Ants....

Old Mar 15th 2006, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

sid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nice
Default Ants....

.... are driving me crazy!! How the hell do you get rid of the little buggers??

We mainly get them in the kitchen, bathroom and laundry. We don't leave food out but it isn't even that that seems to interest them. They'll go after a drop of water, a sticky mark on my daughter's clothes and this morning even a roll of sellotape (seemed they were attracted to the glue!) But once they start coming there's hundreds of them. Spraying does stop them but only until the next time. I tried something called "ant-rid" that supposedly they take back to the nest but they still reappeared. I don't know where the nests are but I think there are probably some in the garden and maybe in the roof. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone found a solution that works?

Thanks!
Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:02 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Ants....

Originally Posted by sid_s

We mainly get them in the kitchen, bathroom and laundry. We don't leave food out but it isn't even that that seems to interest them. They'll go after a drop of water, a sticky mark on my daughter's clothes and this morning even a roll of sellotape (seemed they were attracted to the glue!) But once they start coming there's hundreds of them. Spraying does stop them but only until the next time. I tried something called "ant-rid" that supposedly they take back to the nest but they still reappeared. I don't know where the nests are but I think there are probably some in the garden and maybe in the roof. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone found a solution that works?

Thanks!
I find the ant rid stuff works for us, but takes a couple of days.

If it is a major problem, and won't go away, you could try your local pest control people.

If you can find the nest, a kettle of boiling water works well, mainly in the garden though.

Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Here's some info....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=ants
Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:21 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with ABC, we've only ever had them once in the house and those ant rid bait things were fab. Lawn beetle killer is good for them outdoors too.

Lynn
Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Have you tried Baygon. It worked pretty fast for us and we haven't yet had them back up to 6 months later. It could just be they're not fashionable about now. I've heard cockcoaches are the new ants and am so looking forward to them.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:29 am
Just Joined

boomtime is an unknown quantity at this point

If they're the little brown ones (3-4mm) long they are most probably Argentine ants and you will need to get pest control in. They will go away in the winter months (underground), but once they settle in they create a complete underground network that can undermine paving etc. Don't wait for winter if they are argentine ants. (hint: pick one up and crush it between your fingers and then smell it. Most ants have that acidic ant smell, but argentine ants don't).

cheers

Originally Posted by flip
Have you tried Baygon. It worked pretty fast for us and we haven't yet had them back up to 6 months later. It could just be they're not fashionable about now. I've heard cockcoaches are the new ants and am so looking forward to them.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by boomtime
If they're the little brown ones (3-4mm) long they are most probably Argentine ants and you will need to get pest control in. They will go away in the winter months (underground), but once they settle in they create a complete underground network that can undermine paving etc. Don't wait for winter if they are argentine ants. (hint: pick one up and crush it between your fingers and then smell it. Most ants have that acidic ant smell, but argentine ants don't).

cheers
Argentine Ant a pest in Sydney, Melbourne, Hobart, northern Tasmania and Perth

http://www.boomerangei.com.au/ants.htm

Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
We've got exactly the same problem but just in the bathroom and laundry??? Picked up my son's bath toy 'a soft crocodile' and they were all over it??....really odd and a right pain

Sue x
Old Mar 15th 2006, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I picked up my laptop last night and there were ants crawling in and out of all the keys. Goodness knows what they like in there!!! At least you can squash them with your finger unlike a cockroach!!!!!!!
Old Mar 15th 2006, 10:44 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

I was told once that the reason the ants here go after things like water and glue and things is that they are after moisture. Could try leaving a bit of water in a saucer or something and see if that attracts them as a short term solution......

Thanks!
Old Mar 15th 2006, 10:46 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Thanks!
we've had the little feckers in the kitchen! I found out they were coming through the wooden windowsill and I've sprayed it with Baygon and they haven't come back...that was about 6 weeks ago!?

Keep finding what look like silver fish now though????

It's a never-ending bug fest!!
Old Mar 15th 2006, 11:18 am

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Welshie

It's a never-ending bug fest!!

Thats Australia for you

Here's how to safely prevent them from taking over your home and garden.

Steps:
1. Determine why they are entering your property and eliminate the food, water and/or housing that they need to survive.

2. Promptly clean after meals and take all trash out of your home.

3. Move outdoor trash and recycling bins as far from your home as possible.

4. Tightly wrap and store food set out on kitchen counters.

5. Refrigerate all perishable food, especially in the summer, when fruits and vegetables may spoil quickly.

6. Remove pools of standing water. Ants get thirsty too.

7. Seal up cracks. The least toxic method is 100 percent silicon caulk.

8. Sprinkle powdered red chili pepper, paprika, dried peppermint or borax on ant trails, in cracks and near entryways to deter them from moving in.

9. Rid your garden of aphids, whiteflies and mealybugs. These sap-feeding insects excrete "honeydew," a sugary favorite of ants.

10. Spray or paint sticky barriers made out of tanglefoot products on plants and trees. These barriers prevent ants from climbing up stems and trunks to feed.

11. Create liquid bait by mixing 1 tsp. boric acid with 2 1/2 fluid oz. corn syrup or honey. Heat until the boric acid dissolves. In an eyedropper, add equal amounts of water and solution to drop in places ants frequent for 2 weeks.

12. Make a natural repellent of citrus peelings and water in a blender and pour it over the anthill.

13. Drown out ants by pouring boiling water over the mounds and into the cracks where they dwell. Roughly 3 gallons of water per mound ought to do the trick.

Tips:

Repeat all of the above as necessary. Ants are hardy creatures, and it's difficult to get rid of them.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 2:13 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ScottyTee
Thats Australia for you

Here's how to safely prevent them from taking over your home and garden.

Steps:

8. Sprinkle powdered red chili pepper, paprika, dried peppermint or borax on ant trails, in cracks and near entryways to deter them from moving in.
Good advice. I always use essential oil of peppermint. Ten - twenty drops of pure, neat oil across the door thresholds have always been an effective deterrent for ants for us. Not tried chilli pepper or paprika, but will give that a go too.

12. Make a natural repellent of citrus peelings and water in a blender and pour it over the anthill.

13. Drown out ants by pouring boiling water over the mounds and into the cracks where they dwell. Roughly 3 gallons of water per mound ought to do the trick.
#12 sounds good - will try that.

#13 works too - but will kill the grass if you pour it onto grass. I blasted an anthill with boiling water a couple of days ago and it has really buggered the grass. I'm just hoping it regrows again soon.

K sent for very helpful advice that isn't full of chemicals!!

Sue