any advice for an aussie chick?

Wikiposts

any advice for an aussie chick?

Old Sep 24th 2003, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

veevee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default any advice for an aussie chick?

Hi Everyone,
I am a newie to this! I am writing for some advice from those who will know! My mom is English as is my partner. i have been to the UK a couple of times and am going for Christmas, what i am struggling with now is whether or not to go and live in the north-east for a while and experience what it is like. i know i can always come back (my partner has residency). I am 23 and i think it would just be really exciting and interesting to live in UK - what do you guys think am i doing a "grass is always greener" thing? its just that one minute i am really excited about the idea and then the next i am thinking why the hell would i leave here? Anyone else had this experience?

Vee Vee
Old Sep 24th 2003, 10:22 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any advice for an aussie chick?

Originally posted by veevee
Hi Everyone,
I am a newie to this! I am writing for some advice from those who will know! My mom is English as is my partner. i have been to the UK a couple of times and am going for Christmas, what i am struggling with now is whether or not to go and live in the north-east for a while and experience what it is like. i know i can always come back (my partner has residency). I am 23 and i think it would just be really exciting and interesting to live in UK - what do you guys think am i doing a "grass is always greener" thing? its just that one minute i am really excited about the idea and then the next i am thinking why the hell would i leave here? Anyone else had this experience?

Vee Vee
I think you should use the moving back to the UK forum here as the people in this forum are all trying to get out. You might get a mixed set of answers!

Personally I do like the UK even though I am moving to Melbourne, though I have found a deteriation in the country over the past few years.

As to the North East do you have anymore specific ideas on location like cities or towns? We live in the Midlands and house prices cost of living etc is quite expensive. To rent a medium 2 bed flat here would be about £450. In the North it will be a bit cheaper, down South it is more expensive.

What part of Oz are you moving from and what are you views of Oz in gerneral?
Old Sep 24th 2003, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Oh ok, i didnt know about the other forum! I would be thinking of moving to Newcastle area, a friend from university has been in Sunderland for a couple of years and loves it. I am from Perth and i absolutely love it, i think its just amazing but i think its hard to find work here. I have an honours degree and a masters and i am finding it really hard to get a decent job. i look on the UK websites and it seems like there is loads of work?
Old Sep 24th 2003, 10:40 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Oh ok, i didnt know about the other forum! I would be thinking of moving to Newcastle area, a friend from university has been in Sunderland for a couple of years and loves it. I am from Perth and i absolutely love it, i think its just amazing but i think its hard to find work here. I have an honours degree and a masters and i am finding it really hard to get a decent job. i look on the UK websites and it seems like there is loads of work?
Can't say I've been to Newcastle though the people there do have a friendly reputation and you might have a few problems with the language.

With regard to jobs graduates can usually find work in the cities. The earnings vary massivley across the company but so does cost of living.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 10:55 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,

Vee Vee
Go for it. You don't want to have any regrets in your life. You cannot have too much to lose. My Australian wife enjoyed the uk and seeing Europe for over 3 years. We are now living back in OZ.

I have only been out in Newcastle a couple of times but both were great nights out. The city has as buzz about it.

Where in the North East would you be going? There are a lot of very different places there.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the reply, my partner's family lives in northumberland so i guess we would start there. I have just heard from a friend in london - she has spent the last week in greece (just a last minute holiday) to me that sounds so amazing!!! So as far as kids go does anyone recommend bringing them up in the UK? I hear of so many people saying Australian children are rude and lack manners and that the British school system is better. Any comments?
Old Sep 24th 2003, 11:39 pm
tennisoz

thanks for the reply, my partner's family lives in northumberland so i guess we would start there. I have just heard from a friend in london - she has spent the last week in greece (just a last minute holiday) to me that sounds so amazing!!! So as far as kids go does anyone recommend bringing them up in the UK? I hear of so many people saying Australian children are rude and lack manners and that the British school system is better. Any comments?
I am an Aussie, married to a Scot and currently living in Scotland. I am also a schoolteacher and have taught in Oz and (currently) in Scotland. My experience is that you will find children with a lack of manners and rudeness in both (every) country. The majority in both countries are reasonably polite and courteous for what it is worth. Having said that there has been a noticeable rise in the minority of trouble makers over the years in Scotland anyway which is all I can comment on now.

I have also stayed in and visited Newcastle quite a lot and as others have said it is a vibrant, friendly place. It is also home to NUFC, the best. Shearer, Shearer!!

Go for it!

TennisOz

Old Sep 24th 2003, 11:41 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tennisoz
I am an Aussie, married to a Scot and currently living in Scotland. I am also a schoolteacher and have taught in Oz and (currently) in Scotland. My experience is that you will find children with a lack of manners and rudeness in both (every) country. The majority in both countries are reasonably polite and courteous for what it is worth. Having said that there has been a noticeable rise in the minority of trouble makers over the years in Scotland anyway which is all I can comment on now.

I have also stayed in and visited Newcastle quite a lot and as others have said it is a vibrant, friendly place. It is also home to NUFC, the best. Shearer, Shearer!!

Go for it!

TennisOz
If the best are in the relegation zone Palace are up there in the gods.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 11:41 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah go for it.

My girlfriend has been living in the UK (London now Nottingham) for over a year now and loves the place.

Lots to see and do and Europe is on your doorstep.

Newcastle is a great city but the lingo could have you stumped!!!

TT

Hi Everyone,

Vee Vee
Old Sep 24th 2003, 11:45 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

Vee Vee
Hey there,

You probably already know this, but if your mum is English then you can get a Certificate of the RIght to Abode which means that you can live and work in the UK for pretty much as long as you like (you'd have to renew the visa each time you got a new passport). It also means easier access to Europe as you are considered an EU citizen when it comes to passport control etc. My partner is an aussie whose mum was born here (newcastle, interestingly enough!). He has Right to Abode. We came back over here in Oct 2000 - 3 years on, he's absolutely loving it and I'm trying to prise him away to go back to Oz!

Harriet
Old Sep 24th 2003, 11:47 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Hi Everyone,

Vee Vee
Yea just do it !

I personally love the UK, and i reckon you would its worth a go, even if its just for a year or two to try it out.

My wife is an aussie and she loves it here. I'll be honest, she does prefer it back in oz, but she has said she could confortably live here.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 12:44 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by bondipom
If the best are in the relegation zone Palace are up there in the gods.
As we know old chap subjectivity comes into our opinion as to who we think are the best. At least NUFC are in the premiership, UEFA Cup, Champions League next year etc, what league do Buckingham Palace in?!!

In jest, you've apparently had a bad day.

TennisOz