Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another tax question

Another tax question

Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:00 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all
Question Another tax question

I currently have 2 jobs, but the combined income from both will be around the $6000. Now, I was under the impression that you could earn $6000 before paying any tax, but someone said to me that if you have a second job you HAVE to pay tax on that, whether or not you earn more that $6000.

Does anyone know?

Kx
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:06 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another tax question

Originally Posted by kar-kier
I currently have 2 jobs, but the combined income from both will be around the $6000. Now, I was under the impression that you could earn $6000 before paying any tax, but someone said to me that if you have a second job you HAVE to pay tax on that, whether or not you earn more that $6000.

Does anyone know?

Kx
You normally pay tax but claim it back at the end of the year. For $6k you'll not pay any tax when they do the sums at the end of the year.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier
Your friend got a bit confused ....

Here is what should happen: When you start job number 1, the payroll people will give you a form to sign. Amongst other things, the form will have a question whether this is your only job. And at the time you would have ticked "yes". (Your E'er would then have applied the tax-free threshold to that job. And as your earnings are under $6.000 you pay no tax on it.)

When you start job no 2, their payroll people will present you with the same form. This time, you can't tick that this is your only job. But the next question asks you whether you want the tax-free threshold applied to this job or not? If you tick "yes", you will not pay tax on this job (because you said it is under $6,000). But strictly speaking you should only ask one E'er to apply the tax-free threshold. So strictly speaking you should tick "no". Your E'er on this job will then withhold tax from every dollar you earn on this job. BUT: At the end of the tax year, you do your tax return and get it all back (as long as you don't earn over $15,000 in the 2010 tax year, you will get all your tax back).

If the payroll people didn't give you any forms to sign, I wouldn't worry. As long as you earn under $6,000 there is nothing to do really. And even if you earn over $6,000 but under $15,000, you do have to do a tax return at the end of the teax year - but you would not have to pay any tax or Medicare.

Last edited by ozhappy981; Mar 6th 2010 at 8:21 am.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:17 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ozhappy981

Here is what should happen: When you start job number 1, the payroll people will give you a form to sign. Amongst other things, the form will have a question whether this is your only job. And at the time you would have ticked "yes". (Your E'er would then have applied the tax-free threshold to that job. And as your earnings are under $6.000 you pay no tax on it.)

When you start job no 2, their payroll people will present you with the same form. This time, you can't tick that this is your only job. But the next question asks you whether you want the tax-free threshold applied to this job or not? If you tick "yes", you will not pay tax on this job (because you said it is under $6,000). But strictly speaking you should only ask one E'er to apply the tax-free threshold. So strictly speaking you should tick "yes". Your E'er on this job will then withhold tax from every dollar you earn on this job. BUT: At the end of the tax year, you do your tax return and get it all back (as long as you don't earn under $15,000 in the 2010 tax year, you will get all your tax back).

If the payroll people didn't give you any forms to sign, I wouldn't worry. As long as you earn under $6,000 there is nothing to do really. And even if you earn over $6,000 but under $15,000, you do have to do a tax return at the end of the teax year - but you would not have to pay any tax or Medicare.
Thanks SO much for that, explained PERFECTLY!!!

Kx
Old Mar 7th 2010, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Ramzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant future

Hi Ozhappy,

you seem to be a tax agent...aren't you? I am attending H&R Block tax course these days...did you also follow the same course..?

Originally Posted by ozhappy981

When you start job no 2, their payroll people will present you with the same form. This time, you can't tick that this is your only job. But the next question asks you whether you want the tax-free threshold applied to this job or not? If you tick "yes", you will not pay tax on this job (because you said it is under $6,000). But strictly speaking you should only ask one E'er to apply the tax-free threshold. So strictly speaking you should tick "no". Your E'er on this job will then withhold tax from every dollar you earn on this job. BUT: At the end of the tax year, you do your tax return and get it all back (as long as you don't earn over $15,000 in the 2010 tax year, you will get all your tax back).