Anti-Irish

Old Oct 13th 2007, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

treacy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ireland

Hi all,

How are the Irish perceived in Australia in general and Queensland in particular.

I notice on this site some postings about how English people have come up against some levels of abuse.

Thanks

Last edited by treacy; Oct 13th 2007 at 3:53 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2007, 9:21 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti-Irish

40% of Australians have some Irish ancestry.

G
Old Oct 13th 2007, 9:25 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ireland

I'm Cornish and my accent is mistaken for Irish 8 times out of 10.
I guess that means most of the people I come across but don't even speak to must think the same.
I've not perceived and problem at all.
Old Oct 13th 2007, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

Fenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura about

I personally havnt had a problem, actually its helped quite a bit, they seem to like the Irish ( well I'm in victoria cant cant about anywhere else), so nothing negative to report at all
Old Oct 14th 2007, 4:31 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

you wont have a problem. Australian love the Irish just as long as you drink the pub dry lol
Old Oct 14th 2007, 4:34 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
you wont have a problem. Australian love the Irish just as long as you drink the pub dry lol
Nothing worse than a dry pub eh soapy,except maybe one full of english types
Old Oct 14th 2007, 4:42 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
lmao, you will be shot for that one....................
(soapy moves to the other side of the bar).............where the real beer is.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy

Bloody heathens, get back over your borders where you belong
Old Oct 14th 2007, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

qwertyuiop will become famous soon enoughqwertyuiop will become famous soon enough

only derogatory remarks I've had have been from the pommies!!
Old Oct 14th 2007, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

well as they say ..... There are two types of people in this world ... Those that are Irish and those that want to be Irish!!!

Mind you after the came last night I wish I was German!!!!
Old Oct 14th 2007, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

jdjnr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by treacy
Hi all,

How are the Irish perceived in Australia in general and Queensland in particular.

I notice on this site some postings about how English people have come up against some levels of abuse.

Thanks
You won't have any hassle being Irish - especially in Brisbane - theres always the usual slagging over the accent - to be sure, to be sure but i've had no anti-irish type behaviour over here - everyone loves the irish !!

Jon
Old Oct 14th 2007, 9:37 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks
The English are wankers, the Irish are fine, no worries.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 6:22 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks
My dad has lived in Brisbane since 1973 (he is from NI and still has a very very broad accent) and has never had one word said against him - although I have to say some of his antics in the Irish owned pub he used to frequent when I was a kid deserve several comments
Old Oct 14th 2007, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Been subject to anti-english abuse,
but experienced from the paddys in Cork, or the jocks when in Fort William and Glasgow and the taffys in Bridgend...

Its everywhere.... but then you may say its because I'm english
Old Oct 14th 2007, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

With my Irish DH and my Irish surname I may just brush up on me Irish accent as they seem alot more liked than the English.

Mind you who in the world doesnt love an Essex girl?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.