Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any British teachers teaching in Oz?

Any British teachers teaching in Oz?

Old Oct 16th 2006, 1:31 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any British teachers teaching in Oz?

Can anyone let the wife know what they mean out here on the teaching
appliction forms by the term 'Teaching Methods'? usually used in the context of 'List your teaching methods'. Can anyone translate this term please.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 4:21 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any British teachers teaching in Oz?

Originally Posted by arkon
appliction forms by the term 'Teaching Methods'? usually used in the context of 'List your teaching methods'. Can anyone translate this term please.
BUMP! Sorry can't believe that no British teacher knows the answer to this.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

im my experience, teaching methods, (and stratergies) ie. collaborative learning, discovery based learning, cooperative learning, engage learning, etc.

[I]'A teaching methodology is an approach a teacher will take in order to help a child learn. we must vary our teaching methods in order to serve all children so that they will learn to their highest potential. This is true for both a general education classroom as well as the special education classroom.'[/I]

Certain methods that I will use to teach my class with or without special needs will be; hands-on activities, group projects, individual projects, class discussions, role-playing, worksheets and trivia, daily oral language, spelling and writing, and science projects.

I have applied for a number of teaching jobs in aus (one of which i secured!!!) and those who took up my reference all asked my head what my teaching methodology was, with focus upon behaviour management.

hope this helps and sorry if its a bit like trying to teach ur granny to suck eggs..lol

regards

lolly
Old Oct 17th 2006, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing they are big on here is 'productive pedagogies', engaged learning, enquiry based learning and co-enquiry, lots of group work, the teacher as the 'master student' etc etc Thing is putting it all into practice isn't as easy as the speil the education dept spout... Either way, good luck to your wife, I'm sure she'll secure something by just reitterating what she did in the UK.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Teaching methods means subjects that you are qualified to teach. My degree is in English and I had real difficulties as most Universities want 2 methods for teaching courses even though this is not required by the Teaching Institute .
Nicky
Old Oct 17th 2006, 8:34 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by lollyno1
im my experience, teaching methods, (and stratergies) ie. collaborative learning, discovery based learning, cooperative learning, engage learning, etc.

[I]'A teaching methodology is an approach a teacher will take in order to help a child learn. we must vary our teaching methods in order to serve all children so that they will learn to their highest potential. This is true for both a general education classroom as well as the special education classroom.'[/I]

Certain methods that I will use to teach my class with or without special needs will be; hands-on activities, group projects, individual projects, class discussions, role-playing, worksheets and trivia, daily oral language, spelling and writing, and science projects.

I have applied for a number of teaching jobs in aus (one of which i secured!!!) and those who took up my reference all asked my head what my teaching methodology was, with focus upon behaviour management.

hope this helps and sorry if its a bit like trying to teach ur granny to suck eggs..lol

regards

lolly
Excellent, Thanks all 3 of you. This is a real bonus as she has been trying to get a job for months now with no luck and I suspect it's more to do with the terms she uses than her actual experience and qualifications. 9 out of 10 don’t even reply back! She is hugely qualified to teach and very experienced and without blowing her trumpet too loud was able to get any job she went for in the UK, here by contrast no one will touch her with a shitty stick and we have no idea why. We have re done her CV now also and removed any reference to nationality etc.

So thanks again people and fingers crossed.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:01 am
A happy pom in Oz!

johnnie7au has a spectacular aura aboutjohnnie7au has a spectacular aura aboutjohnnie7au has a spectacular aura about

In most states (I think all states) you have to be four year trained for High School or Primary. That means a four year teaching degree, or a 3 year degree plus a 1 year Grad dip Ed.

There is forecast a massive undersupply of trained teachers in WA. Particularly in regards to maths and the hard sciences.

WA is going though the "outcomes based education" model. (I won't even bother boring you with my feelings on this!) Grrrr!

For more info regards this it would be worth visiting this website..

http://www.platowa.com

Also in WA , regards teaching in government schools the website is ..

http://www.det.wa.edu.au

and the WA registration board is ...

http://www.wacot.wa.edu.au
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:09 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't there anything about this on the 'Teaching Forum'?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forum...aysprune=&f=80

Always worth a look/search.

Good Luck
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:30 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by arnie2oz
Wasn't there anything about this on the 'Teaching Forum'?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forum...aysprune=&f=80

Always worth a look/search.

Good Luck
Ooops sorry, I didn't realise there was a forum dedicated to it! I'll let the missus know and thanks.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Ooops sorry, I didn't realise there was a forum dedicated to it! I'll let the missus know and thanks.

sent you a pm.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 1:31 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by lollyno1
sent you a pm.
Thanks, I sent you a long whinge!
Old Oct 18th 2006, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice

Hi Arkon / Mrs Arkon,

I just wanted to express my sympathies.

I can't answer your question as I'm not there yet, but in 3 weeks I will be and am dreading my applications being knocked back.

I have family in WA who keep going on how I'll get a job easily blah blah blah but I speak to the department and one bloke actually said
"You can't just swan over here and expect to get a job where you want".

Nice.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Gemma
Old Oct 18th 2006, 12:27 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by foxall22
Hi Arkon / Mrs Arkon,

I just wanted to express my sympathies.

I can't answer your question as I'm not there yet, but in 3 weeks I will be and am dreading my applications being knocked back.

I have family in WA who keep going on how I'll get a job easily blah blah blah but I speak to the department and one bloke actually said
"You can't just swan over here and expect to get a job where you want".

Nice.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Gemma
We have a huge story to tell about the process to get a teaching job here regardless of how qualified you think you are but I can't write it up yet for fear of prejudicing her chances. All I’ll say for now is forget how good, qualified and experienced you are in whatever your field that actually got you your visa. It means absolutely sweet fanny Adams once you get here. This time it’s nothing to do with us being rural as all her attempts have been the cities. She is not only qualified to teach but a paramedic and nurse also and I won’t even go there yet. Good luck when you get here and apply for all your needed certificates etc as soon as you step off the plane and make sure your not dependent on getting good work in your skill straight away and be prepared to be humiliated and work as though your just starting out again.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 1:10 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

We have a huge story to tell about the process to get a teaching job here regardless of how qualified you think you are but I can't write it up yet for fear of prejudicing her chances. All I’ll say for now is forget how good, qualified and experienced you are in whatever your field that actually got you your visa. It means absolutely sweet fanny Adams once you get here. This time it’s nothing to do with us being rural as all her attempts have been the cities. She is not only qualified to teach but a paramedic and nurse also and I won’t even go there yet. Good luck when you get here and apply for all your needed certificates etc as soon as you step off the plane and make sure your not dependent on getting good work in your skill straight away and be prepared to be humiliated and work as though your just starting out again.
I can absolutely sympathise with your position Arkon - I for one know exactly how difficult they actually make it to get teacher registration status over here. They are completely beligerent, inflexible and have no concept of how hard you may have worked to get where you have got elsewhere. To them it's all about round pegs in round holes. Anything a little bit different or not in their realm of experience is just rejected out of hand.

I gave up in the end. Bo**ox to them. I've taken my skills back into industry where they are actually appreciated and rewarded accordingly.

I wish you luck.

S
Old Oct 18th 2006, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice

Oh dear.... I have already had some bad experience with the department (as mentioned) and am REALLY dreading encountering any incompetetence.

I started filling out forms for registration months ago but they still won't guarantee when I get on orientation course despite saying it's been processed.

I work so hard when teaching and was asked to reconsider moving, offered a promotion/payrise... I turned it all down in pursuit of the life we want. And although I'm not a money-chaser the teaching salaries in Oz do depress me.

Arkon - has your wife done the orientation course? How did she find it? Did she managed to get paid for it?

If there was anything else I had any calling to do I would do it in a flash, but at the moment teaching is the only job that I miss when I'm not doing it.

Good luck again,
Gemma

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.