Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any chance of renting before Xmas?

Any chance of renting before Xmas?

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 11:34 am
Just Joined

movetoaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any chance of renting before Xmas?

Hello,

My visa has just come through and I'm arriving in Sydney on the 13th December. I've got a hotel for 1 week. I'm intending to rent a 4 bedroom house in Sydney but the letting agents will not even consider an application unless I've actually viewed a place in person.

So that leaves me trying to rent a place the week before xmas. Not ideal I know.

The renting procedures are quite different to the UK, I apparently have to put in an application to be considered once I've viewed a property.

What would differentiate one application from another? Also, do I have a cat in hells chance of putting in an application and have it approved before New Year? Hotel accomodation is thin on the ground around the 29th December.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

John
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 12:14 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any chance of renting before Xmas?

Originally Posted by movetoaus
Hello,

My visa has just come through and I'm arriving in Sydney on the 13th December. I've got a hotel for 1 week. I'm intending to rent a 4 bedroom house in Sydney but the letting agents will not even consider an application unless I've actually viewed a place in person.

So that leaves me trying to rent a place the week before xmas. Not ideal I know.

The renting procedures are quite different to the UK, I apparently have to put in an application to be considered once I've viewed a property.

What would differentiate one application from another? Also, do I have a cat in hells chance of putting in an application and have it approved before New Year? Hotel accomodation is thin on the ground around the 29th December.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

John
Decisions on applications can be determined by many factors including rental history, job history, whether the applicant has a job, if a couple or family also apply single people may miss out. It is all up to the discretion of the owner as to who is successful. Also agents sometimes close for Christmas/New Year in some places.
You are cutting it abit fine considering that sometimes it may take anything up to a couple of weeks for an owner to make a decision, especially at this time of year, as they the maybe on holidays. also processing of paperwork takes time and the property may not be vacant immediately, as many properties are listed well before the current tenants move out. You would seriously even need to allow a couple of weeks of looking around for a property.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice

Hi John

Once you've viewed a property you fill out an application supported my 100 points worth of evidence - ie photo id (passport or dirvers licence) bank statements, references from previous landlords, phone/gas/electric bill, previous rent receipts etc. The realestate agent then presents them to the owner who chooses the tenant.

There are quite a few properties around for tenancy late December - have you looked at realestate.com.au or domain.com?

They have this rule about viewing first - my son in law is trying to rent a house in the next street which he knows quite well; he's in a bit of a hurry but the realestate person is adamant that he can't apply until he's viewed it - she hasn't got the keys yet and he's had to go off on a business trip for two weeks!

It might be worth getting a property on a short lease and then look for 'home' if you want to get in quickly.

Anyway - Good Luck!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

A hotel for a week is cutting it pretty fine I think. It took us just under three weeks to find somewhere, which seems pretty common from threads on here. I was talking to an estate agent the other day and he said they were pretty much on Christmas slow down now and they would be shut for two weeks, another one said the office was staffed by one person over the holidays, really just to have someone answer the phone if necessary.

I know everyone keeps talking about the 100 point thing, competition with applications etc. but that isn't always the case. We viewed, said we liked it, agent phoned landlord, landlord said yes. The only thing we needed was OHs job offer showing salary.

I appreciate holiday accommodation over the Christmas period is expensive, but you really don't want to be in the position of having to take the first thing you can find. Good luck.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

mattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nicemattandjulia is just really nice

You cpuld allways ask if anyone on here is willing to look at the property for you to see if it's suitable. We did and it was ok. Just say they are your friend.

Julia.