Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anti pom feelings in Oz

Anti pom feelings in Oz

Old Sep 19th 2006, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anti pom feelings in Oz

Originally Posted by sour kraut
I've had exactly the same experience when I first moved to the UK, people were very friendly, very generous, but it took a long time to connect with someone. Might have something to do with them not being sure how long I'm around for and if it's worth it, get my drift?
Anyway, I stuck around for 6 years and now consider it my second home and all poms I meet my 'fellow brits' *gg*.
Well, didn't stop me from buggering off to Oz... But I guess what I'm trying to say, give people and yourself a chance and don't be impatient.
Prejudice is around everywhere, that's how we all identify each other. Gee, in Britain I got forever accused of bombing everybody's chippie. But it wasn't me!
In my experience all the pommie jokes over here are rather friendly and well-meaning. And I've always admired the brits for being a people that can laugh about themselves.
Yup-I have been guilty of "You bombed our chip shop" --met a Russian bloke about a week ago -got chatting and I made the observation that during the 60's us Brits were sh#t scared of the Russian state, we both had a laugh at this--crazy world sometimes--not exactly laughing about the Muslim problem at moment tho.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

johnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of lightjohnny nofrfolk is a glorious beacon of light

I think alot of Aussies have an inferiority complex is a pity as they have created a great country if you like that way of life.

They should put the past behind them and take people how they find them not from where they come from.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

We haven't had any problems at all with any of the Australians we have met. We have been invited to BBQ's already by the neighbours and they stop us in the street every day to talk. Guess it depends where abouts you live.

They do all think we are Scottish though
Old Sep 19th 2006, 11:21 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

i have had no probs either. the people I know that have had problems with 'locals' are the ones that go on about how they do things in england, how they can't get their brand of something in Coles. When in rome and all that and you will be fine.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Our experience here has been very friendly we have had no problems with POM jokes ever and have been welcommed into the community with open arms. Maybe it helps that we are in a country town where there aren't that many immigrants and the majority of people can trace some sort of European background in the not too distant past.
Sometimes you just have to throw yourself into community issues and show that you care about being here.
Nicky
Old Sep 19th 2006, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I've never, ever in 27 years of living here ever encountered any anti-pom or anti-migrant feelings whatever. Never amongst my neighbours, never at work, never at the shops and definitely not at the school gate. When my kids started school there were countless different nationalities of mothers waiting at the gate. The australians would have had no-one to speak to, if they'd refused to talk to migrants!

Australians have been accepting migrants for centuries. There are people arriving from different countries all the time - it's nothing new and there is no 'mass influx' of migrants all of a sudden that would affect their view of them.

There may well be some anti-migrant feeling in areas where migrants have never traditionally settled before but in the eastern suburbs of Sydney I reckon it's practially non-existent.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
I've never, ever in 27 years of living here ever encountered any anti-pom or anti-migrant feelings whatever. Never amongst my neighbours, never at work, never at the shops and definitely not at the school gate. When my kids started school there were countless different nationalities of mothers waiting at the gate. The australians would have had no-one to speak to, if they'd refused to talk to migrants!

Australians have been accepting migrants for centuries. There are people arriving from different countries all the time - it's nothing new and there is no 'mass influx' of migrants all of a sudden that would affect their view of them.

There may well be some anti-migrant feeling in areas where migrants have never traditionally settled before but in the eastern suburbs of Sydney I reckon it's practially non-existent.

Agree with all that.

At my daughters school there are 126 different nationalities, and the school is extremely proud of that fact.

I reckon at the end of the day its all about attitude, I think it's more the English who have a problem with accepting different nationalities and ways of life, and them people will find it hard to fit in and be accepted.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
Agree with all that.

At my daughters school there are 126 different nationalities, and the school is extremely proud of that fact.

I reckon at the end of the day its all about attitude, I think it's more the English who have a problem with accepting different nationalities and ways of life, and them people will find it hard to fit in and be accepted.
Totally agree.

I don't think of myself as any different to anyone else. I'm just someone who lives here - the same as everyone else who lives here. I expect to be treated the same as everyone else and therefore I am treated the same any everyone else. Does that make sense?!

If anyone was rude to me, I'd automatically assume it was because they were a rude person. It wouldn't occur to me to blame it on any anti-pom sentiment.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 12:04 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Plus I think it's the same wherever you go - even a Geordie moving to Scotland might encounter problems that could be labelled racist but are really just illustrative of typical human behaviour wherever you go.

I found it easy to make good acquaintances when I lived in Scotland (I'm an Aussie) but incredibly hard to make good friends - unless you were married or going to be married to a local (i was living in a small community).

Yet now that myself and oh (Scottish) are back in Australia in the same kind of small community, oh has become the centre of attention for the entire bloody town - everyone knows and loves him and wants to be his friend. All the wee girls flock around him and NOBODY remembers me yet I grew up here!!!!!

Talk about a case of the green-eyed monster! Damn him. I tell him it's because Australians are so friendly and open and so desperate for awee bit of culture that they'll jump on anything with an accent and Scots are all miserable unfriendly gits...

I'm only joking of course. It may very well be that he's a friendly outgoing kind of guy and I'm a miserable bore...

That's the point anyway...who knows? Some places will be more welcoming than others and some ppl will THINK some places are more welcoming than others because the place suits their personality...

And for the record: after watching my o/h in my town I now think that Aussies tell anti-pom jokes out of a secret fascination with all things British and do it purely to get your attention (in that loutish schoolyard kind of way). So just say 'Crikey mate you're bloody funny arentcha ya flaming galah?' in your Scottish/Geordie/Cockney take on the Australian drawl and walk away!

Shark in the water! was something I ALWAYS got in Scotland and I just cannot fathom it. Wasn't Jaws an American film????
Old Sep 20th 2006, 12:33 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I moved around a fair bit in the UK - whenever I moved to a new town I'd find that (what a shock!) everyone already had existing circles of friends and family whom they'd known for years. I didn't sit on my arse and expect people to welcome me into the fold - I got out there and met them. Didn't expect it to be any different here - and it isn't. Worse thing you can do is force the issue - just get out and about, do things, join clubs, drink in your local - and friendships will naturally occur.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 12:45 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

I've never, ever in 27 years of living here ever encountered any anti-pom or anti-migrant feelings whatever.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLENTY of racism around Australia, no different from the U.K.

Last edited by mackinnon; Sep 20th 2006 at 1:28 am.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 1:22 am
Just had a book published

Brian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to behold

I think it's the same as anywhere. I've met some friendly Aussies, and some very rude ones. It is hard to make new friends, but then that would be the same if you went to any country, or even if you moved to another city in England where you don't know anyone. It's harder if your new work colleagues are dull and unsociable - you're lucky if they are up for a drink or a night out. One thing I find strange here is that Aussies seem to be very much early risers, and so trying to get them to actually go out midweek is very difficult! Anyone else noticed that? As someone else mentioned, many seem friendly, but making a real friend or real mate is much harder.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mackinnon

I didn't say there was no racism.

I said I had never encountered any anti-pom or anti-migrant feelings. By that, I meant directed at me personally.

Last edited by NickyC; Sep 20th 2006 at 1:43 am.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mackinnon

Maybe: I am sure you are right. But she is reporting what she has, and I quote "encountered". Not what you think, or what someone else thinks.

I tend to agree with the last few statements. It takes time to get into social groups, and most people who can't, or won't 'fit in' should first look at themselves.

Nothing to stop people from actively seeking out their own nationality but I wouldn't recommend it as the only attempt of integration.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 1:46 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say there was no racism.

I said I had never encountered any anti-pom or anti-migrant feelings. By that, I meant directed at me personally.
O.K., understood.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.