Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another timespan question !!

Another timespan question !!

Old Sep 18th 2004, 12:35 am
Just Joined

gary-o is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another timespan question !!

After reading this great site for the last couple of months i thought its time i finally joined up. As a 36 year old chef, married with 2 kids and a "few quid" in my back pocket ( same house last 10 years)i had the ok from the T.R.A. and sent off my application at the end of May. If there are any chefs out there been through it, i would love to know when they had "the call" for a medical as so far its been the slowest 4 months i've ever known..........
Old Sep 18th 2004, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Another timespan question !!

Originally Posted by gary-o
After reading this great site for the last couple of months i thought its time i finally joined up. As a 36 year old chef, married with 2 kids and a "few quid" in my back pocket ( same house last 10 years)i had the ok from the T.R.A. and sent off my application at the end of May. If there are any chefs out there been through it, i would love to know when they had "the call" for a medical as so far its been the slowest 4 months i've ever known..........
I don't think it's a cheff thing. I think they probably look at all apps equally if you know what I mean. But have you tried austimeline? That should give you some idea of the time scales involved with your visa app type.

HTH
Old Sep 18th 2004, 10:22 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Ushas]I don't think it's a cheff thing. I think they probably look at all apps equally if you know what I mean. But have you tried austimeline? That should give you some idea of the time scales involved with your visa app type.

Thanks for that i shall have a look. Very scarily we had a letter this morning from Adelaide....just a visa application acknowledgment. They said 4-6 months from lodgment so i'll just have to sit tight !!
Old Sep 18th 2004, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Signman Glen is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Another timespan question !!

Originally Posted by gary-o
Hi gary-o

I’m not a chef but most 4-6 month process times at the moment are a little longer with the 1st July mess.

Having front loaded my application (for 139 class) in march, precision metal worker (engraver),
personally I would think about getting your meds and PC’s done in the next few weeks.

Because you’re a chef I think you are on the MODL list so you will be pushed through quickly, having your med's and PC in hand will be to your advantage if you want to get out ASAP. Your entry date will be determined by the expiry date of your med’s and PC (12 month I think). So bear this in mind, if you had them done say in October 2004, your entry date will be six months approx from when you are granted a visa, or before your med’s and PC’s expire, which ever is the sooner.

Good luck and hope you achieve your dream.

Signman Glen & Sue
Old Sep 19th 2004, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Glen/Sue, you are right in thinking "chef" is on the on demand occupations list and as you know anyone applying for a trade on the MODL has their application assessed as a priority. I was under the impression you had to wait to be told to get your medicals done as i thought you had to use certain doctors/practices. I sent my police check off with my main application in May.
Some people i know waited 7 months for a medical date which was 4 weeks later and 6 weeks after the medical they had a call to say they were in. Then they had 12 months from the date of the medical to go. Their house is currently up for sale.Very exciting stuff.
Thanks for the advice. I will look into it further.........gary-o