 2003. I first entered Aus on 12 Feb 2004 but that was a validation trip only, I returned to the UK on 6 March 2004 and returned here to live on 18 Sept 2004. (A visit home plus a short business trip just happen to add up to the same length of time as my validation visit, hence the eligibility date works out spot on two years from then!)

I'm not sure if I'll need a UK police clearance - can you please advise?

Might be relevant for any others who dilly dallied in the UK before making the move too!

Thanks,

Elaine M
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine M
Hi Jeremy,

I've worked out that my eligibility date for citizenship application, allowing for time spent outside Aus since first arrival on my PR visa, is 18 Sept 2006 under the current rules.

Having resigned myself to having to wait an extra year as it looked like the Bill was expected to be in place by July this year, I'm now getting hopeful that I might just get in under the wire after all, from what you've said here.

However, I've had a look through the application forms (just to prepare myself for more DIMIA paperwork!) and I've noticed that you need a police clearance if you've lived overseas for more than 12 months since visa grant.

My visa was granted on 24 July 2003. I first entered Aus on 12 Feb 2004 but that was a validation trip only, I returned to the UK on 6 March 2004 and returned here to live on 18 Sept 2004. (A visit home plus a short business trip just happen to add up to the same length of time as my validation visit, hence the eligibility date works out spot on two years from then!)

I'm not sure if I'll need a UK police clearance - can you please advise?

Might be relevant for any others who dilly dallied in the UK before making the move too!

Thanks,

Elaine M
Well.....Jeremy is more of an expert than me by miles where citizenship stuff goes, but by my maths, you will need a UK police check. July-Feb in the UK, then March-Sept in the UK. Its certainly close, so I would get a UK check done.Get the form from the Force in the area where you last lived - they will be able to supply the check by post just as easily as if you were in the uK>
Old Mar 24th 2006, 11:09 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Thanks Polly,

I thought I probably would need the UK police check but wasn't sure if the validation trip would make any difference.

I'm going over in June for my daughter's wedding (yes I have counted the trip in my dates ) so might sort it out then rather than by post from here - hopefully it'll be quicker that way!

Elaine M
Old Mar 26th 2006, 11:18 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Jermey, if this isn't pushed through by July 1st, do you know how the Parliamentary calendar works here and what would be the next date for it's implementation?

Thanks,

Paul.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 11:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
Jermey, if this isn't pushed through by July 1st, do you know how the Parliamentary calendar works here and what would be the next date for it's implementation?
You can probably look up the parliamentary calendar yourself at http://www.aph.gov.au

The House of Representatives sits this week (27 March) and then not until May, most of that month will be taken up by the budget.

It's therefore more likely the Bill will be passed sometime later, as it needs to clear the Senate after the House. And remember it won't come into force on the day it's passed, the Minister will select a date to implement it (no more than 6 months after Royal Assent). The date could be 1 November 2006, 1 January 2007, or maybe even 26 January 2007 (Australia Day).
Old Mar 27th 2006, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

Jeremy,

You've made me a very happy and optimistic bunny! We arrived in Oz on the 1st July 2004, so were thinking that we had no hope of getting in before the 3 year rule change, and now it still might be possible. This is very important to us because we are thinking of returning to the UK and would much rather have citizenship before leaving, just in case...

Fingers and toes crossed for any of the dates that you suggest!
Old Mar 27th 2006, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road

Jeremy et all,

Thanks for the responses, very informative and it looks like i may stand a chance. Will be interesting though as I am sure there will be a balloon in applicants and the 3/9 month wait for the ceremony will balloon!

I dont care, as long as i can get my application in!

Cheerio.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CornishPasty
Jeremy et all,

Thanks for the responses, very informative and it looks like i may stand a chance. Will be interesting though as I am sure there will be a balloon in applicants and the 3/9 month wait for the ceremony will balloon!

I dont care, as long as i can get my application in!

Cheerio.
My Mum requested a private ceremony (as such). She wanted the process quickened up, as she was travelling back to the UK soon, and the next planned ceremony was too late. She just went to the council offices I think. Not sure what else she had to do - but this may be something you could enquire about??...
Jen
Old Mar 27th 2006, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
My Mum requested a private ceremony (as such). She wanted the process quickened up, as she was travelling back to the UK soon, and the next planned ceremony was too late. She just went to the council offices I think. Not sure what else she had to do - but this may be something you could enquire about??...
Jen

Many thanks for that - I too will be watching the mass flood of takers in the next few months - we cannot apply until 23rd September
Old Mar 27th 2006, 10:01 am

I'm sure this has been covered before but can't find a thread that gives a definite answer.

On behalf of those of us who might be eligible in the run up to the possible effective date for the legislation, am I right in thinking that if my application for citizenship is lodged before the new legislation takes effect (ie I haven't been interviewed, got the decision or been to the ceremony yet) it's assessed under the current rules not the new legislation?

Elaine M
Old Mar 27th 2006, 10:06 am
JAJ
Retired

On behalf of those of us who might be eligible in the run up to the possible effective date for the legislation, am I right in thinking that if my application for citizenship is lodged before the new legislation takes effect (ie I haven't been interviewed, got the decision or been to the ceremony yet) it's assessed under the current rules not the new legislation?
Current rules.

There is still a chance the Bill may be in force on 1 July 2006 - wait and see.
Old Mar 27th 2006, 11:21 am

Thanks Jeremy,

Still keeping everything crossed that it's delayed by a few months though!

Please can you keep us posted on any developments if you spot them?

Elaine
Old Mar 28th 2006, 1:21 am
JAJ
Retired

Thanks Jeremy,

Still keeping everything crossed that it's delayed by a few months though!

Please can you keep us posted on any developments if you spot them?

Elaine
anyone can stay in touch directly via http://www.citizenship.gov.au and http://www.aph.gov.au

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.