Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anti-Mosquito spray

Anti-Mosquito spray

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

nadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nice
Default Anti-Mosquito spray

Has anyone found a mosquito repellant that works? I have sensitive skin and find that Aeroguard stings and then itches which kind of defeats the object. I tried a natural citronella one but I still got bitten. My mother-in-law is coming in Jan and reacts badly to bites so I'd like to be able to recommend her something. The mosquitos are only likely to get worse so I'm trying to be prepared!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti-Mosquito spray

Originally Posted by nadders
Has anyone found a mosquito repellant that works? I have sensitive skin and find that Aeroguard stings and then itches which kind of defeats the object. I tried a natural citronella one but I still got bitten. My mother-in-law is coming in Jan and reacts badly to bites so I'd like to be able to recommend her something. The mosquitos are only likely to get worse so I'm trying to be prepared!
If you have sensitive skin or just cant stand the thought of covering yourself with toxic chemicals, spray it on your clothes, shoes, hat etc instead. Works just as well.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
If you have sensitive skin or just cant stand the thought of covering yourself with toxic chemicals, spray it on your clothes, shoes, hat etc instead. Works just as well.
Yep I do that particularly for the children, round the rims of their hats is great. We get on well with Aerogaurd but "Off" is good too and supposed to be kinder on skin too. Good luck!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

I've recently put thread on mosquito bites, I have been given loads of different product to use, take a look at it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488205
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 3:29 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Off is good and I beleive they do a sensitive one
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

the one with the most % of deet with be best the label should tell the %
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Phil Burnham is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to react terribly to mossies, and they always seem to target me. But now (if I'm in a malaria/dengue fever free area) I just take hayfever tablets if I get bitten, and I get no reaction to the bite.

A much better option for me than using poisons like deet.. I find Telfast a really good brand.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:48 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Phil Burnham
I used to react terribly to mossies, and they always seem to target me. But now (if I'm in a malaria/dengue fever free area) I just take hayfever tablets if I get bitten, and I get no reaction to the bite.

A much better option for me than using poisons like deet.. I find Telfast a really good brand.
Yep me too, I started taking Executive B vitamins now and have not had a single mosi bite since.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

windsordave is an unknown quantity at this point

Just watched a feature on some crappy Channel 9 show that said that basil is a good deterrent. Their tip was to soak basil leaves in water, then remove the leaves and add the same amount of vodka as water to the mix. Then spray it liberally.

No idea if it works or not or if you'd be better off just drinking the vodka!
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

We have started using "Bushman" you can get it from most camping or fishing shops, it is a bit more expensive than Aeroguard but worth it you can get it with 20% or 40% or even 80 % deet, in either aerosol or cream
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 10:16 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Go indoors after dark !
Dont go near still water
Keep away from FERN type foliage.
Wear a SCUBA SUIT

fone my mate on 3808 3100 ( brisbane ) and ask about Mosquito Watches

They emit the noise of either a female mozzy or male mozzy, and so no mozzys come near you,, cos its proven mozzys aint gay..

Think he still has some left, he imported about 10,000 of them cpl years ago.

I will be in there tomoz, and will ask for you OK !
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone found a mosquito repellant that works? I have sensitive skin and find that Aeroguard stings and then itches which kind of defeats the object.
Me too. Autan Repel and Off (both at Woolies) are DEET-free and do work. If all else fails try Stop Itch - I've tried lots and this is the best.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Agree with Off, Deet free, smells OK and works. I first discovered it in Egypt so was really glad when I got here and found it available in the Supermarkets.

We do get strange looks from friends though when at dusk my other half tells me I should go and Off myself
Old Nov 4th 2007, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

nadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nice

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I'll definately try OFF and hope the damned things do!!!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Go indoors after dark !
Dont go near still water
Keep away from FERN type foliage.
Wear a SCUBA SUIT

fone my mate on 3808 3100 ( brisbane ) and ask about Mosquito Watches

They emit the noise of either a female mozzy or male mozzy, and so no mozzys come near you,, cos its proven mozzys aint gay..

Think he still has some left, he imported about 10,000 of them cpl years ago.

I will be in there tomoz, and will ask for you OK !
Wow, the watch thing sounds very cool. Could make good Xmas gifts too. Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.