Reload this Page >

Any advice in relation to Gold Coast please

Any advice in relation to Gold Coast please

Old Feb 13th 2013, 10:26 am
Just Joined

Gardgang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any advice in relation to Gold Coast please

Hi everyone

Firstly just want to introduce myself, I'm Sam and my husband and I with our two kids (3) and (5) are moving to Australia!!!

My hubby has been offered a job in the Gold Coast, not sure of exact location but moving to Australia has been our plan for along time!

What I would really appreciate is some advice on the Gold Coast as we have never been to Australia previously.

Our main concern is our kids schooling and we would live anywhere which meant they would be at a good school!
My 5 yr old is currently used to a very small village school and don't really want to shock her with a massive one.

We like quite places but with access to all amenities.
Also I am 18 weeks pregnant so would need to get set up in a maternity unit.

Also if someone has got the time could they give me a crash course on life in oz? From bills, to hospitals, health care, schools, renting a house, cars and any hidden costs we might not be aware of?

Anything you can tell me would be so much appreciated!!
Thanks Sam
Old Feb 13th 2013, 10:37 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any advice in relation to Gold Coast please

Originally Posted by Gardgang
Hi everyone

Firstly just want to introduce myself, I'm Sam and my husband and I with our two kids (3) and (5) are moving to Australia!!!

My hubby has been offered a job in the Gold Coast, not sure of exact location but moving to Australia has been our plan for along time!

What I would really appreciate is some advice on the Gold Coast as we have never been to Australia previously.

Our main concern is our kids schooling and we would live anywhere which meant they would be at a good school!
My 5 yr old is currently used to a very small village school and don't really want to shock her with a massive one.

Also if someone has got the time could they give me a crash course on life in oz? From bills, to hospitals, health care, schools, renting a house, cars and any hidden costs we might not be aware of?

Thanks Sam
You could use the search function up on the tool bar. There's a wealth of info on the Gold Coast in regard to schools, hospitals, renting etc etc.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 10:57 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

think blackpool with sharks and drunk school kids, that should give you a clue, nice parking meter girls though.

Last time i was on the gold coast i saw someone wearing a pale blue short sleeved safari suit with a long sleeved white shirt - classy.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 11:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

Thanks Sam
Welcome to BE

Sit down and spend a few hours reading through threads on here, thgat should give you an intro to the good, the bad and the ugly of Australia
Old Feb 13th 2013, 8:16 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Welcome to BE

Sit down and spend a few hours reading through threads on here, thgat should give you an intro to the good, the bad and the ugly of Australia
treat the answers you get the same as if you`d just asked a room full of strangers ( which is what you really have just done )
some people will be helpful some not so and you always get one knob who`ll talk bollocks,

another thing to note is to listen to the people that actually live there not some one who once went with his / her wife three years ago for a day and is full of opinions

good luck

steve
Old Feb 13th 2013, 8:39 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommiekev
think blackpool with sharks and drunk school kids, that should give you a clue, nice parking meter girls though.
Kev is referring to the beach front high rise area from Surfers to Miami which is a bit like learning about London by only seeing Piccadilly Circus. The Gold Coast covers a large area which spreads from Beenleigh in the north down to Coolangatta on the NSW border, and west up into the hills of the Great Dividing Range. Within that area you can find everything from small village type communities to inner city high rise apartment living.

Check out http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/default.html
Old Feb 14th 2013, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Kev is referring to the beach front high rise area from Surfers to Miami which is a bit like learning about London by only seeing Piccadilly Circus. The Gold Coast covers a large area which spreads from Beenleigh in the north down to Coolangatta on the NSW border, and west up into the hills of the Great Dividing Range. Within that area you can find everything from small village type communities to inner city high rise apartment living.

Check out http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/default.html
Exactly so. We live in a country location with 2 primary/junior schools which are highly regarded - big enough to have good facilities, small enough to get to know everyone. We are about 30 minutes drive from the major public hospitals and have excellent local medical facilities. We can even see the skyscrapers of Surfers Paradise in the distance, 500m below us, but it is a world apart.

You can't possibly decide where to live before you get here as there really is such a variety and you need to see it first.

Where are you in the UK?
Old Feb 14th 2013, 9:03 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Welcome to BE

You mean Bernieboy,Deadvim,and Amazulu
Old Feb 14th 2013, 9:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
You mean Bernieboy,Deadvim,and Amazulu
I'll let them work out which of you is which
Old Feb 14th 2013, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Gardgang is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your replies!
Lesleys your location sounds perfect where is that? We currently live in a small village near Dover, Kent. The school is just down the road and small but we are close enough yet far way enough to shops, hospitals etc!

We would have to rent our house and judging by what I've seen there seems to be quite a few two story new builds!?
Old Feb 14th 2013, 11:09 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Lesleys your location sounds perfect where is that? We currently live in a small village near Dover, Kent. The school is just down the road and small but we are close enough yet far way enough to shops, hospitals etc!

We would have to rent our house and judging by what I've seen there seems to be quite a few two story new builds!?
varsity GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND
Old Feb 14th 2013, 10:18 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

It would help to know where your husband's job will be, as the Gold Coast covers an area which is about 60km N-S and around 20km E-W, and the traffic on some roads can be horrendous at peak hours: so if the job is towards the north don't go looking around the south initially. There is only a single train line which is geared towards moving commuters into Brisbane rather than providing a convenient local service.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

We moved from the Kent countryside near Sevenoaks to Mount Tamborine. We knew the area already but still rented for 2 years before we bought land and built a single storey house. I know some people bemoan the lack of old houses here but that doesn't mean there isn't a choice in styles. There are older style Queenslander houses with lots of wood and verandahs through to contemporary clean lines and curves. It's all down to what you like, the size of the block of land and your budget.

Here are a couple of examples of contrasting styles

http://kendall-realestate.com.au/sea...clagiraba-qld/
http://kendall-realestate.com.au/sea...home-for-sale/
Old Feb 15th 2013, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

We are just South of Beenleigh(Ormeau). We rate the State schools here. But they`re not all great. Most schools are fairly large and if small are in the process of growing as they usually serve large sprawling suburbs. We were recommended the school, So rented in the area. And have since bought nearby so our kids had no more upheaval. Goldcoast gets some bad press. I lived in Cheltenham UK and hated the area we lived in. Goldcoast is afew hundred times the size. Just look around on here and ask about places you may like to settle. When you rent look for one with plenty of privately owned around it. Common indicator of rentals is free papers littering the driveway even when they`re occupied. No garantees but maybe quieter environment. Rent 3 years ago was $1500 month,Electric $3/400 a quarter, 2nd hand cars expensive, We got a 2007 Toyota Echo for $6000 cheap as chips to run though. Australia is an expensive place to live as you may have seen already, But finacially we are much better off here than the UK. Good luck and enjoy.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously the Gold Coast is whatever you want it to be. Research Main Beach/Surfers, Nerang/Highland Park, Mudgeeraba/Bonogin, Clear island Waters,Mt tambourine, Sanctuary Cove etc. They are all on the Gold Coast but may as well be on different planets they are all so different.

The Blackpool with sharks a previous poster refered to does not describe the Gold Coast.

One thing regarding schooling, private education is much more common here for working class people. We never considered it before we came, were adament we would not to it when we were aware of it but for various reasons have ended up with our daughter in private education. An expense we had not really factored for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.