Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any chance of visa with police record

Any chance of visa with police record

Old Jul 6th 2005, 4:59 pm
Ben&Jill

Ben1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Any chance of visa with police record

Hello, I have worries over applying for a visa? To cut along story short!
I have been offered a job in OZ, but to my amazement over 18 years ago i got into trouble with the Law & got a couple of convictions for drugs smoking dope this is still on my record even though I only got a slap on the wrist but to look at my police report you would think I was related to Howard Marks! with this on my records does anyone know if I have a chance at getting my visa?
Any help would be gratefully received
( I don't want to lead the company up the path if I have no hope)
Old Jul 6th 2005, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Laurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really niceLaurie1st is just really nice
Default Re: Any chance of visa with police record

Hi Ben,

It seems that people have been granted visas with more serious convictions than that. If they were minor convictions, especially if you didn't have any jail time, I think you'll be okay.

If you're really worried, maybe you should make an appointment to speak with an immigration attorney, or an agent. They will be able to put your mind at ease, and it won't cost much.

Good luck!
Old Jul 6th 2005, 5:14 pm
Ben&Jill

Ben1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the roughBen1 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Laurie1st
Hi Ben,

It seems that people have been granted visas with more serious convictions than that. If they were minor convictions, especially if you didn't have any jail time, I think you'll be okay.

If you're really worried, maybe you should make an appointment to speak with an immigration attorney, or an agent. They will be able to put your mind at ease, and it won't cost much.

Good luck!
Thanks very helpfull,
Old Jul 6th 2005, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben1
I have been offered a job in OZ, but to my amazement over 18 years ago i got into trouble with the Law & got a couple of convictions for drugs smoking dope this is still on my record even though I only got a slap on the wrist but to look at my police report you would think I was related to Howard Marks! with this on my records does anyone know if I have a chance at getting my visa?
Hi I think it depends on the offence and if it classed as a spent conviction, I also got in trouble when I was in my late teens. I declared this on my application and was amazed that it did not show up on my Police checks. I do know somebody who now lives in Perth who was convicted of GBH 13 years ago and he managed to get a visa.

John
Old Jul 6th 2005, 5:36 pm
Ben&Jill

Originally Posted by jond
Hi I think it depends on the offence and if it classed as a spent conviction, I also got in trouble when I was in my late teens. I declared this on my application and was amazed that it did not show up on my Police checks. I do know somebody who now lives in Perth who was convicted of GBH 13 years ago and he managed to get a visa.

John
Cheers john apparently its not classed as spent because there are 3 convictions although one was for allowing on the premise they are only seen as spent after twenty years believe it or not!
Old Jul 6th 2005, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Only offences that have resulted in 12 months or more custodial sentences are looked at by the DIMIA, everything else is ignored.

Gone are the days when it was a requirement!!!
Old Jul 6th 2005, 6:05 pm
Ben&Jill

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Only offences that have resulted in 12 months or more custodial sentences are looked at by the DIMIA, everything else is ignored.

Gone are the days when it was a requirement!!!
Thanks, where does it say that? It would be great to know! I've been fretting since I got the police check back
Old Jul 6th 2005, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, where does it say that? It would be great to know! I've been fretting since I got the police check back
I have seen it quoted on here and also I it was mentioned by my migration agent. Wife had a speeding ticket and she thought it might go against her!!! agent cleared up any confusion

no worries
Old Jul 6th 2005, 10:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

There is a long document about it, but its on my pc at home and I'm at work now. I'll try and remember to post later.
it is true that the more offences you have, the less likely they are to ever be "spent" but unless you have something really awful and a prison sentence you should be OK.
I've chatted to people on here who have convictions for violence, drug importation, and burglaries. All of them now have visas. The thing is to be upfront about it all, and if possible write a letter explaining the circumstances etc under which the offence took place - to show mitigating circumstances, and how you have "reformed".
Old Jul 7th 2005, 6:18 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

My husband had exactly what you are describing...he even when he first saw the report said "thats not mine"...! they write it up in such a way that 1 offence looks like 4 dont they...write a letter with the application explaining time scale/young and inexperienced/much more responsible now etc etc...you'l be fine
Old Jul 7th 2005, 7:13 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Mitigating circumstances...

" I was stoned at the time and didnt know what I was doing " wont work.

Although " I tried it but didnt inhale " is well worn and proven with plenty of precedent of success.
Old Jul 8th 2005, 5:22 pm
Ben&Jill

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There is a long document about it, but its on my pc at home and I'm at work now. I'll try and remember to post later.
it is true that the more offences you have, the less likely they are to ever be "spent" but unless you have something really awful and a prison sentence you should be OK.
I've chatted to people on here who have convictions for violence, drug importation, and burglaries. All of them now have visas. The thing is to be upfront about it all, and if possible write a letter explaining the circumstances etc under which the offence took place - to show mitigating circumstances, and how you have "reformed".
Thanks Pollyanna, thats some weight of my mind if you could send me this document that would be great. Reading some of your posts you seem up on this kind of thing?
I realise there is some difference between our economy's OZ/UK! The money thing is an issue as well, the job Ive been offered is for 41.000 Aus dollars, in the UK I'm on the equivalent of 69.000 dollars and we were thinking this may be too much of a drop in money no matter how much we want to come to OZ/ or is 41.000 a good wage for a family over there?
Old Jul 8th 2005, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
Mitigating circumstances...

" I was stoned at the time and didnt know what I was doing " wont work.

Although " I tried it but didnt inhale " is well worn and proven with plenty of precedent of success.
ROFL
Old Jul 8th 2005, 10:30 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pollyanna, thats some weight of my mind if you could send me this document that would be great. Reading some of your posts you seem up on this kind of thing?
I realise there is some difference between our economy's OZ/UK! The money thing is an issue as well, the job Ive been offered is for 41.000 Aus dollars, in the UK I'm on the equivalent of 69.000 dollars and we were thinking this may be too much of a drop in money no matter how much we want to come to OZ/ or is 41.000 a good wage for a family over there?
Hia ben
If you search on cost of living or 'how much' you will find lots of threads describing earnings etc.

On 41,000$ you will get decent tax reliefs for kids, etc but some of these dont kick-in for 2 yrs. Do a search on that too - or check out www.ato.gov.au

is the 41 a starting salary likely to increase, or is that it. It also depends on where you live and what you are looking for wherever you settle, how many of you there are etc.
good luck !.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 7:47 pm
Ben&Jill

Originally Posted by tracey.d
ROFL
Cheers there is always "I wasn't there honest!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.