Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any aussies working in the UK please help!

Any aussies working in the UK please help!

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:37 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any aussies working in the UK please help!

I am an Aussie working in Glasgow. Do I have to declare my earnings to the Australian Tax Department? Will I be taxed in Australia for my earnings in Glasgow?
If anyone could shed some light on this subject would be much appreciated.
Jim
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any aussies working in the UK please help!

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
I am an Aussie working in Glasgow. Do I have to declare my earnings to the Australian Tax Department? Will I be taxed in Australia for my earnings in Glasgow?
If anyone could shed some light on this subject would be much appreciated.
Jim
It depends if you are Australia tax resident or not. Go to http://www.ato.gov.au and look at the information on residency. If you are non-resident then only income sourced in Australia will be taxable.

Australian citizenship *in itself* does not make you tax resident.

The UK Inland Revenue will need to know about your earnings, of course.

Jeremy
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It depends if you are Australia tax resident or not. Go to http://www.ato.gov.au and look at the information on residency. If you are non-resident then only income sourced in Australia will be taxable.

Australian citizenship *in itself* does not make you tax resident.

The UK Inland Revenue will need to know about your earnings, of course.

Jeremy
Spot on as usual!

I'm in a similar situation to you Jim (we live about 80 miles south of Glasgow in 'Bonnie Galloway'). The only income we have to declare to ATO is bank interest earned on accounts we still have in Oz (actually 10% non resident tax is just deducted at source by the bank). Your UK earnings are only the concern of Her Majesty's Inland Revenue (at East Kilbride in our case).

What do you do in Glasgow and which part of Oz are you from? (schoolteacher and Melbourne in my case - married a Scots lass over there and moved to Scotland, going back to Melb in a few years time).

Welcome to the exclusive band of 'Aussies in the UK' on this site.

OzTennis
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:54 am
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

I would hope not... :scared: not that I've been earning a huge amount of money for the past few years here in the UK. I've been very good at contributing to the Inland Revenue of the UK.

I've only a pittance remaining in my Australian bank account. Will start transferring money to it soon though, so there's a bit there for when we land in Brisbane in about 6 weeks time..
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:55 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Spot on as usual!

I'm in a similar situation to you Jim (we live about 80 miles south of Glasgow in 'Bonnie Galloway'). The only income we have to declare to ATO is bank interest earned on accounts we still have in Oz (actually 10% non resident tax is just deducted at source by the bank). Your UK earnings are only the concern of Her Majesty's Inland Revenue (at East Kilbride in our case).

What do you do in Glasgow and which part of Oz are you from? (schoolteacher and Melbourne in my case - married a Scots lass over there and moved to Scotland, going back to Melb in a few years time).

Welcome to the exclusive band of 'Aussies in the UK' on this site.

OzTennis
Hey oz,
I am driving for First buses, and I'm really starting to hate it, but, I have to keep going with it untill my girl friend who is a scotish lass too gets her visa. Then I'm going back to Canberra. I love Melbourne, used to ride down there all the time for the moto gp. Thanks for replying to my tread i was just reading the ato site and it seemed to be a lot of mumbo jumbo to me. But, you have helped me out, thanks.
Jim
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Hey oz,
I am driving for First buses, and I'm really starting to hate it, but, I have to keep going with it untill my girl friend who is a scotish lass too gets her visa. Then I'm going back to Canberra. I love Melbourne, used to ride down there all the time for the moto gp. Thanks for replying to my tread i was just reading the ato site and it seemed to be a lot of mumbo jumbo to me. But, you have helped me out, thanks.
Jim
'No worries' mate. Are you driving in Glasgow? Remember that there are quite a few parts where you have to keep the bus moving, otherwise you will lose your tyres. Seriously, I would imagine that driving the narrow Glasgow streets in a bus would be quite challenging.

You'll be watching the GP this weekend of course. (My wife taught David Coulthard would you believe - it was the only Higher subject he passed, Geography, which is handy for him getting around! He only passed one Higher because he was rarely in school - already into F3 as soon as he got his licence. He is an incredibly nice person. Even to this day his old schoolfriends get an envelope in the post which will contain plane, hotel and GP tickets for exotic locations - and he has even flown some to Melbourne).

Good luck with everything.

OzTennis
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 2:01 pm
Breast Inspector

Originally Posted by OzTennis
'No worries' mate. Are you driving in Glasgow? Remember that there are quite a few parts where you have to keep the bus moving, otherwise you will lose your tyres. Seriously, I would imagine that driving the narrow Glasgow streets in a bus would be quite challenging.

You'll be watching the GP this weekend of course. (My wife taught David Coulthard would you believe - it was the only Higher subject he passed, Geography, which is handy for him getting around! He only passed one Higher because he was rarely in school - already into F3 as soon as he got his licence. He is an incredibly nice person. Even to this day his old schoolfriends get an envelope in the post which will contain plane, hotel and GP tickets for exotic locations - and he has even flown some to Melbourne).

Good luck with everything.

OzTennis
Hey OZ
I'm mostly doing 38's Crookfur to Gathamlock, and yes I know what you meen with the tyres, had a few windows smashed too.
I was talking about the motorcycles at Phillip Island when I mentioned the moto gp, but, I do like the F1 gp and I do watch it. Its the first race of the season for the V8 supercars too. I am hopeing to take my girlfriend down to Philip Island when I get back to oz. I'd like to explore Melbourne more too, I was realy impressed with the motorcycle shops on Elizabeth Street.
What do you think about Scotland?
Jim
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hey OZ
I'm mostly doing 38's Crookfur to Gathamlock, and yes I know what you meen with the tyres, had a few windows smashed too.
I was talking about the motorcycles at Phillip Island when I mentioned the moto gp, but, I do like the F1 gp and I do watch it. Its the first race of the season for the V8 supercars too. I am hopeing to take my girlfriend down to Philip Island when I get back to oz. I'd like to explore Melbourne more too, I was realy impressed with the motorcycle shops on Elizabeth Street.
What do you think about Scotland?
Jim
Jim

I see what you mean if you are doing the Crookfur to Garthamlock run - no chance of Kelvinside or Newton Mearns/Giffnock etc on the south side?

Yep, I knew you meant Phillip Island, it was just with the F1 coming up I thought you would be into it as well. I know all those motorcycle shops on Elizabeth St very well - once had a job during the student holidays in a camera shop in Elizabeth between Lonsdale and LaTrobe which was opposite some of the bike shops. I also used to walk every day up Eliz St from Flinders St station to Uni of Melb.

I love it in Scotland. We're in a lovely part of the world in the south west and teaching is comparatively easy and pleasant to what it must be like in many parts of Glasgow, Edinburgh and the other cities. We're also reasonably close to the border so can nip down to the Lake District, Yorkshire Dales etc in an hour or two as well as easily get up to the Highlands and Edinburgh etc. I must admit I'm more of an Edinburgh than a Glasgow visitor but tennis takes me to Glasgow often - Scotstoun, Renfrew, Whitecraigs, Giffnock, Broomhill etc.

Nice to hear from you.

OzTennis