Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any change on the 2yrs PR for Citizenship?

Any change on the 2yrs PR for Citizenship?

Old Mar 23rd 2006, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road
Default Any change on the 2yrs PR for Citizenship?

I read a post on here last year about the minimum 2yrs PR before you can apply for Citizenship might be moving to 3yrs. Does anyone know if this has happened or is moving forward?

Though I moved here 2yrs ago next week, I have been out of the country alot so my 2yrs wont be until this coming September.

Cheers!
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 4:03 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any change on the 2yrs PR for Citizenship?

Originally Posted by CornishPasty
I read a post on here last year about the minimum 2yrs PR before you can apply for Citizenship might be moving to 3yrs. Does anyone know if this has happened or is moving forward?

Though I moved here 2yrs ago next week, I have been out of the country alot so my 2yrs wont be until this coming September.

Cheers!
THE BILL HASNT BEEN PASSED YET...THEY WERE LOOKING AT 1ST JULY THO BUT DOUBT IT WILL GO THRO B THEN...BUT THEN AGAIN U NEVVA KNOW
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I think the 3 year rule is here but not officially.

We met the criteria in Novemeber...finally got interview in Jan, and letters saying all is well in Jan.

I called the council to find out about ceremonies only to be told there is a 6-9 month waiting list for ceremonies, so we will not be citizens til July- Oct.
Then we will have held PR for over 3 years!
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 6:46 am
Just Joined

beachgal is an unknown quantity at this point

Its all very bizarre as The Australian government are advertising in magazines such as Australian OK magazine - encouraging people to take up citizenship if they have been PR for 2 years and basically selling to it them via advertising - dosen't make much sense to change rule to three years if they have to advertise to get people to do this in the first place. Also why advertise if there are waiting lists for citizenship ceremonies - seems like such a waste of money all the advertising they are doing in glossy magazines.

I will watch with interest.

BG
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
I think the 3 year rule is here but not officially.

We met the criteria in Novemeber...finally got interview in Jan, and letters saying all is well in Jan.

I called the council to find out about ceremonies only to be told there is a 6-9 month waiting list for ceremonies, so we will not be citizens til July- Oct.
Then we will have held PR for over 3 years!
The residence requirement is only assessed at the time of *application*.

A 6-9 month waiting list for a ceremony is completely out of order, you should complain to your local councillor and also to DIMA. DIMA policy is that people should wait no more than 3 months, and if a council is not organising enough ceremonies then they need to know about it (they can also let you attend a Department ceremony if you wish, although then you can't bring guests). Write to your federal MP if you cannot get through to anyone with authority in DIMA Citizenship Section.

The 3 year rule is *not* in place yet. The Citizenship Bill is before Parliament, but there are fairly few sessions before June, and it still needs to go through the Senate.

Unless DIMA is keen to get it through quickly, it's more likely to be later in the year.

Please bear in mind that many people are waiting desperately for the Bill to pass - former Australians who've lost their citizenship (and want it back), and those who missed time limits to register as citizens by descent, for example.

Last edited by JAJ; Mar 23rd 2006 at 12:03 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:25 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

we had our interviews early December and our ceremony is on May 1st. I chased up our local council, who in turn had to chase up Canberra to get our cerificates issued. They recon that they are waiting at least 4 months for Canberra to issue the certificates then they have to arrange the ceremony.

Lynn
Old Mar 24th 2006, 12:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth
we had our interviews early December and our ceremony is on May 1st. I chased up our local council, who in turn had to chase up Canberra to get our cerificates issued. They recon that they are waiting at least 4 months for Canberra to issue the certificates then they have to arrange the ceremony.

Are you sure the council is not spinning you a tale? - 4 months is a long time to wait for a ceremony. DIMA's own policy normally says 3 months max.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

jery_wang is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi JAJ,

Does this regulation affect the 2 years residency period stated in Centrelink? What I means those Centrelink benefits that require 2 years residency period, do they automatically require 3 years because of this new Citizenship bill?

I have impression that the 2 years holding period stated in Centrelink (for example for New start allowance) coincide with the Citizenship requirement that the resident has to stay at least 2 years in Australia.

Thanks and Kind Regards,
Jerry

Originally Posted by JAJ

A 6-9 month waiting list for a ceremony is completely out of order, you should complain to your local councillor and also to DIMA. DIMA policy is that people should wait no more than 3 months, and if a council is not organising enough ceremonies then they need to know about it (they can also let you attend a Department ceremony if you wish, although then you can't bring guests). Write to your federal MP if you cannot get through to anyone with authority in DIMA Citizenship Section.

The 3 year rule is *not* in place yet. The Citizenship Bill is before Parliament, but there are fairly few sessions before June, and it still needs to go through the Senate.

Unless DIMA is keen to get it through quickly, it's more likely to be later in the year.

Please bear in mind that many people are waiting desperately for the Bill to pass - former Australians who've lost their citizenship (and want it back), and those who missed time limits to register as citizens by descent, for example.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

jery_wang is an unknown quantity at this point

How about to those people who have arrived and stayed in Australia for less than 2 years. Does the regulation extend the waiting period for them to 3 years? Or it only applies to the newly arrived migrants?

Thanks.
Jerry

Originally Posted by JAJ

Old Mar 24th 2006, 1:02 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by jery_wang
Hi JAJ,

Does this regulation affect the 2 years residency period stated in Centrelink? What I means those Centrelink benefits that require 2 years residency period, do they automatically require 3 years because of this new Citizenship bill?

I have impression that the 2 years holding period stated in Centrelink (for example for New start allowance) coincide with the Citizenship requirement that the resident has to stay at least 2 years in Australia.

Centrelink waiting periods for PRs and citizenship eligibility are two completely different things.

For example, people who have lived as PRs in Australia in the past are normally exempt the 2 year waiting period for Centrelink, but they still have to wait for citizenship.

Centrelink waiting periods are staying at 2 years, not increasing to 3.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 1:05 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Centrelink waiting periods for PRs and citizenship eligibility are two completely different things.

For example, people who have lived as PRs in Australia in the past are normally exempt the 2 year waiting period for Centrelink, but they still have to wait for citizenship.

Centrelink waiting periods are staying at 2 years, not increasing to 3.

Woo hoo.

Any idea about the University loans thing Jeremy?

Paul.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 1:05 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by jery_wang
How about to those people who have arrived and stayed in Australia for less than 2 years. Does the regulation extend the waiting period for them to 3 years? Or it only applies to the newly arrived migrants?

The Bill as it stands applies to everyone except those who *apply* for citizenship before the law takes effect. A Senate committee did recommend that existing PRs be exempted, we'll need to see if DIMA accept this or not (they don't have to).
Old Mar 24th 2006, 1:06 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by diddy
Woo hoo.

Any idea about the University loans thing Jeremy?

Paul.
That requires citizenship (normally), the Centrelink rules do not. Different government departments, different rules.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:30 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Are you sure the council is not spinning you a tale? - 4 months is a long time to wait for a ceremony. DIMA's own policy normally says 3 months max.
I'm inclined to believe them as most people i know who have had ceremonies in our shire have been done within a couple of months, i spoke to dimia about it too and they said it was unusual for a ceremony to be done in under 4 months and was usually around the 6 month mark :scared:

Like everything else though if you speak to people enough you will get something done about it

Lynn
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:47 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by movetoperth
I'm inclined to believe them as most people i know who have had ceremonies in our shire have been done within a couple of months, i spoke to dimia about it too and they said it was unusual for a ceremony to be done in under 4 months and was usually around the 6 month mark :scared:

I wouldn't rely on the DIMA public enquiry line either (often depends on who answers the phone) - 6 months to wait for a ceremony is *not* typical.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.